• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadpat Overboard?

Didn't armyvern mention that there was only one person in the whole CF who can fix the stuff anyway? I know I had to gun-tape my jacket in theatre.

I think that having CADPAT everything makes sense, but I wish that CTS would put as much thought into the design gear as they do into coming up with new ways to use CADPAT.

MCG said:
Would it really be more accessible to soldiers in the field & on deployed ops?  There is no MEC in Wainwright or Afghanistan when wire shreds the waterproof membranes in your clothing.

The idea is that the CF licenses companies to make the gear for them. Soldiers get to choose based on the gear's previous performance and other soldiers reviews. It would operate the same as the current system. Only you'd have a choice (provided all the items are properly supplied) when you got outfitted. Consider it the modularization of the clothing system.

signalsguy said:
I think that having CADPAT everything makes sense, but I wish that CTS would put as much thought into the design gear as they do into coming up with new ways to use CADPAT.

Yeah, it seems the new guys get the newer better stuff while the older more experianced guys are stuck waiting around for theirs to come in. When I first got in I got the CADPAT gloves and the ballistic eyewear, and the whole nine yards but then my Sgts, are still using olive drap gloves, no eye wear, or any other of the new guchie kit.

MacKenzie1NSH said:
Yeah, it seems the new guys get the newer better stuff while the older more experianced guys are stuck waiting around for theirs to come in. When I first got in I got the CADPAT gloves and the ballistic eyewear, and the whole nine yards but then my Sgts, are still using olive drap gloves, no eye wear, or any other of the new guchie kit.

You are in the militia though, things are different in Regular field units.

true enough, but is it easier or more difficult in the reg force to attain the new stuff?

When 2 CMBG deployed to OP Athena in 2003, we went as a group and turned in our IECS (green goretex and fleece) and webbing and were issued ICE and tac vests.

I'm pretty sure that the guys all have their small packs and gloves now too. It usually gets issued pretty quickly.

Synthos said:
The idea is that the CF licenses companies to make the gear for them. Soldiers get to choose based on the gear's previous performance and other soldiers reviews. It would operate the same as the current system. Only you'd have a choice (provided all the items are properly supplied) when you got outfitted. Consider it the modularization of the clothing system.
But, how does the supply system manage all of this in a non-garrison setting?  Would you expect them to now carry the entire selection in all sizes to the field?  You get your initial issue in garrison, but damage & loss happens in the field and the supply system must be able to make replacements in a timely fashion.

I would not be surprised to see almost everything we have in CadPAt, or till the money dries up.  I have seen pictures of CadPat gasmasks and cadpat NVG's

Supply does carry alot of the sizes of clothing although in limited amounts, and equipment overseas.,  why do you thing there are so many seacans.  Although we tend to carry very limited supplies of sizes for peaole who and very small and skinny and very tall and large, as most bases do.

Well what else do they have to turn into CADPAT? They have the rucks, gloves, jackets, boots, everything, I wonder if they are going to run out of ideas..

MacKenzie1NSH said:
Well what else do they have to turn into CADPAT? They have the rucks, gloves, jackets, boots, everything, I wonder if they are going to run out of ideas..

As long as there is uncammed kit left to cam, there will be camming of kit.

The only problem with DND letting companies use cad pat to make gear is that the troops on the ground will not be allowed to wear it. If DND allowed us to wear it I bet that these companies would would make it, and it would be the troops own discression to buy or use the issued gear; similar model of the American forces in the field they can use the issued or buy there own from one of the many companies.

The problem with your US comment is that they have to buy all their gear.  We have ours issued and can exchange it when it is worn out.

George Wallace said:
The problem with your US comment is that they have to buy all their gear.   We have ours issued and can exchange it when it is worn out.

I thought they were issued gear (there packs, webbing, etc.), but most choose to buy because they feel the issued stuff is substandard. There are some US Army units that have to use there issued kit for courses etc (if I recall correctly, I'm not 100% shore though [Matt Fisher you probably know better and maybe you can give your 2 cents on it])

They get an initial issue and then  have to buy their stuff after that.  We don't work on the same system.

George Wallace said:
They get an initial issue and then   have to buy their stuff after that.   We don't work on the same system.

so even if there equipment wears out, due to work related stress, they have to buy the new gear plus give back the old? if so that is a rip off

MacKenzie CS said:
so even if there equipment wears out, due to work related stress, they have to buy the new gear plus give back the old? if so that is a rip off

Yea, worn out uniforms, webbing etc, gotta goto Clothing Stores to buy new stuff. 

If you ever goto a US base, check it out, they got everything there for sale, BDUs, Webbing, PT Gear, Class As, medals, etc

I think they get an allowance for replacement kit, but I'm not sure on that.

they get a uniform replacement allowance.

actually I'm a big fan of that system.  give everyone, say, an extra $150 a month, and have a list of items which are authorized for wear.  this way, hopefuly, people would be able to buy the LBV or ruck that's best suited for their role, instead of getting issued crap that suits everyone poorly, but nobody especialy poorly :)

I like our system when it works properly. It would be nice to be able to buy gear that would help do your job better. What I would like to see is DND come out with a list of Canadian companies, and let them make authorised equipment for us to buy (eather from the company, or from DND ie. clothing stores or the canex.)

I like that idea of an extra 150$ per month because it would make it so much easier to obtain new uniforms, cause they are picky as crap when it comes to exchanging those things, you get a hole, you have to sew it, I don't know, I think it would be alot easier. Also it would make it better to buy what workes for your occupasion rather than deal with the bad stuff.

$150 a month sounds great.  What happens when you return home from 6-12 months of crawling on your belly like a reptile in Outer Elbownia with three kit bags, a ruck, and barrack box full of trashed kit?  The second mortgage companies would be dancing for joy, low interest "basic kit issue replacement" loans.....

Kat

Back