• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Courses List

I saw that for the Pathfinder Course that it is for NCMs only, is it possible for an officer to do the course? I've heard from another officer that there are officers in the Pathfinders, but he wasn't specific about them actually doing the course.

Also I was wondering how often the Ranger course is offered for Canadians and what are the qualifications?Including how long the soldier has been in the forces.

AWood said:
I want to point out an error in that list of courses, it has Coyote Surveillance Op down as an Infantry course but it is actually an Armoured course. As far as I know the infantry don't even use Coyotes at all, they use the LAV 3s.          ;)

You will note that the list was post 20 May 2005, there have no doubt been changes since.  I no longer have access to a current source document for the list and no other member has produced one either.

Arty - OQ (Basic Artillery Officer Phase 4) Officer Armour Arty School

Is this an error?!

youravatar said:
Arty - OQ (Basic Artillery Officer Phase 4) Officer Armour Arty School

Is this an error?!

Probably

Michael O'Leary said:
You will note that the list was post 20 May 2005, there have no doubt been changes since.  I no longer have access to a current source document for the list and no other member has produced one either.

i think it's a pretty obvious one too basic arty but for armoured officer. hmm.

Yeah but like what Mr. O'Leary said, this is a 2 year old thread that hasn't been updated.  :cheers:

AWood said:
I want to point out an error in that list of courses, it has Coyote Surveillance Op down as an Infantry course but it is actually an Armoured course. As far as I know the infantry don't even use Coyotes at all, they use the LAV 3s.          ;)

2 years back the infantry in Petawawa had IIRC 4 remote surv coyotes.

Until the coyotes were removed from the infantry recce platoons, they did indeed run surveillance courses.  As courses evolve and mature, the list also changes.  It takes time.

I was unaware that the infantry ran Surv Op courses at all, I knew they used the T.I. and obviousley did Recce, but I didnt think they used RMSS or MMSS.

Yep
RCR in Pet IIRC 5 RMSS.I remember as our guys were complaining that they had RMSS...while we had a troop of grizzly's. ;D

Oh yeah, RMSS is fun because you have to hump all the kit 200m away from the vehicle and they love to set them up on high ground. Great kit though.  :salute:

I've gone through that whole list, and i was still left without an answer...is there a specific course that an infantry soldier needs to take to become a breacher or is this a position that everyone is supposed to be trained on how to do?

Caliex

Michael O'Leary said:
The list in the original post was the list of course controlled by the Canadian Army at the time it was posted.  It has not been amended for any changes since then.  It does not include all possible courses a soldier or officer might attend in their career.

Michael, thanks very much for this.  I'm wondering if you (or anyone else in the forum) could enlighten me on who would teach (on what course) a particular subject - combat/tactical (aka man)tracking?  I presume some of this content would be included on both the Recce Patrolman, Basic Sniper and possibly (?) the Patrol Pathfinder course...  Any and all insights welcomed!

Cheers!
Pathfinder

Does the NCM/Officer column mean that an officer cant do the Patrol Pathfinder Course?

Patrol Pathfinder is open to Officer's, just as the Ranger course run in the US is as well.  This was told to me by a former Sgt I was on Phase 3 with.

Unfortunately some of the courses listed haven't changed that much in course material, but they have in name.  ie.  QL3 infantry is now DP 1 Infantry, and it's not just run at the infantry school, but also at LFCA TC Meaford (Land Force Central Area Training Centre) and WATC (Western Area Training Centre).

Canadian.Trucker said:
Patrol Pathfinder is open to Officer's, just as the Ranger course run in the US is as well.  This was told to me by a former Sgt I was on Phase 3 with.

Unfortunately some of the courses listed haven't changed that much in course material, but they have in name.  ie.  QL3 infantry is now DP 1 Infantry, and it's not just run at the infantry school, but also at LFCA TC Meaford (Land Force Central Area Training Centre) and WATC (Western Area Training Centre).

Don't forget LFAA TC DET ALDERSHOT but I think the Centre of Excellence for the course would be The Infantry School.

Michael O`Leary said:

NFLD Sapper said:
Yeah but like what Mr. O'Leary said, this is a 2 year old thread that hasn't been updated.  :cheers:
... but if you did want a list which can be updated, it would be here:
MCG said:
Another source to search (& update): http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Army_Courses

I tried doing a search, but didn't want to start a new thread as this was close enough.  I know the Basic Intelligence Officer Course is run at CFSMI in Kingston, but does anyone know the approximate length of this course?

Basic Intelligence Officer PT 1(DL) 1/Sep/09   11/Sep/09
Basic Intelligence Officer  PT 2 20/May/09  14/Aug/09

Current dates for the course.

Thank you very much Sapper - but I believe that must be the PRes course?

Back