• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

Went through the Mega in 2008.  No one that I know of brought a TV and/or an xbox.  I am almost positive it would be confiscated until course end.  People did have PSP's and DS's, but they were locked up until at least the weekend of your first weekend leave.  Cell phones were also locked up until that weekend.  Sunday night, they were all locked back up again.  They do have pay phones available for use, (to pay bills with telephone banking and communicate with loved ones).  If you have earned the privilege of having a bit of free time in the evenings, there were also internet kiosks set up around the mega.

In Wainwright for DP1 (infantry), it was pretty much the same thing.  All electronics, including cell phones were locked up until a weekend where you had earned the privilege to access them.  There were also pay phones, and the junior ranks had wifi service for those with lap tops.

Wilamanjaro said:
To reiterate:

...remind my old buddies that I am the king...

IMO, and take it with a grain of salt as it has been a few years (gulp - decades!) for me....if you have time to be "king" on Basic, you're doing it wrong....

Wilamanjaro said:
I've heard from someone who is now finished BMQ and close to finishing BMQ-L that some people brought their xbox and TV. Are things like these allowed? Seems a little crazy but if it's acceptable I just might bring mine, it'd be a great way to communicate with friends back home on the weekends.

I'd recommend leaving the xbox and tv at home as you will have more important things to worry about on basic. Besides it will likely be locked up for a very long time and in the end it's more stuff you have to carry with you. 

and i only meant "the king" at the video games. i understand how low i will be on the food chain in basic.

Come on now folks..... times change!!!!

recruits having access to a cell phone won't affect the forces...... you have to be able to acknowledge that times and people change, we are in an age of technology.

Electronics are now apart of ones life!!!! 

When I was in high school they tried making a rule of no cell phones in school...... do you think that rule was followed? 2 years later they dropped the rule and asked students to be courteous of others and to not disrupt the class with your cell phone.

youngapplicant said:
recruits having access to a cell phone won't affect the forces......

You are basing that on your considerable experience, right ?

do you think that rule was followed?

The difference is that, in our world, there are real consequences for not following the rules.

youngapplicant said:
When I was in high school they tried making a rule of no cell phones in school...... do you think that rule was followed? 2 years later they dropped the rule and asked students to be courteous of others and to not disrupt the class with your cell phone.

Cdn Aviator - This comes from an applicant to be an MP no less!

youngapplicant said:

Yup.  So basically, not having access to cell phones and IGadgets now is the same as how I didn't have access to a pay phone and a TV when I went thru Basic in '89.  I, along with my other 100'ish platoon mates, all made it thru.  It DID teach us to deal with 'time away from civi life norms" and not being able to talk to our wives, girlfriends, etc.  Despite what you think, that IS one of the hardships you have to get used to in the CF.  Don't like it?  Don't join.  Seems simple to me.

Yes I agree...the generations of today are so fucking undisciplined it makes me want to kick some of them.  Citing how your fellow students couldn't follow a simple rule is how you are supporting your position?  ::) If anything, it shows how fucking useless so many of the "me" generation are growing up to be.  They don't follow the no cell phone rule, the don't follow the no-texting while driving rule, or whatever, and then justify it with some stupid example like you just did.

You and your kind should know that the "teachers" in the CF at Basic/CFLRS won't even consider tolerating the BS school teachers have to take from the "me" generation. 

And please don't try to justify yourself with any more "one time, at band camp" examples.  :facepalm:

This thread was quite...  Let's call it 'interesting'.

As someone starting BMQ in less than 2 weeks, it was 'interesting' to read the different perspectives on the subject of electronics at BMQ.  Thank you to everyone for their contributions in the thread, you've helped me with my decision; I will be leaving my laptop at home.  As many have already said, there are mechanisms already in place for me use if a family "emergency" happens back home.

I don't need, and more importantly, or WANT, the distraction while I'm in St. Jean, I'm sure it will be difficult enough as is.

Thank you
Chrispi

I agree with Chrispi, and I am also going to be starting bmq in around 2 weeks. There is no way id bring my laptop. I feel there is going to be enough to clean, practice and study that makes a laptop a bmq honestly ridiculous. If you can't last a day without checking your facebook then stay home. Ill bring my cell phone but it wont be coming out unless its a weekend or I need to communicate with my family in regards to my bills/ finances.

I was under the impression one of the main factors in bmq was to build camaraderie and teamwork among new CF members. How is this to be accomplished when after the daily routine the first thing you do is run to your laptop and seclude yourself. EVEN if you wait till all responsibilities are dealt with before using it, you will be choosing a laptop over opportunities to bond and contribute. EVEN if you are convinced you are bonding at a healthy rate, the time you would be spending scanning your news feed would be better spent sleeping in preparation for the next day.

