• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Carrying non military issue knives

GAP said:
I think there are a couple of trolls who need to go find a new playground...... ::)

Somehow I rekon you're a Kabar man.

Me? I'm at a spiritual crossroads.  Torn between the gerber mk 2 and the Sog Seal/Seal pup. 

Did you actually see a lot of gerber Mk2s during the Vietnam war?

ObedientiaZelum said:
Somehow I rekon you're a Kabar man.

Me? I'm at a spiritual crossroads.  Torn between the gerber mk 2 and the Sog Seal/Seal pup. 

Did you actually see a lot of gerber Mk2s during the Vietnam war?

no

Weird, I read it was nearly as popular as the Kabar.

Interestingly there's some talk about taking the bayonet off the tacvest and stashing it to be brought out 'on order'.

ObedientiaZelum said:

Interestingly there's some talk about taking the bayonet off the tacvest and stashing it to be brought out 'on order'.

Makes sense since it just gets in the way in the current configuration ......

ObedientiaZelum said:

It was mainly the $$ involved and the delivery system. As a Sgt., I made $200.00/mo with $65.00 combat pay (tax free while in FMF PAC). The only delivery system was mail, very erratic, slow mail. You made do with what you had.....that does not say we didn't have our share of ninjasnipersealteamcommandos.......but they were mostly laughed out.....

but, like Jackie Gleason said, "The past was better remembered than lived"...

GAP said:
It was mainly the $$ involved and the delivery system. As a Sgt., I made $200.00/mo with $65.00 combat pay (tax free while in FMF PAC). The only delivery system was mail, very erratic, slow mail. You made do with what you had.....that does not say we didn't have our share of ninjasnipersealteamcommandos.......but they were mostly laughed out.....

but, like Jackie Gleason said, "The past was better remembered than lived"...

Wow how times have changed since then, right Gap?

Now Sgts make between $2124 to 5390/month US (proposed 2012 base rates) depending on time in and pay grade....and combat pay is $225/month US

Mail system is still slow and very erratic though!  >:D

NFLD Sapper said:
Wow how times have changed since then, right Gap?

Now Sgts make between 2124 to 5390/month (proposed 2012 base rates) depending on time in and pay grade....and combat pay is 225/month

There's a thread from about a year ago comparing US and Ca pay rates over the years....remember the US was a conscription army at that time.....If I remember correctly the CF at that time were paying something in the order of 1600-1700/month....an enormous sum in those times, but it was an all volunteer army then too.....

Times.....they do change.... :nod:

By the same token, I see pics of my sons in combat gear and wonder how they can carry it all on top of their ruck, et al......we had a flack jacket, helmet, ruck (with C rations, cans not bags) and weapons....and we suffered heat exhaustion even at that....

NFLD Sapper said:
Makes sense since it just gets in the way in the current configuration ......

Sorry NFLD I'm not too sure what you mean by this?

Do you mean the placement of the bayonet is in a pretty silly spot?

ObedientiaZelum said:

Silly doesn't cover it, I'm still surprised I haven't heard of someone stabbing themselves by accident :/.

ObedientiaZelum said:

Yes

NSDreamer said:
Silly doesn't cover it, I'm still surprised I haven't heard of someone stabbing themselves by accident :/.

:goodpost:

My Russell #3 stays in its sheath, but I carry my V-42 in my teeth...

ObedientiaZelum said:
I had always thought the Kabar's were issued, my mistake.

They were.....or what we knew as a Kabar, but you were asking about gerber Mk2s

When I first joined the infantry, I carried a foot long antitank KA-BAR. After about 5 minutes, I realized this was a mistake.

Now, 5 years later, I swear by my Gerber and my 'cricket'. The Gerber was issued, and the CKRT was picked up for cheap. This is the one I have.
http://www.crkt.com/Crawford-NECK-Black-with-Olive-Drab-Cord-Wrap
The wrapping is excessive, but makes it easy to hold through a gloved hand /in the rain. The blade is very thick, so you have no fear of breaking it. The tanto tip is very useful, and I have used it for everything- cutting 550 to digging holes.

IMO, all you need is a short blade. Unless, of course, you are Scuba Recce Ninja Master Sniper qualified.

The Gerber (or any multi-tool) is essential in my experience. I can not count the number of times I have heard "Hey does anyone have a Gerber I can use for a 'sec?" I keep mine on a carabiner, hanging from my TV, and it gets used, frequently.

As other members have said, expect to loose anything you may have. Whether it falls out, gets ripped off, gets stolen, gets broken, or some random guy "borrows it", thing just have a tendency to go missing.

Dkeh said:
IMO, all you need is a short blade. Unless, of course, you are Scuba Recce Ninja Master Sniper qualified.
So RECCE platoon, Clearence divers, unarmed combat instructors and snipers are on the okay list for large knives?

Who carries the tomahawks ;)

No one carries Tomahawks, they are crew served.  ;)

Big unwieldy things they are until the rockets fire and the guidance package kicks in.....

We had a guy bring a Machete to the field. Everyone laughed at first, then we borrowed it to make improvised defensive positions.

I think we should all be issued battle axes. There is no problem in life you can not solve with the appropriate amount of battle axe.

Dkeh said:
There is no problem in life you can not solve with the appropriate amount of battle axe.

Ok, solve this one:

0.jpg

Jim Seggie said:
No one carries Tomahawks, they are crew served.  ;)

Big unwieldy things they are until the rockets fire and the guidance package kicks in.....

Checkmate! Well played.

Back