• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ / BMOQ - Personal Electronics during course [MERGED]

Swingline1984 said:
Last time I checked most of the baby boomers were still alive  :)  I'm assuming you meant that the average university student has seen more change within their first 20 years then the average baby boomer did in theirs.  Now twist that concept and put it in the perspective of someone who has been in the military for that same 20 years i.e. I see your 20 and raise you 20, then stop and think what all that change may have meant for them.  Kind of like comparing cabbages and kings isn't it?

That is what I meant, thanks for making sense out of my attempt to explain myself  ;D

As I said, in retrospect, probably not the best comment to have made, especially considering I seem to have lost my ability to move thoughts from my mind through a keyboard and onto a screen and still have them mean what I intended.  :-[

-Jules- said:
...especially considering I seem to have lost my ability to move thoughts from my mind through a keyboard and onto a screen and still have them mean what I intended.  :-[

But you had all that practice with your smart phone on BMQ. ;D

No worries, happens to the best of us.

ArmyVern said:
I actually PMd with Jules yesterday after his post and pointed out much of what is now being said (staff posting / big picture staff sees at CFLRS vs the small picture a recruit sees within their own platoon) to the young Jedi. I received a heartwarming (mom in me) response from him. He gets it. He'll (or she) will do well.

;)

A Jedi? Not quite yet  Master Jedi Vern.

tsk tsk Jim....just ignore the hangups...... ;D

-Jules- said:
I'll preface this by saying that I was on one of the trial platoons. I survived. I also would have survived without my cellphone. However, I don't think that allowing electronics is a bad idea.

You think you would have survived. Luckily for you you had your cell phone so you didn't really notice not having it  ;)

One of the main issues that I've seen brought up over this thread is the belief that recruits will have access to their electronics at all times and that this will distract them from training. The rules set out for the platoon I was on were that electronics stayed in our rooms at all times during the training day. After that there were limitations on what we were allowed to do. No games, no movies, no posting pictures of BMQ on Facebook and a limit on the amount of time that one could spend on their phone per night. I'm certainly not saying that those rules were followed by everyone on platoon
So right here recruits were given certain privileges and still abused them.
So basically going against everything that recruit school is trying to instill. Following orders, discipline and self-control.  Nice.

They were given an order but didn't think it applied to them, or didn't care.  I'm sure if and when they deploy overseas they'll follow all the rules...

You guys had to have your access to cell phones limited like children being grounded from an xbox.  How many instructors were required to stick around and monitor your cell phone usage? Did instructors have to stay until 1800hrs or later to make sure people weren't disobeying orders?  It sounds like a big game of cat and mouse.

Several people mentioned that recruits don't need to be checking Facebook all the time and, if they have a true emergency, they will be provided with a phone. I can say from experience that Facebook was not as great an issue as most of you seem to perceive.
I'll counter this and say from my experience people are CONSTANTLY on facebook. I've seen BMQ, SQ, PLQ students alike updating from class instead of paying attention.
I have a claim thats 5 months old that I'm still waiting on, yet my clerk manages to find time to update facebook from work.

The majority of people on my platoon that had smartphones used them mainly for calling home and doing online banking. For those that did have emergencies, yes, a phone would have been provided but how much easier is it to deal with issues on your own time?
I don't believe the only thing they used it for was calling home and banking for a second.  I'm not calling you a liar here simply saying I don't think you were really paying attention.
Doing online banking is a typical excuse why students (and staff) *NEED* their phones.
EVERYONE now days has some kind of family emergency to justify why they need to have their cell phones on them, and in hand. Guarantee you show up on a course and SOMEONE has an emergency at home. People seem to often be so hung up on staying connected that they lie about this shit.

Getting personal issues dealt with solely through the chain of command is not as easy as it's being made out to be. Also, all time spent dealing with personal issues with the help of instructors is time taken away from other activities. Your wife is having financial issues due to you being away? You'll end up taking time out to speak to staff, see a padre, see clerks to get pay issues resolved…all this takes away from training time. Call your wife after hours and get all the information so you only need to visit the clerks once? Simple. From what I saw, allowing the recruits to deal with minor personal issues as they came up instead of waiting until it snowballed into an emergency which (with no electronics) would have required a phone call to the school let the recruits actually focus on their training.