I don't want to misconstrued CDN Aviator's statements, but I am with him on this one. I think allowing leisurely electronics is a bad idea, my generation is getting fatter and more attached to these devices. Instead of counter acting these changes and forcing people to strive for excellence, the CF seems to be bending (From what I've read and heard from former and current members, again not much experience on my part). Allowing Electronics and lowering fitness standards is a bad road. I think when applicants start striving for mediocrity there is an issue. By the previous statement I mean lowering standards only brings out a lower caliber in attempts.

Just my  :2c: take it with a grain of salt or not at all.

Also ill see you in St. Jean Chrispi.

Towards_the_gap said:
Cdn Aviator - This comes from an applicant to be an MP no less!

Hey don't ruin it man!
I hate getting pulled over for speeding by MPs, I mean come on everyone does it. Get with the times! 
This new possibly soon to be MP is down with not following the rules.

Eye In The Sky said:
And please don't try to justify yourself with any more "one time, at band camp" examples.  :facepalm: 
    :rofl:

Sometimes, even among the countless stupid Recruiting threads, entertainment can be found.  :pop:

youngapplicant said:

recruits having access to a cell phone won't affect the forces...... you have to be able to acknowledge that times and people change, we are in an age of technology.

Why not learn to cope now without your constant needs/addiction for connectivity to some other internet/wifi/cell entity?  Do you really need 24 and 7 connectivity?  What are you going to do when you/if you do become a CF member and have to work in a Secure Location where no Cell Phones, cameras, memory sticks, tablets or any other electronic device is permitted?  Surely you have the capability to break this addiction for a few hours in a day of Basic Trg.

George Wallace said:
Why not learn to cope now without your constant needs/addiction for connectivity to some other internet/wifi/cell entity?  Do you really need 24 and 7 connectivity?  What are you going to do when you/if you do become a CF member and have to work in a Secure Location where no Cell Phones, cameras, memory sticks, tablets or any other electronic device is permitted?  Surely you have the capability to break this addiction for a few hours in a day of Basic Trg.

I'd say each 'generation' going thru Basic has something they have to do without, give up, etc that at the time, seemed near and dear to them and worthy yammering on about.  When I went thru Cornwallis it was pop; we had to 'earn' our pop privileges.  The shack water was pretty bad, but there was a pop machine in the shacks.  Insert money, select type, push button, cup drops down, pop pours...and enjoy.

Only there was NO cups in the damn thing until we got our collective shyte together.  We made it thru without pop until "Week whatever", but I'll never forget people putting their quarters in night after night, praying that damn cup would drop down.  When it didn't, it was enough to drive some people wacky (thinking back to the night Recruit Bloggins beat up his long underwear in the ironing room after Attempt # 299987 still didn't produce a cup of pop).  You can bet ppl felt stupid when we were told by one of our Squad NCOs "yes we know there are no f**king cups in the f**king machine...we TOLD you that you have to EARN it."  Well, it probably wasn't said as nicely as that.  >:D

So...for us it was pop; today its *insert gadget name*.  20 years from now, people will be bitching that they can't take their *personal hovercraft space bike* to Basic or whatever gizmo will be 'near and dear' to them.

CDN Aviator said:
You are basing that on your considerable experience, right ?

The difference is that, in our world, there are real consequences for not following the rules.

Wow, the flaming that a newbie takes on here!

No I'm basing it on the fact that the "higher ups" made the policy change.

In no way would I be devastated if I couldn't use my cell phone while on course, I'm just contributing a view of someone who is apart of the "me" generation, as you guys put it, and I do think its a positive change.

If the policy wasn't changed it wouldn't have any affect on my decision of joining, and I'm sure I would get through basic training without it just like everyone else did. But since its allowed now, I'll probably enjoy the access to family and friends even if its once in a blue moon and for short periods.

youngapplicant said:
Wow, the flaming that a newbie takes on here!
  :nod:  Almost universally due to what the Army calls a "self-inflicted wound" or a "negligent discharge."

See up at the top of the screen, where it doesn't say Justin_Beiber_Rocks.com? Other sites apparently have different expectations of responsibility for what you post.

Welcome to Milnet; hopefully you'll make the transition.    ;D

youngapplicant said:

Said it once, I'll say it again - part of learning to be a soldier is learning to deal with being deprived of stuff - so that when it happens for real, as it often does out in the real world, you'll have no problems making due without. 

Make no mistake, if you're told to "turn your (add your own expletive)ing cell phone off or put it away" and you don't, you'll likely find that the National Defence Act isn't near as lenient as your spineless principal and or school board was with your fellow students.

:2c:

MM

Back