• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Yukon Fur Hat

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
.... and animal rights activists are upset.
The Department of National Defence has decided to add fur to the winter gear of the Canadian Forces, a move that’s getting a frosty reception from animal-rights advocates.

The government says fur is part of Canada’s heritage and the winter tuque currently in use doesn’t stand up to the rigours of the Canadian winter. So it’s buying an initial run of 1,000 fur-trimmed caps at a cost of $65,000, for use by guards of honour and Canadian Forces starting this winter.

“It has recently been identified that the winter tuque does not meet the Canadian Forces requirements in our Canadian climate,” said DND spokeswoman Josée Hunter.

It’s another return to tradition for the Harper government, which has restored the “Royal” designation to the air force and navy. British troops serving in Canada in the 1800s wore a fur head covering, and the Royal Canadian Corps of Signals (now the Communications and Electronics Branch) donned muskrat hats in the 1920s and 30s.

Although bearskin caps are still worn by the Ceremonial Guard, the Forces have largely switched from fur to synthetic. A synthetic fur cap was put into general service for male personnel after unification of the forces in 1968, and women’s mink fur hats were replaced by tuques in the 1990s.

Now, however, National Defence says the winter headgear isn’t cutting it, so it is bringing in so-called Yukon caps trimmed with muskrat fur.

“DND has reintroduced fur for the Yukon cap because the current winter tuque and synthetic version of the Yukon cap did not meet the specific requirements of the [Canadian Forces], including the thermal requirements due to our Canadian climate,” Ms. Hunter said in an e-mail.

That claim was greeted with incredulity by animal-rights groups, who say modern synthetics have become proven substitutes for fur.

“There are synthetics that are just as good and that don’t necessitate the killing of animals,” Elizabeth Sharpe of the World Society for the Protection of Animals said from Toronto. “Killing animals for their fur is completely unnecessary and cruel.” ....
Globe & Mail, 4 Oct 11

I was wondering what was taking them so long to speak up.

Even if I didn't like the hat (which I do), I'd be ordering one anyway just to prance around and irritate these people. :prancing:

“There are synthetics that are just as good and that don’t necessitate the killing of animals,” Elizabeth Sharpe of the World Society for the Protection of Animals said from Toronto. “Killing animals for their fur is completely unnecessary and cruel.”

That's okay.  The muskrat meat will end up in the next round of IMPs.  ;)

I wonder why they don't complain about our leather boots.  ::)

PMedMoe said:
I wonder why they don't complain about our leather boots.  ::)
Because nobody's asked them (yet).

Whats a couple more muskrats?  :dunno:

531f5_funny-graphs-peta-u-scary.gif

PETA, my favourite group - People for the Eating of Tasty Animals!  Oh, wait, it's not the same PETA?

PMedMoe said:
The muskrat meat will end up in the next round of IMPs.  ;)
Don't know exactly how tasty that would be, though.

I have no problems with PETA protesting P Diddy - none at all.......I think they should concentrate their efforts on him.

Not sure about a Yukon hat though......just not sure......do we have a dress reg on when you can have the ear flaps up versus down?

milnews.ca said:
Don't know exactly how tasty that would be, though.

Quite tasty, in fact. For years, many small communities hosted muskrat dinners on Friday or Saturday nights. Many still do, but not so many people trap them anymore. If you've ever had beaver (the swimming, dam building kind ;) ) the taste is very close.

Staff Weenie said:
do we have a dress reg on when you can have the ear flaps up versus down?

No but I'm sure they will soon be a 50 page thread on it here soon. 8)

Staff Weenie said:
do we have a dress reg on when you can have the ear flaps up versus down?

It will have to be coordinated with the blousing of trousers.

The next step will be genetically modified Cadpat Muskrats courtesy of the CTS team.  :waiting:

It didn't take long for this one to get into a death spiral.  :cheers:

Old Sweat said:
It will have to be coordinated with the blousing of trousers.

The next step will be genetically modified Cadpat Muskrats courtesy of the CTS team.  :waiting:

Talk to Monsanto....they have a GREAT track record in genetically modified stuff.....but be careful. If your cadpat muskrat fools around with a regular one, and produces genetic variances....they will sue you.

GAP said:
If your cadpat muskrat fools around with a regular one, and produces genetic variances....they will sue you.

Is it going to sprout Multicam ?

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DxBYV_7a0FQs&sa=U&ei=-2eMTubmLYH20gHKpYTEBA&ved=0CBYQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNETYInDHvhLS28dL6BBEkMf9LV1-A

(Come on - you all were thinking the same thing)

This is a good choice.  The muskrat Yukon hat is much warmer than a touque and looks good with a uniform (field and dress).  I own one personally and it is the best $50 I ever spent.

That it p!$$es off PETA is an added bonus!  ;D

As for regs on how to wear the ear flaps...perhaps they should follow the RCMP regs.  Although I can see someone saying "Earflaps stay up unless it is -17C or colder"  ::)

CDN Aviator said:
Is it going to sprout Multicam ?

Naah NDHQ is still working on arid versus green cadpat. Rumour has it a newly arrived WO will be assigned as assistant project manager.

Back