Those are fair points, the chain of command can be slow. But still I think this makes little tiny issues into "emergencies".
I'm not sure how being away would cause your spouse to have financial issues... You're not at home meaning you're not using electricity, not using water, not eating food in the house.  You're on course getting paid and either TD or field pay, right?
If you need to speak to a padre then that's pretty serious.  You're playing devils advocate with your theory on keeping cell phones stops emergencies from snowballing. If you have an actual problem then the staff will give you time to sort it out.

A few things that are, perhaps, less factual than they could be:

1. The platoon that the trial was done on was a warrior platoon. This isn't incorrect in itself but the platoon I was on was definitely brand new recruits. All of us expected to lose our electronics when we got to CFLRS and were very surprised when we were allowed to keep them.
So the warrior platoon was full of new recruits?  So you were in the warrior platoon?

2. Those that didn't VR were lost later due to failing out of future courses. I'm not sure when the other two trial platoons ran but I doubt many, if any, of the people I was on platoon with are done their QL3 course. There simply hasn't been enough time since the trial to see the long-term effects on soldiers and what this means for the military as a whole. That's a study I would be interested in seeing.
I may have misconstrued what I was told and repeated it incorrectly. I'm thinking maybe it was a series of efforts on the recruit schools behalf to decrease the VR rate and the cell phone thing was just one part of it. I'm getting clarification.

3. Recruits were leaving because they weren't allowed to keep their electronics. The one real example that was shown of this was from someone that was on warrior platoon. I'd prefer not to comment on warrior platoon as a whole because there are recruits there that will make quality soldiers but it's also fairly well known that morale and GAFF is fairly low among some recruits in warrior. Perhaps those recruits weren't particularly interested in staying on with the CF for the long run and were just collecting a pay cheque until something prettier came along? One example isn't a lot to go on.
I don't mean to be crass here but basically the CF gave a platoon largely (heh) made up of a bunch of over weight recruits with "low morale", who's 'give a f###'  factor is low, full access to their toys in order to try and keep them in the CF.  A couple more than the normal average of these low morale, low GAFF ended up staying through recruit school. 

I'm seeing it as their deciding factor in being soldiers, fighting for freedom and protecting Canada, is whether or not they were allowed cell phones...

Teamwork

Instructors said that teamwork suffered. This isn't something that is new information to the recruits that were on those platoons. We knew our teamwork was lacking and we were told. Often.
However, I don't believe that lack of teamwork was due to the electronics trial.  A large part of it was due to being in blue sector and being more separated from each other than the typical platoon in green sector. This was one of the things that our instructors warned us about right away and it was something that we saw every day. We were the Hollywood platoon but many of us would have moved to green sector in a heartbeat to fix our teamwork issues.

The instructors can see that the teamwork was bad and can attribute it to the electronics policy. The recruits that were on those platoons saw what went on after-hours and, as one of them, I can say that lack of teamwork wasn't due to electronics usage.

I don't really see how having cell phones effects teamwork either - except as a member of a team when you constantly have to tell someone to get the #%$^ off their cell phones and help out/join the group.
"Just hold on, I got an emergency"  "Just a sec, gotta send a text"  "Just a sec, I'm in a convo with my wife"  "hold on I'm doing something"
Hey where's so and so?
Yup, HAVING a cell phone means every little thing becomes an emergency that needs to be sorted out.
Cpl like that at my work. Day 1 of a course. Where is he when we need the admin NCO? Can't find him in the building, he's not answering his phone.  Oh, an hour later he's in the crew cab in the parking lot texting his GF- has problems at home he's trying to sort out.

There were, as there always are, people that broke the rules and abused the privileges. However, this happens in regard to every rule and every privilege.
Which doesn't make it anymore acceptable nor does it mean we should let people get away with something just because other rules get broken.
The instructors do their best to weed those out, unfortunately a large majority of them stay on, but I really don't think allowing electronics during BMQ under controlled rules is going to have that much of an influence on the final product.
But you've already said they some of your peers couldn't even follow orders under the controlled rules. Doesn't that tell you what the "end product is?"

How will the poor young things survive on deployment without their cellphones? They'll adapt.
day.
spend thousands of dollars on unsecured cell phones
Disappear with SAT phones and spend WAY over their allotted time.

