• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trudeau Popularity - or not. Nanos research

Examples of that nudging? I haven’t really seen it. But I’ve seen a lot of belly aching. This thread is a prime example. No one here seems to be pushing 15 min cities but a few seem mighty upset about the concept.
Abundant. Every policy aimed at getting people to accept densification. Every policy aimed at getting people to give up cars.

Abundant. Every policy aimed at getting people to accept densification. Every policy aimed at getting people to give up cars.

And - coincidentally - the more people who live in cities, these days especially, the more people who will vote for the left wing governments.

Viz:

Overall, the liberal tilt of big cities is unmistakable. Even cities with conservative reputations (such as Dallas, Santa Ana, Calif. and Cincinnati) show up as left-of-center, if only slightly. This is perhaps not surprising: As the Pew Research Center recently found, 46% of consistent liberals said they’d prefer to live in a city, versus just 4% of consistent conservatives. Liberals also are about twice as likely as conservatives to live in urban areas, while conservatives are more concentrated in rural areas.

1705551546671.png

Time to look beyond the obvious.
This particular piece of policy aspiration must horrify you.

Withhold transit and infrastructure funding from cities until sufficient high-density housing around transit stations is built and occupied.

So increases density near public transit. Get rid of cars and contain everyone in one spot and get them on public transit to travel. And if not, no money for you.

Yes it does. Not everything the Conservative Party states pleases me.

Yes it does. Not everything the Conservative Party states pleases me.

Well housing is one of their main policy points.

With that, does it mean they are in on what is beyond the obvious as you describe it?

PP and the cons appear to me to be the best choice of all available options at this time.

I don't know what else you are referring to. Are you fishing for some sort of conspiratorial comment? How's this then: when the government of the day says one thing, they often do or mean something else.

PP and the cons appear to me to be the best choice of all available options at this time.
Right. So if one is opposed to densification and urban planning, crapping exclusively on one party when all of them seem to have the same policy concepts is a bit disingenuous. I just find political opposition to what amounts to urban planning weird.
I don't know what else you are referring to. Are you fishing for some sort of conspiratorial comment? How's this then: when the government of the day says one thing, they often do or mean something else.
I have no idea what you were referring to when you stated that it was time to look beyond the obvious in response to what I said about it simply being urban planning and my sarcastic remark of it being evil.

what is it that specifically horrifies you about having density near transit?

This particular piece of policy aspiration must horrify you.

Withhold transit and infrastructure funding from cities until sufficient high-density housing around transit stations is built and occupied.

So increases density near public transit. Get rid of cars and contain everyone in one spot and get them on public transit to travel. And if not, no money for you.
They have it backwards. Design and construct the transit system and then design and construct the residential and commercial zones around the transit. In Grimsby they put 7000 residential units around in adjacent to the QEW. Since there are limited industrial opportunities in Grimsby and since the costs are well below the Toronto area, there are now 7000 more vehicles accessing the QEW every morning and that is just one of a half dozen communities south and east of Hamilton. Go train service is just getting going and even then it is a 2 hour trip to Toronto. The Go bus is ridiculous since it has to join those 7000 cars. If they had started with the rail service or even a light rail service on a protected corridor they wouldn't have the nightmare they have now. But they haven't learned. Milton to Streetsville is in the process of being filled in with medium density housing and there are no planned rapid transit routes: just buses. Transit works in most cities in Europe because there are multiple rail lines with a new train every few minutes not every 20 minutes or half hour and there are limited places to park in the city corridor.

Two good interviews from yesterday. If you listen to Christie Clark, see is bang on with Trudeau's comments re the US.
Also sounds like she would be a good fit for the Federal Liberal party to be a PM. Will she run?

How would Canada handle a potential second Trump win? | Power Play with Vassy Kapelos

Canada failing to match the needs of asylum seekers: panelists | Power Play with Vassy Kapelos

Two good interviews from yesterday. If you listen to Christie Clark, see is bang on with Trudeau's comments re the US.
Also sounds like she would be a good fit for the Federal Liberal party to be a PM. Will she run?

How would Canada handle a potential second Trump win? | Power Play with Vassy Kapelos

Canada failing to match the needs of asylum seekers: panelists | Power Play with Vassy Kapelos

not if she actually wants to become p.m. I am thinking it is a safe bet that the next leader will be a throw-away

I'm betting the Law firm she works for pays alot better, with less hassle, than politics ;)

... Every policy aimed at getting people to accept densification ...
An example from last spring: NL (Team Red gov't right now) is trying to get people to move from smaller outports to larger centres in order to save money on things like ferry service, water treatment, electric, school, town-hall & mail. Seem to have offered $250K a head to move out, and a majority (64%) voted "let's go", but not enough to confirm the move (75%).
Saving taxpayer money/cutting big government costs? Evil gulag/ethnic cleansing scheme? All in the eye of the beholder, I guess ...

I can't even fathom how people can come up with these ideas, this country is going to virtue signal and handicap itself to death. With our economy, debt, social climate we're to the point where you hope our kids don't have kids, unless they move to another continent to do it. This country will not be a good place to be in within 50 years and unrecognizable in 100.

Back