• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Carrying non military issue knives

Josh_Robertson

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm currently waiting on hearing back about my application to RMC for September. And I have two questions: 1. I have a fairly extensive collection of knives, several that I have come to be very accustomed to from hunting, camping, hiking ect. will it be an issue if I bring a couple to RMC with the intention of adding one to my kit during basic training and/or field ops?

2. A good buddy of mine is being sworn in (Reserves - The Canadian Scottish Regiment) and I would like to get him a commemorative gift. I was thinking something like this http://sogknives.com/store/SE-37.html with a custom engraving on it. Will he be able to carry this with him? also what kind of carry system should I get it with? I was thinking something that was MOLLE compatible but I'm not sure if the CF even uses that system.

Thanks for any help.

Josh_Robertson said:
with the intention of adding one to my kit during basic training and/or field ops?

Leave the knives at home. This is not some sort of Rambo tryout. When you are all grown up and fully trained, you will know what you need and what your unit allows.

CDN Aviator said:
Leave the knives at home. This is not some sort of Rambo tryout. When you are all grown up and fully trained, you will know what you need and what your unit allows.
Plus the standard issue Gerber multitool is probably sufficient for training.

Sadukar09 said:

If you don't have it taken from you within the first three days for almost cutting digits off*

*I served with a guy who was threatened with a QL4 Gerber course when they first came out.

Sadukar09 said:

St Jean didn't issue us the gerber.....I recommend a small locking blade knife not in excess of 4inches or so.  No need for anything that big even, especially in Farnham but a knife is surely essential.

On my course:

First thing they did, was take away any and all non-issue blades.  Their reasoning: "This is a very stressful course and everyone will be under a lot of pressure.  We don't want anyone to get hurt because buddy loses it".

The next thing they do is issue everyone bayonets to keep in their lockers...

EDIT TO ADD:

My advice: leave them at home.

We did not get issued Gerbers, either. I showed up with a Leatherman and our course WO said we were allowed to keep multi-tools. I was happy I had it, and some of my peers wished they did. Eventually a few of them ended up buying their own.

I wouldn't show up with anything more than a multi-tool... there's a better chance they'll take it, and there's not a whole lot of field craft involved in the course, nothing a good multi-tool can't handle.

Josh_Robertson said:
and I would like to get him a commemorative gift.
Get him fold-up knife that costs less than $20.  That way, when he loses it, he won't feel so bad.  Big, straight blades like that SOG knife will only end up being a PITA when he tries to access it on his belt under all his gear (he won't be able to wear it attached to his gear - gotta be the same as the guy beside you).

Everyone here is giving you great advice. If you show up with something that will draw attention; it will draw attention.

If you start talking about "being good with knives" or your knife skills or whatever people will make fun of you and you won't hear the end of it.
Wait until you're trained to pull out your +5 dragonslayer. 

Multipliers are life savers- one recently saved me a 23 KM walk in -30C

As for a gift for your buddy.  Personally I don't think there is anything that bad about big straight blade knives (I carry one in the field and was thinking of buying the one in your link) but a friend recently bought me a CRKT M16SF (Or something liek that)  knife. It's not a huge blade as I'm sure you know but the sentiment behind it means I never leave the house without it now, civi street or the field. 
If you scale down a little your friend can carry it off work as well.

Fack I never even looked at the link for the gift. That knife, IMHO, is waaaay too long to be practical. I have the SOG Seal Pup Elite, the smaller version, 4.85" blade I think.. and I got sick of it being on my belt in the field. That might be okay in the woods doing civilian stuff (which is why I bought the Seal Pup Elite, the decision was based on my civilian experiences in the woods), but with all the damn kit you're wearing in the field you don't want a big foot-long piece of steel on you. It gets in the way, and barely gets used. That's my opinion, of course,and most people that have posted in this thread have more military experience than me.

I now have a SOG folder with a 3.75" blade to keep on my tac-vest. Big enough for the jobs my Leatherman can't do, small enough to be practical / not to get in the way.

ballz said:
We did not get issued Gerbers, either. I showed up with a Leatherman and our course WO said we were allowed to keep multi-tools. I was happy I had it, and some of my peers wished they did. Eventually a few of them ended up buying their own.

I wouldn't show up with anything more than a multi-tool... there's a better chance they'll take it, and there's not a whole lot of field craft involved in the course, nothing a good multi-tool can't handle.

Ditto for my course, no issued Gerbers and many of us had Leathermans or small Gerber knives like this one:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Knives/E-Z-Out-Jr-Knife_06551

Myself and another candidate had this Leatherman:

http://www.leatherman.com/product/MUT

None of us ever ran into any problems on BMOQ with these.  I wished I brought extra carbon scrapers for the MUT though, mine broke fairly quickly.

Buy a $20 Canadian Tire jobby for your initial courses.  If you pass and all that, then look at some gucci stuff/use what you get issued.  Don't show up looking like a kit-slut before you even get issued a gitch.

:2c:

You do not need a knife for your initial training; if you do, the military will give you one. 

Just like a rifle.  If you are deemed worthy, you will get one of those too.

GnyHwy said:
You do not need a knife for your initial training; if you do, the military will give you one.

We already established that St Jean is supposed to issue you one....they are not issuing them.

Some great advise here, and lots to take into consideration. Just wanted to mention I didn't have the intention of sounding like a rambo wanna be, I think a knife is a tool... and possibly one of your most important for civilian wood craft. But the multi tool comments are really helpful I hadn't thought to bring mine.

Cheers

Do not do/bring anything that will make you stand out.

That's as simple as it gets and it applies for every single situation.

You're going to get enough cock just for showing up. Don't ask for more.

Scott said:
Do not do/bring anything that will make you stand out.

That's as simple as it gets and it applies for every single situation.

You're going to get enough **** just for showing up. Don't ask for more.

Sage words.  But if you just have to have something, as others have suggested make it a multi tool. 

Josh_Robertson said:
and possibly one of your most important for civilian wood craft.

You are not joining a wood hobby club so, please, put aside what you think you know.

Good luck.

Ahhh Knife guy. I think every course has one. The guys who shows up with a bag full of knifes that he uses while practicing bush craft at home. Leave the knifes home, don't bother buying a multitool. I showed up to basic with a second hand suit and a boot brush and did just fine. They didnt issue out gerbers back then either. IIRC once into the field portion they gave each section 1 gerber for usage; and honestly I think it was buried in someones kit in fear of misplacing it.

During a couple deployments and years in the field I have yet to find use for a knife that wasn't issued. I've used the gerber a few times but usually just stuck it in my kit somewhere. And on occasion used the issued machete to  clear a spot on the ground to sleep.

The military gives you MOST everything you need to do your job (they no longer have the issued watches which IMHO sucks...as I found out in panjuai when my watch broke. Luckly the ANA sourced me one locally for 1$ that has a excellent "adpust" button.).

I wouldn't waste money on anything prior to basic.

Back