• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

I think Canadians care more about who is US president than Canadian PM.
I'm not quite that pessimistic - they may be more interested in the U.S. president, but I still think they care who's in charge here. Then again, polling data doesn't always reflect or track voter turnout. Too easy for me to express a preference on a phone or online survey, but harder to get out and mark my X.

So, again, I go back to what I considered a "15 minute neighborhood" in Hamilton. If you want to look it up, it's called Hampton Heights. Specifically, I lived on East 45th between Fennel and Mohawk. Within 15 min walking distance there were 2 large chain grocery stores, branches for 3 or 4 of the big 5 banks, 3 Tim Hortons, several bars, several restaurants, easy access to public transit, several elementary schools (the high school is a 20min walk), and a park that you absolutely could let your kids go to by themselves. And all this inside a large city.

Could you replicate this in a more suburban setting? I believe so. A lot of the newer subdivision (meaning going back 20-30 years) in southern Ontario were all designed as apartment communities with very few if any amenities within walking distance. Just a lot of houses, a park, and maybe a school if you are lucky. We can do better. Be like Hamilton mountain!
It's possible to have "15 minute neighbourhoods", sure. I've lived in one, too (Burnaby Heights - that strip along Hastings between Boundary and the foot of Capitol Hill). That has to be replicated across an entire city for anyone to aspire to call it a "15 minute city". Otherwise, it's still the case that the amount of commercial activity that the population can support is concentrated just enough to benefit some, but not all.

Also, this is an interesting breakdown of US presidential preferences among Canadian voters (source - archived link)🍿
Canada's worry is Congress, not the White House, but I suppose most people haven't paid enough attention to figure that out. Also Canada's worry is what happens if the US manages to hit a borrowing wall in the next 5 to 10 years.

Or me.

As to why? Because I don't. That is my choice, my right and my privilege. I still have those for now. I'm not required to justify my choice to anyone. Especially to anyone on the other end of the political spectrum to me and those that support our anti Canadian, psychopathic narcissist of a PM and his harem of trained seals.

Canada's worry is Congress, not the White House, but I suppose most people haven't paid enough attention to figure that out. Also Canada's worry is what happens if the US manages to hit a borrowing wall in the next 5 to 10 years.

We'll have already hit that wall ourselves, long before the US. We'll be to busy trying to survive the depression and soup lines to worry about anyone else.

Show me on the doll where the 15min city concept touched you…

Who cares where or how you live. If you like it live there if not then stay where you are either way find real things to get angry about.

I think Canadians care more about who is US president than Canadian PM.

I follow both closely, for good reason. I live in a border town that has huge financial, manufacturing and social interest in what happens across the border. I also tend to believe the further Canadians live from the border, the less the impact of the US has on them and the less interest they have in the goings on there. I doubt those in Ft Mac follow US politics the way we do in my city.

The way I understand it is that in a 15 minute city/neighborhood, everything you need is located within a 15 minute walk. So is it really a 15 minute city if you need to commute for three hours/ 150 km, a shift to work?

I follow both closely, for good reason. I live in a border town that has huge financial, manufacturing and social interest in what happens across the border. I also tend to believe the further Canadians live from the border, the less the impact of the US has on them and the less interest they have in the goings on there. I doubt those in Ft Mac follow US politics the way we do in my city.

You bet they follow US politics in Fort 'McMoney' ;)

For example.... from 2019

JT is worth what, $100m? Why not just pay for it yourself and avoid all this.

He wouldn't be worth 100M if he was paying for his lavish lifestyle out of his own pocket.

He was worth 8 million in 15 when he became PM. Great gig if you can get it.🙄

Not even close, He and Sophie did well selling their Montreal House with a $600,000 profit and his publicly announced second Tranche of his Grandfathers money was about 2.3 on top of the first Million. His third and last tranche has never been released but His Imperial Oil shares ( the majority of the inheritance ) have done well over time

Who cares where or how you live. If you like it live there if not then stay where you are either way find real things to get angry about.

First I read of it was on here. Had to look it up.

We don't even have a sidewalk.

Then there's no need for all this "nudging" that the proponents of "nudging" have been writing and talking about, or it must not exist. Otherwise, pushback is bound to happen and is not more inherently discreditable than the "nudging".

A thing about "live and let live" is that it works both ways and the costs shouldn't spill over. The people who want to live in "15 minute cities" can also shut up and mind their own business, and live on their own dime.

To quote former Liberal cabinet minister and former president of the Royal Canadian Mint, David Dingwall "I am entitled to my entitlements."

Then there's no need for all this "nudging" that the proponents of "nudging" have been writing and talking about, or it must not exist. Otherwise, pushback is bound to happen and is not more inherently discreditable than the "nudging".

A thing about "live and let live" is that it works both ways and the costs shouldn't spill over. The people who want to live in "15 minute cities" can also shut up and mind their own business, and live on their own dime.
Examples of that nudging? I haven’t really seen it. But I’ve seen a lot of belly aching. This thread is a prime example. No one here seems to be pushing 15 min cities but a few seem mighty upset about the concept.

Back