I'm not trying to attack you Jules I think it's great that you posted.  You have a good perspective in this debate having been at ground zero and it's always hard to post against the crowd.
I think you also pointed out some flaws with this cell phone idea if you sit and think about it. Especially the part where the end product is soldiers that still couldn't follow simple rules in basic training. THOSE types would be better off VRing from the forces.

Grimaldus, thanks for taking the time to reply. You've given me a few things to think about  :)

Grimaldus said:
So right here recruits were given certain privileges and still abused them.
So basically going against everything that recruit school is trying to instill. Following orders, discipline and self-control.  Nice.

They were given an order but didn't think it applied to them, or didn't care.  I'm sure if and when they deploy overseas they'll follow all the rules...

I'm not saying this is right but it does happen. All the time. Recruits don't always follow all the rules. Those that broke the rules regarding electronics were also the ones breaking other rules. The way I see it, this is an issue of the individual recruit not of the policy on electronics.

Grimaldus said:
You guys had to have your access to cell phones limited like children being grounded from an xbox.  How many instructors were required to stick around and monitor your cell phone usage? Did instructors have to stay until 1800hrs or later to make sure people weren't disobeying orders?  It sounds like a big game of cat and mouse.

The rules I mentioned were basic rules to give us as a platoon an idea of what we were and weren't allowed to do. Those rules were also posted on our floor for duty staff to see and be aware of. Instructors did not stick around after hours to monitor cell phone usage. The rules were mainly self-policed by the platoon and the duty staff would take a peek when they did their rounds. Nobody was ever checking that recruits didn't spend more than x amount of minutes on their phone. If people were spending excessive time on their phones and not getting work done it was dealt with by their section.

With regards to Facebook postings in class, this wasn't an issue for us. It's very possible that it might become an issue as recruits become more comfortable with being allowed to have their electronics. The majority of recruits were content to leave their phones in their rooms during the training day and only pull them out for a short time at night. However, this could indeed become a much bigger issue in the future.

Grimaldus said:
Those are fair points, the chain of command can be slow. But still I think this makes little tiny issues into "emergencies".
I'm not sure how being away would cause your spouse to have financial issues... You're not at home meaning you're not using electricity, not using water, not eating food in the house.  You're on course getting paid and either TD or field pay, right?
If you need to speak to a padre then that's pretty serious.  You're playing devils advocate with your theory on keeping cell phones stops emergencies from snowballing. If you have an actual problem then the staff will give you time to sort it out.

Perhaps that was a poor example as it's not widely relevant but in the platoon I was on there were recruits that were not getting paid. Unfortunately, most of those having pay issues also came into the CF without a lot of financial wiggle room. That's where my perspective comes from on that. Staff are accommodating but everything takes time...it seemed to me that it was made a lot easier for those that could work out their problems in their own time.

Grimaldus said:
So the warrior platoon was full of new recruits?  So you were in the warrior platoon?

Sorry for the confusion. From what I've seen on this thread, there was another trial done with a platoon made up mainly of recruits from warrior platoon. This was not my platoon. My platoon was all brand new recruits. I was trying to differentiate between the assumption that the trial was done only on those recruits that came from warrior platoon.

Grimaldus said:
I may have misconstrued what I was told and repeated it incorrectly. I'm thinking maybe it was a series of efforts on the recruit schools behalf to decrease the VR rate and the cell phone thing was just one part of it. I'm getting clarification.

Would you mind posting again when you do get clarification? Numbers like that are interesting to me and I'd like to see where that study came from even if it doesn't involve specifically the electronics trial. My inner nerd shines through  ;D

Grimaldus said:
I'm seeing it as their deciding factor in being soldiers, fighting for freedom and protecting Canada, is whether or not they were allowed cell phones...

I think we can both agree that if that was in fact their sole deciding factor to stay or leave, well, they're going to be in for a bit of shock when they don't get their way on everything later on.  >:D

Grimaldus said:
I don't really see how having cell phones effects teamwork either - except as a member of a team when you constantly have to tell someone to get the #%$^ off their cell phones and help out/join the group.

Interestingly enough, the only person there was a real issue with in regards to that was using a good old-fashioned pay phone.

Grimaldus said:
Which doesn't make it anymore acceptable nor does it mean we should let people get away with something just because other rules get broken.

Agreed. It will become another thing to police but our platoon dealt with it fairly well.

