• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CadetPat field uniform

Status
Not open for further replies.
ryanmann356 said:
At the time of the picture, the cadetpat rank slip ons had not yet been made in marpat form, so they gave the CSMs regular cadpat slip ons temporarily.  ANyway I couldnt tell the difference until i looked at it closely anyway, not a big deal
I think it is a pretty big deal, having cadets wearing ranks they're not entitled to.

Be as angry as you want, but they gave us those ranks to wear so we did. There's not really a debate here; it shouldn't have been done, but it was b/c it seemed like the most viable solution. We had them on for a stunning 8 hours.

The flaw in logic with ODs is

a. They're actually becoming hard to buy in quantity for LHQs (thats true of Vancouver)
b. Ussually, you're buying used. Of course it's cheaper than CADETPAT.

All these shots at the cost are unwarranted when you consider the clothers your wearing right now probably cost more and are less functional. (I know some one is going to post that they're wearing a $5 shirt and made their pants, but that's not true of most Cadets...)

....also, the sizing is totally different. These uniforms are not repackaged MARPAT They're actually made in Victoria, BC.

Dane, what company is making them? And is there a website (seeing as how the CanCav, if thats even the right one is no longer up, or I can't seem to find it)

Is there an offical cadet policy WRT wearing of combats/CADPAT/CADETPAT that spells out who can wear what, and when? There seems to be so much confusion over this issue.

There is a CATO on the various orders of dress for each of the cadet branches, the most clear one is actually the air cadet one.  Basically the CO can authorize the wear of combats (refering to the older OG combats), or civilian look-a-like clothing.  Anything the cadet wears for a field uniform is at their expense and it is the CO's discretion as to whether the cadets are permitted to wear it or not.  In the dress regs the "Standard" for combats remains the OG's.  In this, or any other, order of dress it is pretty clearly laid out that only the issued dark green (blue, blck for air and sea cadetrs respectivly) rank slip-ons are to be worn.  So the common interpretation has been that if you are wearing OG's, or Real CADPAT you can wear the issued slip-on, any otherclothing including look-a-like patterns, no rank or accoutrements are to be worn.  CADETPAT is a league thing and hasn't found its way specifically into any of the current rules and regs we are using.  I haven't actually see it other than the photos from VACSTC. 

That being said, I have seen several cadets in real or fake CADPAT wearing CADPAT rank badges with CADET across the bottom, not a standard issue or even available item as far as I know, but surplus stores probably have the rank slip-ons and I'm sure some ingeneous cadet contacted CP Gear and had the titles made up for use.  I wouldn't let them get away with that at my unit, but others might.

Dane said:
Be as angry as you want, but they gave us those ranks to wear so we did. There's not really a debate here; it shouldn't have been done, but it was b/c it seemed like the most viable solution. We had them on for a stunning 8 hours.

The flaw in logic with ODs is

a. They're actually becoming hard to buy in quantity for LHQs (thats true of Vancouver)
b. Ussually, you're buying used. Of course it's cheaper than CADETPAT.

All these shots at the cost are unwarranted when you consider the clothers your wearing right now probably cost more and are less functional. (I know some one is going to post that they're wearing a $5 shirt and made their pants, but that's not true of most Cadets...)

En Contrare, there is PLENTY of OD floating around Vancouver and I would bet that sewage treatment plant on Annacis Island! ;D
Dave's Army Surplus in New West has a MASSIVE warehouse on Annacis Island that is absolutely stocked FULL of OD combats.
If you call that a shortage....I'd like to see what would happen if that stockpile wasn't there ::) Anyways, were not short of OD combats in the Vancouver area for cadets.

Dan

C/WO. McWatt said:
Not toppurposely start an argument but if a CIC officer(or any one) told me to shoot my cadets I woulden't do it. So why do something that is iillegal? Is it not right there in the mmanual "obey all LAWFUL orders and regulations"?

Ok so,  you're comparing killing a cadet to the person in charge telling you how you will wear the uniform and what you will wear with it.  Great analogy.

Kyle Burrows said:
OK so,   you're comparing killing a cadet to the person in charge telling you how you will wear the uniform and what you will wear with it.   Great analogy.

Yes, I am, and I believe it is. considering there are no degrees of illegalness. It is black or white, it is illegal or not illegal. So then regardless of weather momorally it is similaor notr, in a legal seance it is equal, and the legal aspect was my point. Thank you for you input though.

I know about Dave's, my last LHQ did an order of 50 full sets from them last May. The issue, I should restate.

Quantity is available. Quality in numbers is getting harder to come by.

it should be interesting to see how this "cadetpat" fit's into the CATO's.  i think it's practical that cadets have their own fatigues.  i think the pattern is too American of course.  the OD's would have been better IMO.

cheers

PV

I completely agree with PViddy, I think that it's great that cadets have their own unique style of combats, instead of relying on old, used combats that are no longer being used by the CF. Also I think that this will put a stop to, or at least lessen the amount of cadets that purchase imitation CADPATs and act like they are in the CF. Being a cadet myself, i think it will make cadets feel prouder since we are finally getting some recognition and we have something that is unique to the cadet movement. Our dress uniforms closely resemble our respective elements of the Canadian Forces and the olive drab combats were the same ones the CF were issued for a long period of time. I think this new, unique style of combats just for cadets, I think that it will increase pride and morale knowing that we have our own uniform, unique to us...Even if it is a bit American :(

It's a grey area in the CATOs, technically it's civilian clothing. However there is also a provision that anything that could be taken to be military clothing must have a denotation that you are a Cadet. Depends on the region for specifics. RSCU (P) allows a brassard with "Royal Canadian Army Cadets" or a cadet slip on.

Supposedly there is a website for it www.cadetgear.com, but it is either down or has not yet been completed.  I tired .ca, .gov, .tk, .net and all other things that come after the dot but theres no official site for cadetpat.  www.armycadethistory.com is the only place that I know of for info regarding cadetpat, and it just offers the pic or Rogo and order forms.  Anyway we can debate untill the cows come home but in the end its a matter of personal preferance.  If you like ODs then dont buy the cadetpat, if you dont like ODs then order the cadetpat.  Dont be slamming the cadetpat combats untill you actually try them.  I tried them in Vernon and found them rather effective and comfortable, but in the end the king of combats will always be the Canadian Disruptive Pattern

I perfer Cadpat to cadetpat.  but in warm dryer portions of Canada the cadetpat would work quite well.

http://www.armycadetleague.bc.ca/cadet_pattern_field_gear.htm

I don't think having field clothing that closely resembles MARPAT is a very good idea for the Cadets, PR wise. A simple OD would be less expensive and work just as well. This does not need to be used surplus stuff either, there are dozens of BDU makers out there that produce clothing in OD. But until a clear policy is in place I guess everyone will do their own thing.

IIRC, when I was in Cadets, we wore a dark-green brassard with our affiliated unit shoulder flash, the RCAC badge and the same sew-on rank as was on our dress uniforms. This worked quiet well as we were clearly identified as Cadets.

Cam Ptrn refresher  ;D

1. MARPAT

2. CADPAT; and

3. US Army ACU

4. For comparison, here is the current AUSCAM DPDU left, current AUSCAM DPCU tropical, and the 1st generation AUSCAM DPDU right.

All pics (including the hats) are of genuine issue stuff, and not after market crap.

Cheers,

Wes

Just a couple of quick questions, first of all: are these CADETPAT uniforms only intended for army cadets, or can they be acquired by all three elements? second: Do these have to be ordered direct from the company, or can they be ordered and issued via our LHQ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back