• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

I said:
ex: 4x^2 + 3y^7 - 9 = wtf? Just multiply the coefficient by the exponent and drop the exponent by 1.
Therefore: 8x+21y^6 is the tangent formula for the above function. Anyplace it intercepts zero is a local max/min. Again, I am very confident you won't have to know this level of math.

I think this will send the OP into worry-overdrive.

There is NO calculus on the CFAT.

I read it, went into overdrive, sharted, fell of the chair and now I can't remember my name....but I did understant this part --->  = wtf?

My cats breath smells like catfood!

I said:
I don't remember there being any calculus on the test. I wrote it when I was in gr. 11 and joining the reserves and still managed to qualify for everything. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Review long division and fractions.
If there was calculus on it then there are certainly tricks you can use so that you don't need to grind out the entire differential equation.

ex: 4x^2 + 3y^7 - 9 = wtf? Just multiply the coefficient by the exponent and drop the exponent by 1.
Therefore: 8x+21y^6 is the tangent formula for the above function. Anyplace it intercepts zero is a local max/min. Again, I am very confident you won't have to know this level of math.

Technically, your example above is a partial differential and the solution is not a solution in itself:

Y(x) = 8x + 21dy/dx = a constant.

Solving a partial differential equation results initially in an arbitrary function as above, vice a specific solution.  Solution of the PDE requires application of boundary conditions to the arbitrary function to then solve the equation.

It is likely not giving anything much away to say that solving partial differential equations per your example above is NOT on the CFAT.

I, Citizen - I think you should probably stick to helping yourself and not trying to blow the minds of CF applicants...

Just my  :2c:

Regards
G2G

looking at that just hurts my head.  :-[ math makes me nervous what can I say.  I studied the practice test with a friend last night and was having trouble on certain questions.

Good2Golf said:
Technically, your example above is a partial differential and the solution is not a solution in itself:

Y(x) = 8x + 21dy/dx = a constant.

Solving a partial differential equation results initially in an arbitrary function as above, vice a specific solution.  Solution of the PDE requires application of boundary conditions to the arbitrary function to then solve the equation.

Say again all after "mumble mumble!", over!!

Good2Golf said:
Technically, your example above is a partial differential and the solution is not a solution in itself.....
I was going to say the exact same thing!  :nod:

...except I didn't want to add to the Recruiting threads' hallmark traits -- simplistic repetition and such obvious answers.  ;)

Journeyman said:
...except I didn't want to add to the Recruiting threads' hallmark traits -- simplistic repetition and such obvious answers.  ;)

Perhaps I failed to pass the message on by being too polite to "I, Citizen."

I was mentally thinking, "If you want to impress everybody with how smart you think you are at math, even though it has nothing to do with the subject at hand, at least don't screw it up by being wrong..."  ::)

Maybe I should take remedial classes in "Straight talk", by Journeyman.  :nod:

tumblr_m49azpGTVX1r1cueho1_500.jpg

CDN Aviator said:

I understand this one too.  Basically, the math I know has numbers in it, and the less, the better.  Once I see a ^, letter, or some type of ancient-looking hyroglific, I'm in over my head.

S-M-R-T.

I did fine on the CFAT (re-wrote in '06 as mine from '88 was long expired), and the only real 'review' I did was fractions. 

How anyone ever made it through the process pre-army.ca astounds me.

Eye In The Sky said:
I understand this one too.  Basically, the math I know has numbers in it, and the less, the better.  Once I see a ^, letter, or some type of ancient-looking hyroglific, I'm in over my head.

S-M-R-T.

I did fine on the CFAT (re-wrote in '06 as mine from '88 was long expired), and the only real 'review' I did was fractions.

Technically you didn't write the CFAT in 88, the current aptitude test we call  CFAT came into being in the 90's, which is why you had to write it in 06,  CFAT results don't expire.

Learn something new everyday!  Now that I have that ticked off for today, I can go go sleep on the couch for the rest of th....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I said:
I don't remember there being any calculus on the test. I wrote it when I was in gr. 11 and joining the reserves and still managed to qualify for everything. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Review long division and fractions.
If there was calculus on it then there are certainly tricks you can use so that you don't need to grind out the entire differential equation.

Lame.

when I went down to the recruiting center yesterday the recruiter told me to practice decimals, fractions, and algebra.

she starred certain questions for me to study.

#3 on practice test 3 - a team of clothing workers had an output of 1000, etc.
#10 a group of 27 sailors, etc.

all of it makes my head hurt.  :-\

I am 'challenged' with math as well.  I did it.  Just focus, have motivation and do what you need to do to score the best you can score.

This website is the only ref I used.  No books, no practice tests.

http://math.com/

cryptic said:
when I went down to the recruiting center yesterday the recruiter told me to practice decimals, fractions, and algebra.

she starred certain questions for me to study.

#3 on practice test 3 - a team of clothing workers had an output of 1000, etc.
#10 a group of 27 sailors, etc.

all of it makes my head hurt.  :-\

I swear I'm really horrible at math.  But I just looked at the questions and thought about them with common sense...what is this question asking?  what does it want to know?  how do I get there?  Ultimately, common sense prevails.

I also found a little trick with another type of math question.  But I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say it.  Better not.

Hi I'm new here. I'll keep this brief.
Been a goal to get into the CF for years & I'm finally doing it. (Reserves for now, maybe FT later <shrug>)

I'm fairly well researched on the recruitment process.
Despite not finishing High School I'm extremely intelligent and usually score very high on IQ tests.
Last month I did a crash English 12 course which I passed with flying colours. (Working slowly towards finishing my Grade 12)
Today I got the call for my aptitude test booking.
I'm excited and optimistic. BUT...

During my reading here today I came across an old thread (Which I now can't find again) in which the poster gave a detailed description of his entry attempt for Army Infantry. He failed the CFAT 2-3 times despite being a seemingly smart cookie. His weak area... Math. He scored well in all areas except math in which he scored badly enough to affect his overall score. Denied entry.

Despite being told many times by many people in my life that I'm a "genius" Math has always been my weakest area. (Math makes me feel almost dyslexic.)  I've done the official CFAT sample test from forces.ca and done well on it but I must admit feeling complete dread after my reading here today. I don't know if my math is up to snuff and my test is in 4 days. I'm seriously considering getting a private tutor to help me over the weekend (It's Friday 5pm now.) to cram for my test. I don't know if I'll be able to do it otherwise.  :crybaby:

I have very little time to read these boards and a lot of the seemingly useful links I've found here using the search, seem to have become dead links during the life of this board. I'm wondering if anyone has anything that might be more helpful than the Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ  thread and containing a lot of dead links. Please note: I have seen THIS post.

I've also seen a site on the internet (I'll refrain from the link in case it's against board rules to mention) which is offering paid memberships to study guides designed to help you pass the CFAT. They charge $99 and it's $49 until Sept 11th (Ironically the day of my test) Do you think it's worth my while to get a tutor? Pay for the online course? Both?

Adding some information in case someone in the future comes across this thread.

Math Tutors in the Vancouver area as provided by tutor.bc.ca:

The current rate for one-to-one tutoring in your home is $40/hour, to be paid directly to the tutor after each session. If the tutoring takes place in the tutor's home, the rate is $35/hour.

*      Phil                    604-732-5428
*      Sachiko                604-377-9291
*      Silviu                  778-855-1769
*      Geoffrey                  604-633-4954

[*edit* Removed last names for privacy]

Back