• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadpat Overboard?

Synthos

Inactive
Reaction score
I recently heard about the new cadpat boots that they're working on, as well as a cadpat blanket and other such things. It got me wondering whether the cadpatting might be going a little far. At what point do we need to stop trying to cadpat things? It seems like the Canadian Forces is really proud of their Cadpat and wants to find a good reason to put it on all the gear that they can. Would you rather the CF save the money from cadpatting for other things? What do you think?

well, it would seem to make sense that if everything you own is cam pattern, it would all blend together, and break up the silhouette, no?  Pretty pointless to have everything cadpat, and shiny BLACK (an unnatural colour, by the way) boots.

couldn't you say the same for your weapon? where's my cadpat C7?
How clean are people's boots in the field? Muddy and dusty black boots might be just as good cam as cadpat boots. Especially since your boots are the lowest thing to the ground and likely not paticularly visible anyways.
as for silhouette... the human shape won't change, it's just the enemy might have a hard time telling you're hands from your pants.

No, the shape won't change.  The ability of the human eye to register a defined shape is hindered by a disruptive pattern.  And, you're correct, CADPAT furniture on the weapon makes sense, so I guess we haven't gone overboard yet, have we?

Paint... changes the rifle's colour and texture.

Boots -- mud and dust (they aint black long)

A great deal of CTS is a huge boondoogling waste of the taxpayers money, that strips operationally required items from the CF due to waste

As for weapons, the new C7 is already two colors, namely green and black. As for me, I don't think there is such a thing as too much cadpat. No it won't stop bullets but ,IN THE FIELD, every litle things count. Now if they can figure out how to apply it on vehicles...

Synthos said:
I recently heard about the new cadpat boots that they're working on, as well as a cadpat blanket and other such things. It got me wondering whether the cadpatting might be going a little far. At what point do we need to stop trying to cadpat things?
Much discussion has gone on WRT the boots and new sleeping bag/poncho liner in other threads.  So I won't say more about these specific items except that the blanket is already out there and I believe the CADPAT boot idea is dead (if not, it should be).

However, generally when old kit is being replaced by newer kit, it only makes sense that the new kit incorporate our current disruptive pattern.  There are other less talked about items of "old" kit which are issued new in CADPAT (the Bivy Bag, the wet weather gloves) but in being exactly the same as the items they replace (less the colour), I have yet to see any exchange program to replace the olive items that most soldiers have.

how would you polish or keep up your cadpat boots? like a tube of tooth paste with 3 different colours?

seriousley now: if they relay wanted cadpat boots, they would make cadpat garters (sp) to wrap around em and wash as necessary when dirty.

Guy. E said:
how would you polish or keep up your cadpat boots? like a tube of tooth paste with 3 different colours?

seriousley now: if they relay wanted cadpat boots, they would make cadpat garters (sp) to wrap around em and wash as necessary when dirty.

The polish would have been like the wet weather boot (gortex) polish

Everything was green before we get CADPAT, so why not get it all in CADPAT ?

CADPAT Weapon was on plan a couple of months ago, but the colour faded out every 2 days, so the green plastic furniture of the C7A2 won.

For the weapons, one of the main things needed is a kill flash for the C79(and any other optics) IMO.

MikeL said:
For the weapons, one of the main things needed is a kill flash for the C79(and any other optics) IMO.

Highly over rated -- the honeycomb decrease light transmision - to a point you use a lot of available light in the dusk/dawn periods.

The C79 and C79A2 being a POS that it is - we'd be better off instead of wasting money on a killflash getting a new optic.

ab22vp said:
As for weapons, the new C7 is already two colors, namely green and black. As for me, I don't think there is such a thing as too much cadpat. No it won't stop bullets but ,IN THE FIELD, every litle things count. Now if they can figure out how to apply it on vehicles...

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4813/1/

Something "like" this might be an option for vehicles... Or just stencils and spray paint.

Synthos said:
http://www.gizmag.com/go/4813/1/

Something "like" this might be an option for vehicles... Or just stencils and spray paint.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't think a fleet of leopard-print LAV-IIIs will cut it...

In all seriousness, though, I think the CF's priority is getting individual soldiers' cam up to grade, not vehicles.

KevinB said:
Highly over rated -- the honeycomb decrease light transmision - to a point you use a lot of available light in the dusk/dawn periods.

The C79 and C79A2 being a POS that it is - we'd be better off instead of wasting money on a killflash getting a new optic.

Yea, a better optic than the C79/C79A2 would be great, but I highly doubt there gonna replace them anytime soon, especially now that they've bought XX amount of C79A2s.

As for the CADPAT vehicles, I dunno how practical they would be. The current OD an woodland style paint patterns are good enough IMO. You could have the best CADPAT camo pattern on a Leopard,LAV,  ML, etc but, gonna be pretty easy to spot once it starts moving, plus all the noise. When your in a hide, the Cam Nets, etc work good enough IMO.

In terms of cadpatting vehicles I see more of an advantage if it is providing cover for infantry. At a certain distance a soldier in cadpat would be indistinguishable from a cadpatted vehicle.

Synthos said:
At a certain distance a soldier in cadpat would be indistinguishable from a cadpatted vehicle.

That's true, but once you get closer it becomes easier to distinguish a flat surface (like the side of a vehicle) from a textured surface (like a soldier). Cam netting works better from all distances.

Synthos said:
In terms of cadpatting vehicles I see more of an advantage if it is providing cover for infantry. At a certain distance a soldier in cadpat would be indistinguishable from a cadpatted vehicle.

Interesting idea synthos, but would it really do much good since the guys would be in the vehicle anyway?

BTW, I think what you're talking about is concealment, versus cover. Someone with a combat arms/signals background can probably speak more authortatively on this, but I would think that in terms of concealment of vehicles a cam net would be more effective than a CADPAT paint job any day. (urban ops notwithstanding)

yeah but a can a cam net be used in combat? I think it's mostly for stationary vehicles right?

Synthos said:
couldn't you say the same for your weapon? where's my cadpat C7?
How clean are people's boots in the field? Muddy and dusty black boots might be just as good cam as cadpat boots. Especially since your boots are the lowest thing to the ground and likely not paticularly visible anyways.
as for silhouette... the human shape won't change, it's just the enemy might have a hard time telling you're hands from your pants.

Welcome to the cam-pattern world. Here everything is AUSCAM, and they are even trialing AUSCAM'd weapons. We have t-shirts, poncho liners, hats, webbing, shelter halves, FMP covers, sleeping bags, and even cooking aprons. You name it (even watch bands and wallets).

As per the UK's DPM, USA's MARPAT, Woodland, and ACU. Thats just the tip of the cam-ptrn iceberg.

Canada's CADPAT is new, so get used to it, because there is the ARID stuff too, which repeats the cycle again, just like the AUSCAM desert DPDU.

Cheers,

Wes

Back