• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C7A2

Which weapon do you prefer?

• C7A1

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • C7A2

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • C8

Votes: 19 52.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would personally go for the C8 any day.

It sucks when your trying to fire the C7 out of the back of an Iltis and the barrel keeps raming into the roll bar as you try to aim.

For Armour I say the C8 is the best. 

Still, the new buttstock on the C7A2 will make things a bit better.

Yes, for Armour and Urban Ops the shorter barrel is better for confined spaces, but for accuracy and rugged dependability the Infantry need rifles... That is where the main requirement is for pers weapons and for armoured pers to sing the praises of the carbine over the rifle is just plain silly... Granted I like the C8 family of wpn's having used some of them in the past. However, u can't beat having a smaller grouping @ 300 metres with a rifle... I still prefer my LMG tho...  ;D Pro Patria

http://nightoperations.com/Doc/Infantry-Rifle-Carbine1.pdf

Actually, look at Mr Boland's paper on the C-7 upgrade - you'll see that a shorter barrel won't reduce accuracy.

Fraz,

You have fallen for the Party line...

Fraz, this summer I had the chance to fire an american M4 carbine on a reactive range with targets going out to 400 meters.  I ended up dropping one target more than I had 2 years earlier using a C7.  Unless you consider yourself a sniper and intend to engage targets at 600 meters, a carbine is more than sufficient for your needs.

I have used an Aimpoint M2, issued EOTECH 552, and TA31 ACOG

Can the average soldier equip his issued rifle with his/her choice of optics?

Can anyone who knows KevinB say that they think he is "average"??? ;D ;D ;D

Sorry KevinB, I just did that to stir up the pot, myself being #1 LMG I'm happily awaiting the moment that I unwrap my new C9 A2... not to mention that I have a soft spot for the C7, although I did get a chance last year to play around with the C8 CQB, that's one nice piece of kit as well...

KevinB, when do you foresee DND issuing the C8 SFW upper along with the C7 upper? Or do you or anyone else know of an actual timeframe when this is to occur? Hopefully soon, it just makes so much more sense to have the shorter barrel. Personally I'd like to see the option for even shorter barrels for Riflemen for FIBUA but I'm sure that would only be available to JTF-2. In my opinion they should phase out the 20" and make the SFW upper the standard and also issue an 11.5" as an option or the 10". It'll make for a large flash with the shorty but makes it much more compact to move around. If anything the SFW upper is the way to go.

;D The way I see it I would be happy with a sling shot and a spoon.

But in all seriousness, I don't believe anyone (with the exception of the infantry) require something with the ungainly length of the C7 A1/2
Myself as a signaller, ive got enough on my plate with the radio/MSG logs to have to worry about slinging that long POS around everytime i have to go for comms gear.  Or a laptop  8)

Infanteer said:
you'll see that a shorter barrel won't reduce accuracy.

Agree fully.  This years DCRA National Service Conditions Competition Winner (Civilian) had a short barrel and still was able to pull off a 559v46 out of a possible 600HPS.

Does anyone have a good source on a vertical foregrip for the C7A2?  Send me a PM please

Is anyone aware if the C-7A2 without front rails loaded is lighter then the regular C-7? I used one all summer in Gagtown and that was a constant debate. It's hard to tell because of the balance being much different. Personally I found the A2 to be a superior weapon, but generally more irritating. Especially the "tactical" sound of always half cocking your weapon on patrol every time the handle got snagged, and not being able store your cleaning kit on the weapon.

Being a jimmy I would prefer the C-8, but I also realise that the infantry are the primary user and they have some different requirements [most I have talked to wish we didn't ditch the 7.62 round].

Darth_Hamel said:
Is anyone aware if the C-7A2 without front rails loaded is lighter then the regular C-7?

I imagine, without the Elcan, and all its' weight, the C-7A2 would be lighter....... ;D

So for those in the know, are unit QMs retaining the old cocking handles and replacing them on request on the new A2s? If not, I can see a lot of guys ordering a normal cocking handle off of MarStar, or whatever their preferred source may be. I've heard nothing but grief over that elongated POS.

Also, what's the approximate status of the fielding of the A2 to land force? I'm sure it's still making its way through the regs, but is it into non-combat arms use now? Have any reservists received it? I've found no info about the scale of replacement for the system.

Brihard said:
If not, I can see a lot of guys ordering a normal cocking handle off of MarStar, or whatever their preferred source may be.
and being charged for doing so? ::)

When you turn over weapons to the system IE swapping A1 for A2 you have to turn over the complete weapon. You are not allowed to keep bits and pieces.

paracowboy said:
and being charged for doing so? ::)

People have been charged for less- and have gotten away with more, based on things I've read here. I'm simply asking the question to enlighten myself. So is there any alternative available to troops in theatre or are they stuck with the snagging one? It simply strikes me as a simple problem with several simple solutions- I'd be surprised if it's not been addressed, based on feedback I've heard about this particular part of the system...

I can't speak for what the boys in theatre have done/are doing about the problem, but mine still has a honkin' snago-matic on it.

Some Weapons tech's on my roto had available the old cocking handle at request, but in Bn everyone had the Snag-omatic

Back