• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best Air Support ?

munky99999 said:
As far as I have been reading we are getting a total of 4(four) globetrotters. Certainly these 4 planes aren’t enough to replace the Hercules planes. So you couldn’t possibly realistically think we’ll retire the Hercules planes. From what I’ve been getting from the idea of the globetrotters are there just to supplement the Hercules for the larger jobs that need to be done that are on the outer limits of the Hercules. As for the conversion of our Hercules to a gunship; I suppose it’s possible it could be done. But really how much benefit could come from it that can’t be done with an ally (USA) or CF-18? I just don’t see the cost being efficient for the benefit.

Honestly I could see Canada move into some AWACS systems rather before any gunships, but I don’t see that happening neither.

C-17 Globemaster III

At least get the name right..........

munky99999 said:
Honestly I could see Canada move into some AWACS systems rather before any gunships, but I don’t see that happening neither.
We've been involved in the NATO AWACS programme for decades.

What were the first two?

Globemaster III, But I know of no other Globemasters...

Here you go. First two and the current one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globemaster

Koenigsegg said:
What were the first two?

Globemaster III, But I know of no other Globemasters...

condor888000 said:
Here you go. First two and the current one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Globemaster

Did you think i was talking out of my a$$  ?

Hell no. I'm sure you've forgotten more about aviation than I've learned. Just felt like chucking that out there in case somebody decided to try and dispute it.

No, I knew you were right.   ;D  (don't hurt me...)

It was just that I was not fully aware of the predecessors to the Globmaster numero III
But now that I was given the link, I know.   I remember both those planes, I just did not know that they were Globemasters, thank you for the link.

condor888000 said:
Hell no. I'm sure you've forgotten more about aviation than I've learned. Just felt like chucking that out there in case somebody decided to try and dispute it.

My commentwas meant towards "Koenigsegg"

The AC-130 has lots of limitations, the USAF refuses to allow them to fly during the daylight hours for example, because of their vulnerability to SAMs, AA and enemy aircraft (although the last is a small factor these days). This is a result of an AC-130 being shot down over Ras-al Khafji during the 1991 Persian Gulf War.

The C-17 is complimentary to the C-130 (one is strategic and one is tactical), so arguing for one or the other is arguing apples vs oranges. As for ground attack and close air support, nothing today can beat an A-10, but unfortunately no one builds them anymore, and like the OV-10 Bronco mentioned earlier, recreating the tooling etc. would be very expensive.

Some other opinions: Bring back something like the CF-5 http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/40352.0.html

a_majoor the CF-5 lacks the loiter capability that the AC130 holds, we technically have a very viable ground attack fighter in the CF-18.

I more talking about the CAS that the AC130 provides for hours, there are numerous accounts of them staying in an area and making it safe till daylight all on their own.

a_majoor said:
and like the OV-10 Bronco mentioned earlier, recreating the tooling etc. would be very expensive.

Yes that is true.  However , my main point is that using the OV-10 for air support would be like using a circullar saw to drive a nail.......

Just so we have terms of reference for the OV-10:

(figures for the Rockwell OV-10D)

Max combat radius : 367 Km with max weapons load and NO loiter

Max weapons load : 1200 lbs

Can be fitted with a centerline 20mm M197 gun with 1500 rounds of ammunition but thsi can only be done if no other stores are carried

While the CF-5 is not the best possible choice, I was thinking of its virtues of being small, light, capable of using austere airfields and reasonably cheap. If you go through that tread, you will see many alternatives were floated, although the ultimate factor for Canada is whatever is chosen needs to be available right now.

The CF-18 is indeed a capable aircraft, but I wonder about it being able to operate from an austere airfield or even a section of road. Sometimes I think the follow on and replacement for the CF-18 should be the JAS-39 Gripen from Sweden for the virtues listed above.

And I have no doubt that the Ground Attack Fighter has it uses, same as the Attack Helicopter, but nothing in my mind has beaten the loiter power of an AC130.

Say we have 1 AC130 in theater and 6 GAF, I call in for CAS now sure that GAF fight will make it their first not even a question, and they will save our butts short term and likely keep us in the fight long enough for the AC130 to arrive but it's ordinance and loiter is limited by allot. Vs the AC130 which conceivably could loiter for hours with out refuel or re arm thus keeping us safe much much longer then the the GAF ever could. Plus as you mentioned it functions out of austere airfields much like the CF-5 and the Grippen.

In terms of bang for your buck CAS the AC130 is the way to go IMO...now bang for your buck in terms of firepower and loiter time, in terms of crew's etc it's and expensive commodity.

it would be nice to have a budget and manpower to have all the tools and cool toys for forces to have wating for the radio call to action.
a gunship fat chance whether it be ac130, ah64d or any other model out there. we cannot afford the hardware let alone afford the upkeep. that is what  you have allies on the net for, provide what  you cannot provide. Canada provides the fighting man, boots on the ground, the allies provide the aircraft to move and protect the boots on the ground.

second thought is how long would it take to train a full crew to operate and maintain a ac130 gunship?

2 to 3 years for training, how many  millions of dollars would this eat that  could be put to better use ?
for sake of arguement 2 years to get the planes  and the crews ready for combat, if we start today. that  would be beginning of 2009 before the crew would be ready for in country operations. mandate for operations as of now is 2009, unless the government pushes to extend the troops over there for another 3 years. so the gunship crew is in place for a few months then could be sent home and wait for the order to charge again ? waste of money for equipment, training, and ammo. 

use some of the older airframes that require replacing anyways?  a lot of money for short term weapons systems?
use some of the new fleet for this gunship?  we then lose airlift because the airframe would have to be convert to gunship and not easy  to put in and take out as the need is there for cargo or guns. cannot do both jobs.

money  would be better spent on protection equipment for our new fleet that is being ordered and built.

or we find a nice deep pocket  like Alberta or Bill Gates to pay for everything and let them maintain.

No gunships, keep the plan simple.
just my thoughts, but would be cool to see the Maple leaft on a gunship maybe the US forces would give Canada a gift of one or 2 aircraft already converted?

FormerHorseGuard said:
maybe the US forces would give Canada a gift of one or 2 aircraft already converted?

That's the spirit! Moochy moochy moochy! ;D

"DO you have your Mooching sack Canada?"

:-[ "Just the small one....."

How long would conversion and training take? Does anyone have a good estimate? How about converting our two 130H tankers. ;D

Having talked to an Air Force pers who's information defeats my own (which isn't hard when were talking Air Force stuff) It's not worth the money, energy or effort to do anything more then scrap then into pop can's. They haven't the hours left to be useful and any mre money really just throwing in into a black hole.

*Edit for spelling

Back