Grimaldus said:
But you've already said they some of your peers couldn't even follow orders under the controlled rules. Doesn't that tell you what the "end product is?"

I was speaking in regards to those that break the rules anyways. Adding electronics into the mix will give them more rules to break but I don't think that something should be held back on the basis that some people will break the rules. This is basic training. Not everyone makes it through as not everyone has the qualities necessary. However, those people that don't make it through are still on platoon for a period of time and the choices they make reflect on the platoon as a whole even though they don't become the "end product".

Grimaldus said:
I'm not trying to attack you Jules I think it's great that you posted.  You have a good perspective in this debate having been at ground zero and it's always hard to post against the crowd.
I think you also pointed out some flaws with this cell phone idea if you sit and think about it. Especially the part where the end product is soldiers that still couldn't follow simple rules in basic training. THOSE types would be better off VRing from the forces.

You've certainly given me some good points to think about but I think, even after all this, I still stand by my original thoughts. I don't believe that the electronics policy is going to be what makes or breaks new recruits - the focus needs to be on cutting out the recruits that don't show the qualities needed instead of letting them slip through the cracks for the need to fill positions. Perhaps I'll change my mind in a few years after I've seen more...I'm not opposed to seeing things from someone else's perspective.  :salute:

Holy s$%t what a storm in a teacup. Stop trying to over analyze this issue and DO AS YOU ARE TOLD. You joined voluntarily, now shut up and get on with your training.

-Jules- said:
it seemed to me that it was made a lot easier for those that could work out their problems in their own time.

Jules,

I have found over the years that when a new members tries to "deal with something on their own time", they are usualy in over their heads already and it delays them telling me there is a problem. Things then land on my desk and are 99% of time, completely out of control. At that point, it is a nightmare for me and sometimes, it is too late to do anything to help the member. The earlier a supervisor knows there is an issue, not matter how small it seems to the member, the better the CoC can be prepared to help. New recruits often do not realize that their "small" problems can have big implications WRT the CF.

NavalMoose said:
Holy s$%t what a storm in a teacup. Stop trying to over analyze this issue and DO AS YOU ARE TOLD. You joined voluntarily, now shut up and get on with your training.

While that attitude may have worked 30 years ago, its a different world today. Recruits are on the whole generally better educated, especially when it comes to their rights. I find that once you explain the rationale behind a decision, you get more "buy in" from soldiers. Just my  :2c: but at the end of the day.....do as your told.

Jim Seggie said:
.....especially when it comes to their rights.
True enough, but we both know that the other side of that coin is "obligations" -- people are too willing to emphasize what's owed them, and not what they are duty-bound to produce.

Oh damn, I'm in a Recruiting thread again.  :facepalm:

Journeyman said:
True enough, but we both know that the other side of that coin is "obligations" -- people are too willing to emphasize what's owed them, and not what they are duty-bound to produce.

I've said for years we, as a society, have not done enough to teach people about their responsibilties to their families, neighbours, and nation.

CDN Aviator said:
Jules,

I have found over the years that when a new members tries to "deal with something on their own time", they are usualy in over their heads already and it delays them telling me there is a problem. Things then land on my desk and are 99% of time, completely out of control. At that point, it is a nightmare for me and sometimes, it is too late to do anything to help the member. The earlier a supervisor knows there is an issue, not matter how small it seems to the member, the better the CoC can be prepared to help. New recruits often do not realize that their "small" problems can have big implications WRT the CF.

You're absolutely right. It's all too easy for small issues to snowball into big ones. I would never advocate hiding problems from the CoC, just that it was easier for some members to deal with issues (that the CoC already knew about) on their own time and give a quick verbal report back rather than writing memos and making formal appointments. Just a simpler approach that seemed to work in these cases, but everybody and every situation is different.

-Jules- said:
but everybody and every situation is different.

Thank you for stating the blatantly obvious. You may not believe it but i have seen and dealt with problems you cannot imagine. When i tell you that a recruit's entire world will not come to an end (as in : all problems can be addressed appropriately) if he doesn't have a cellphone/internet for a few weeks, you can take that to the bank.

Jules, let me try a different approach.

