• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

Allgunzblazing said:
There is a sample question paper on the CF website.

One of the things I did to prepare for the aptitude test was this -

a. 100 long division problems;
b. 100 mutiplication problems;
c. 100 addition problems;
d. 100 subtration problems.

In all these I used big numbers, often with decimals included.

If you'd like more tips on the aptitude test, shoot me a PM.

Cheers.
I already wrote the test once a few months ago and i forget the questions (bummer) but i remember there was fractions, adding and subtracting anything else other than you said?

Tyler H said:
I already wrote the test once a few months ago and i forget the questions (bummer) but i remember there was fractions, adding and subtracting anything else other than you said?

Just as a reminder to others, you're not allowed to talk about specifics of the test, especially not any questions.

Basically, so long as you can do basic arithmetic (yes, including division) by hand, that's all you need to "study".

It absolutely helps to review basic arithmetic operations and grade 10 algebra.

You will have to solve problems under a lot of pressure. It is true that some people are more analytical and their calculations will be smoother and quicker. But if you simply practice arithmetic you can acquire a better proficiency.

I have done advanced university-level mathematics, linear algebra, differentiation/integration etc. and still found the CFAT math to be a vicious little test. I briefly leafed through some online GED preparation material in advance but now regret not reviewing the fundamentals more thoroughly. I made the mistake of spending too much time on a few word problems and the panicked when I realized I had only a few precious minutes left. At this point, it's too late, your thoughts become too erratic to approach the problems with logic and precision. This is where the "aptitude" component of the CFAT is most evident. The Air Nav/Pilot types will do these calculations with little effort, regardless of preparation I imagine.

Beyond that, the spatial test and English proficiency are not something you can really prepare for. You have to be well-read (a cumulative process that spans your entire life) for the English and be able to assemble and rotate objects in your mind for the spatial, and these mental gymnastics cannot be learned either. These two combined will account for half of your score.

I passed for the trades I am interested in, but was not satisfied with the math score since I want to be able to apply for air-crew positions in the future, and I don't think they would allow me to write the test again without significant academic upgrading.

I probably can't reveal anything more specific.

Hi guys,

Please pardon the delay in responding to your comments.

Tyler H:

When I got a call for the aptitude test, I took a look at the sample question paper on the CF website and picked up books for every kind of questions. Say for example – sequences, spatial ability, basic arithmetic, etc. Vocabulary is something that can’t be improved in a short time. After doing a hundred odd problems of each type, my speed and accuracy were both up. For me, the old saying “practice makes perfect” seems to work. I don’t think I got a perfect score on the CFAT, but I knew I had done well. Plus, the Military Career Counsellor told me that I had qualified for every trade. I’m positive that if I hadn’t prepared, my score wouldn’t have been the same.

Good2Golf and CDN Aviator:

The reason why I went overboard with my CFAT prep and put in “dedicated effort” was fear of the unknown, and the fact that job openings seem to be fewer every fiscal. I wanted to everything possible so as to get a good score. At least this way, if I hadn’t done well, I’d have known that I did put in my best effort. I’ve studied subjects like Statistics and Operations Research at the graduate level, but the ability to do mental arithmetic is something that gets rusty if one is out of practice. (In my case at least  :)).

Cheers and all the best to those in the recruiting process.

Does anyone want to study together?  I am terrible at math and haven't been in school for 5+ years.  It was never my good subject.  I really am nervous about taking this test and flunking.

What got me was the time factor.  I was freaking out at the end and thought I failed because I didn't finish two of the three sections.  I think doing practice tests under time constraints is an excellent idea prior to writing CFAT.

English - I don't think you can study this section.  It's basically the vocabulary you pick up throughout your lifetime.  I love reading and I recognized some words from my reading.  But here is my warning: if you're not sure, go with your first instinct.  I kick myself for putting the right answer down and then changing it.  Grrrr! Also, keep in mind a word can have multiple meanings.

Spatial - I think you're good at it or you're not.  I found some practice tests on the internet.  They're really fun to do and I suggest doing them if even for the sake of having fun.

Math - naturally my Achilles heel.  However, it was better than I thought.  Just use your common sense and don't overthink the question - you will solve the problems.  My regret was that I wish I reviewed the mechanics of actually doing the arithmetic.  Unfortunately, I've become too dependent on calculators.

The day I wrote the CFAT, exactly 1/3 of the people who were there didn't come back.  Whether it was because they did poorly or for other reasons I don't know.  The ones who returned were told that we all did well.

