• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Courses List

AmmoTech90 said:
  Just because you or your supervisors were not willing to do that work does not mean other are not.

+1

I not only maintain a list of available courses for my troops but i also keep tabs on the schedules of the various schools so that i can keep an eye out for solicitation messages. I keeep my troops informed of upcoming serials and push their names up as appropriate, based on unit needs and availability of the member. Having done a large number of these courses myself, i make a good source of information for the troops.

Tell them what?  That the OP wants any course possible?  That's a quick way to show a bunch of indifference to your career planning.

Thats a quick way to end up on a course you wont like.

PuckChaser said:
Theres an Army Course calender available on DIN, lists almost all courses with a 4 letter code, where they are, and when they are being run.
Got a link? LFCA had something like what you're describing, but they stopped publishing it earlier this year.

Rheostatic said:
Got a link? LFCA had something like what you're describing, but they stopped publishing it earlier this year.

Goto          Home (LFCMS) > LFDTS > CTC Gagetown > Army National Calendar

It is at the top of the left hand col.

can you please post an actual link. i am having trouble finding that page.

StewartN said:
can you please post an actual link. i am having trouble finding that page.

The link is DWAN only.  It changes each year.  The steps to get to the link are more useful in the long term.

I gather that for a non-CF member, getting some of the course outlines and dates is not possible on this website and the DIN is off limits to us. Could any one tell me how long the 25 mm Basic Gunnery course is and where it says "Common" on the list, does that mean it is eventually taught to all personnel who are in a Mechanized Infantry Battalion, even those in the support companies?

Common means that any trade employed by the army can take it be loaded on it.  It does not mean that everyone gets it.

StepDad said:
I gather that for a non-CF member, getting some of the course outlines and dates is not possible on this website and the DIN is off limits to us. Could any one tell me how long the 25 mm Basic Gunnery course is and where it says "Common" on the list, does that mean it is eventually taught to all personnel who are in a Mechanized Infantry Battalion, even those in the support companies?
Remember that the LAV is used by other units besides mechanized infantry battallions.

AmmoTech90 said:
Common means that any trade employed by the army can take it be loaded on it.  It does not mean that everyone gets it.

True and false at the same time.

True that not everyone in the CF may get to be course loaded on it.  False to say that any Trade in the Army can be loaded on it.  Most courses that are called "Common" are those that a number of Trades or 'Sub-Trades' can be loaded onto.  A Common portion of a crse is taught before it splits off into different specializations.

In the officer stream, the Common Army Phase (CAP) was the Field porthion that all Army officers completed before going off to start their Armour, Infantry, Artillery, Engineer, etc. officer courses.

StepDad said:
The "Turret Operator Course" is 19 training days long.  It is open to certain trades: combat arms (armoured and infantry) and combat support arms (artillery, combat engineers, etc) mostly.

Technoviking said:
The "Turret Operator Course" is 19 training days long.  It is open to certain trades: combat arms (armoured and infantry) and combat support arms (artillery, combat engineers, etc) mostly.

Incorrect.  Engineers are a combat arm, as are the artillery.

dapaterson said:
Incorrect.  Engineers are a combat arm, as are the artillery.
Disagree.

Edit to add: the Australians seem to agree:

As a combat support arm, engineers are required to be able to fight in the role of infantry.

But if the engineers and artillerymen wish to consider themselves as part of that élite club, that's fine by me.  (Though I think that the artillery are already pretty "cocky", but they have good reason to be: they provide pretty awesome combat support.  And so too the engineers.  Ubique! )  ;D

Technoviking said:
But if the engineers and artillerymen wish to consider themselves as part of that élite club, that's fine by me.  (Though I think that the artillery are already pretty "cocky", but they have good reason to be: they provide pretty awesome combat support.  And so too the engineers.  Ubique! )  ;D

I suppose, in a pinch, one could refer to Canadian doctrine.  For example, perhaps a quick review of "Land Operations", dated 2008-01-01, might be in order.  B-GL-300-001/FP-001.  Chapter 1.  Para 2e (page 1-5):

Combat Arms. The term “combat arms” is a colloquial term that refers to a
slightly wider description of “combat elements.” It includes armour, infantry, field
engineers, and artillery.

Oh, sure, "doctrine" ;D

I guess then I have to divert you from the "colloquial" in para "e" to the "definitive" in paragraphs "a" and "b":
a. Combat Elements. Combat (cbt) elements consist of those elements that engage the enemy directly. They fight and typically employ direct fire weapons and manoeuvre, and include armour, infantry, and direct fire units. They are considered ground manoeuvre forces.

b. Combat Support Elements. Combat support (cbt sp) elements consist of those elements that provide fire support, operational assistance, and enablers to combat elements through designated command and control and fire support relationships. Cbt sp elements include fire support, air defence, reconnaissance, combat engineer, some electronic warfare elements, and some aviation assets. They may be referred to as simply support elements.
So, in short, "combat arm" is passé, and I amend my earlier post to read:
"The Turret Operator Course is 19 training days, and open to all Combat Elements and certain Combat Support Elements".

(and there was much rejoicing)

Technoviking said:
Oh, sure, "doctrine" ;D

I guess then I have to divert you from the "colloquial" in para "e" to the "definitive" in paragraphs "a" and "b":So, in short, "combat arm" is passé, and I amend my earlier post to read:
"The Turret Operator Course is 19 training days, and open to all Combat Elements and certain Combat Support Elements".

(and there was much rejoicing)

An infantry officer with a casual disregard for doctrine.

You are PPCLI, right?

Technoviking said:
Disagree.

Edit to add: the Australians seem to agree:

But if the engineers and artillerymen wish to consider themselves as part of that élite club, that's fine by me.  (Though I think that the artillery are already pretty "cocky", but they have good reason to be: they provide pretty awesome combat support. Ubique!  And so too the engineers.  Ubique!  Chimo!)  ;D

There fixed that one for you.......

NFLD Sapper said:
There fixed that one for you.......
There was no need to "fix" that...
(look at your collar dogs)
although we do like Chimo to differentiate from those other everywhere guys.

cheers,
Frank

PanaEng said:
although we do like Chimo to differentiate from those other everywhere guys.
I thought that "Ubique" for the engineers meant "everywhere", and for the artillery, it meant "all over the place"? 

;D

Technoviking said:
I thought that "Ubique" for the engineers meant "everywhere", and for the artillery, it meant "all over the place"? 

;D

You would be right...........

Back