Having recruits use cellphones isn't going to destroy the Canadian Forces. There i said it! :)

What a lot of us are trying to argue and hammer home is that taking recruits "stuff" away is a way to indoctrinate them and preparing them for having no access to that stuff. That includes all the "minor snowballing emergencies" which honestly aren't as big of a deal as people make them out to be.
I don't want to say "You don't know what it's like until you experience it, maaaaaan" but  it's true.  Sitting at basic training may not seem like a big deal and you can say "I'm sure I can easily function without my cellphone/stuff" but until you have to you don't really know.  "We" have seen lots of people literally go to shit because they don't have their stuff. It plays a huge psychological factor in a lot of people.  You would be surprised at how very miniscule things can psychologically effect someone.
We sent a Sgt home from Afghanistan because he couldn't disconnect from the internet. He kept sneaking off during duty to check his mail.  Lot of wasted money there.

We deprive recruits of sleep because it will be something they face in their career down the road and they need to experience it in a training environment first.
Different courses deprive soldiers of food (quantity and quality) to prepare them for modified diets they may face.
We put weight on soldiers backs and make them do rucksack marches to prepare them for carrying weight around on their back in the future.
We yell and scream (in a fashion) so that when stress levels are through the roof and everything is chaotic and someone yells GET THE %&#$ OUT OF THE WAY the person reacts and moves- not sit down and get teary eyed because someone raised their voice at them.
We give recruits 5 minutes to do an 8 minute job to jack up their stress levels. See who the leaders are, see who the followers are, see who turns into a bag of poop.
We do inspections and catch you trying to take short cuts to teach you NOT to take short cuts and to do the job right the first time.

Disconnecting with your family, the news, social media, electronics and free time is a major thing soldiers are forced to deal with on training and during operations. If a soldier is too bent out of shape because he or she hasn't spoken to their loved ones in a couple of days then they won't see the little wire half burried in the sand they're about to kick. Or realize that they didn't take their mag off when they unloaded their rifle and are about to fire off their action into a tent wall. 

This is actually a much bigger issue than recruit school. We as a society are progressively finding it more and more difficult to disconnect from "things".

You mentioned it's easier for recruits to deal with some issues on their own. The same recruits that don't follow simple orders (Don't use your cell until X time). They lack discipline and self-control.
The problem is the same troops take advantage of the "deal with it on your own" approach where upon every little thing becomes an emergency and you can bet your beret they will invent ALL kinds of "issues" they need to deal with if it means they get time away from PT, training, cleaning weapons, watchful gaze of their instructors.

You may not see it from your perspective, and being new to the CF that's totally understandable.  Instructors HAVE seen it. It's the same reason why we know that you guys hide stuff under your pillows and in your boots during inspection.  We've dealt with it in the past so so we know what to expect.

Grimaldus,

All fair points even if we do disagree on some of the issues. This is definitely something that I'm going to be following a little more closely now that I've seen all the strong opinions that people have.

I've enjoyed our discussion but, as I don't see either of us changing our minds, perhaps it is time to let this one rest?

Talk to me in a few years and see if I still agree with everything I said in my original post.  ;D

Jules

Just skimmed this topic as it seems to get a little out of hand.

I've heard from someone who is now finished BMQ and close to finishing BMQ-L that some people brought their xbox and TV. Are things like these allowed? Seems a little crazy but if it's acceptable I just might bring mine, it'd be a great way to communicate with friends back home on the weekends.

It depends on where you do the course.  If you show up to LFWA TC with a TV and X-Box they will get locked up and you will not see it till the day you leave. I can not speak to the policy at any other training centre.

dangerboy said:
It depends on where you do the course.  If you show up to LFWA TC with a TV and X-Box they will get locked up and you will not see it till the day you leave. I can not speak to the policy at any other training centre.

Big meanies in Wainwright....sheesh!!  ;)

Grimaldus said:
What a lot of us are trying to argue and hammer home is that taking recruits "stuff" away is a way to indoctrinate them and preparing them for having no access to that stuff... We as a society are progressively finding it more and more difficult to disconnect from "things"...

Well said. As someone about to partake in BMQ at the Mega, I can't agree more. That said, I will enjoy access to my iPhone if/when I am allowed said privilege, and if/when I have the time after other tasks.

Wilamanjaro said:
I've heard from someone who is now finished BMQ and close to finishing BMQ-L that some people brought their xbox and TV.

In the words of today's younger generation....."WTF?"

Back