I have a book recommendation - "Test and Assess your IQ" by Philip Carter and Ken Russell. Its got vocabulary tests, spatial ability, math  and reasoning. For the math part I did more than what this books contains. But yeah, I don't have enough words to praise this book.

Allgunzblazing said:
I have a book recommendation - "Test and Assess your IQ" by Philip Carter and Ken Russell. Its got vocabulary tests, spatial ability, math  and reasoning. For the math part I did more than what this books contains. But yeah, I don't have enough words to praise this book.
is this the only thing you did to practice math?  Are you naturally good at math?

cryptic said:
is this the only thing you did to practice math?

Allgunzblazing said:
For the math part I did more than what this books contains.

::)

I failed math in high school, didn't study for the CFAT and still scored quite high.  YMMV.... 

PMedMoe said:
::)

I failed math in high school, didn't study for the CFAT and still scored quite high.  YMMV....
So did you guess the questions?

Because I read conflicting responses here.  Either it's easy or study hard.  Might be basic math for some but I am terrible.  :(  I never failed math, but I forgotten literally everything.

cryptic said:
So did you guess the questions?

Because I read conflicting responses here.  Either it's easy or study hard.  Might be basic math for some but I am terrible.  :(  I never failed math, but I forgotten literally everything.

No, I didn't. 

Everyone is different.  Most threads here (and there are loads) just say to review high school math like fractions, decimals, etc.

Cryptic, I've always had to put in extra effort towards math. That is why when it came time from the CFAT, I focused on what I found challenging.

This was just my study strategy. I'm sure there are folks who can achieve the same results or better with less effort. In the end what matters is that one puts in his/ her best effort on the day of the CFAT, and of course get the score required for the trades applied for.

Allgunzblazing said:
Cryptic, I've always had to put in extra effort towards math. That is why when it came time from the CFAT, I focused on what I found challenging.

This was just my study strategy. I'm sure there are folks who can achieve the same results or better with less effort. In the end what matters is that one puts in his/ her best effort on the day of the CFAT, and of course get the score required for the trades applied for.
How do you find out what score you need?  What do I need for Nav Comm?

I am awful at all math, so I am going to have to study on everything I guess.  I was having trouble with the practice questions.

Cryptic, I'm not qualified to answer these questions. Only a CF recruiter can shed light on these. I don't know what my score was, all I was told  was that I had done well and qualified for all the occupations in the CF.

If you're having trouble in a certain area, just use the old school method - put in extra effort in that area. Bitter medicine  :nod:.

Allgunzblazing said:
Cryptic, I'm not qualified to answer these questions. Only a CF recruiter can shed light on these. I don't know what my score was, all I was told  was that I had done well and qualified for all the occupations in the CF.

If you're having trouble in a certain area, just use the old school method - put in extra effort in that area. Bitter medicine  :nod:.
thanks I am hoping to go down there in the next few days I am just nervous.

but what would happen if someone guessed everything right on the CFAT?  So they qualify for everything?  What if they choose a job and they aren't actually fit for it? Do the forces make them take a course or remove them from that career path?

Don't freak out about the calculus part.  I didn't touch it since first year university.  I think the authors of the CFAT assume that not everyone took calculus.  So, that's one less thing to worry about.

PMedMoe said:
I think you're making way too much of this.....

^ this.

Keep in mind that the test does other things as well, like exert time constraints on examinees to see how they perform under pressure.  If you freak out, start to hyper-ventilate, etc... you won't perform well overall and you will be assessed accordingly.

Yes, you want to do well, but understand that "doing well" means performing in a consistent manner that will accurately represent how you would perform in real-life at any one of the trades or occupations that the CFAT indicated you would be suitable for.

Relax, and don't over-think what you're about to do...

Regards
G2G

curious george said:
Don't freak out about the calculus part.  I didn't touch it since first year university.  I think the authors of the CFAT assume that not everyone took calculus.  So, that's one less thing to worry about.

I don't remember there being any calculus on the test. I wrote it when I was in gr. 11 and joining the reserves and still managed to qualify for everything. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Review long division and fractions.
If there was calculus on it then there are certainly tricks you can use so that you don't need to grind out the entire differential equation.

ex: 4x^2 + 3y^7 - 9 = wtf? Just multiply the coefficient by the exponent and drop the exponent by 1.
Therefore: 8x+21y^6 is the tangent formula for the above function. Anyplace it intercepts zero is a local max/min. Again, I am very confident you won't have to know this level of math.

Back