• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

I love the Suunto X10 but 500 bux is a bit steep. 100M WR so can go into water no probs, GPS and all the bells and whistles. I'd like to find a comparable watch in a less expensive brand.

I have been looking through the forums for a watch that can withstand the typical shock of a field ex,  but none of them mention anything about how well the display stands up to bug juice.  every guy I was on course with had a useless watch after last summer simply becuase the deet would destroy the plate and moisture got in behind it.  So i'm wondering what makes or tips you guys have to keeping your watch alive while you are being destroyed by insects?

You crazy kids and your high-tech digital watches...

Get yourself a decent analog stainless steel watch and you're set.

I generally put my watch in my pocket in the field or strap it around my slip-on or pocket flap.  I've even strapped it to the shoulder of my webbing a time or two.  just try to remember not to fiddle with it until your hands are free of bug juice (as much as possible any way).

I have used a Timex Expedition pretty much continuously since rejoining in 1995.  Field exercises, two deployments, etc and it's still working.  The only thing I had to replace was the strap when it broke on a winter ex from the cold.  Cheap, too.  :nod:

atomic_watches_03.jpg

Well that's one way to beat finding a watch that has multiple timezones!  :nod:

I used an old timex analog watch that CP GEAR used to carry a good number of years ago.... it has taken a licking and is still ticking.....

Stainless steel is good, titanium is better.  Lorus, Seiko's low end line, makes stainless for under $75 and titanium under $130.  Stainless steel back is not good - the case will still corrode.  Aim for at least 50m water resistance, preferably 100m.  The good thing is that you do not have to wear Timex.

And make sure it has big shoulders protecting the crown from being snapped off.

Timex Expedition "Twist and pull" with Indiglo. 50m water resistant.

On my second one in the past 10 years now. Very sturdy and allows for quick adjustments during time checks.

About $60.

Regards

I had a hard time finding a digital watch that didn't have 4 time-zones 3 alarms and 4 different ways to time something and could set up your hoochie for you [/hyperbole], even at the 15 dollar range. I bought one of those big hunkin cheap Coleman watches before BMOQ, simply because it was the only 15 dollar watch at Wal-Mart that was primarily green ;D

I quickly decided that when I was done the course, I'd be throwing it out and getting a new one to wear for work. I got yelled at during a time-check because I wasn't participating (as I had found out the week before... I no longer had a clue how to set the time on it).

I paid 40 bucks for a Timex Expedition. It's small, has a light, stop-watch, 1 alarm, and 2 time-zones (I tried as hard as I could to find one that could only tell me ONE time at a time). After using it for the past few months, I think I would have happily paid the "regular price" of 70 for it. I just can't believe I had to pay extra money for a design more similar to the $10 Timex Indiglo I wore as a 5 year old.

I never noticed bug juice affect a watch?

I use a carabiener watch I found at Marks Work Warehouse for $20.  It's analogue with glow in the dark markings that actually work reasonably good.  Also comes with a red or blue LED flashlight.  I hang it off whatever's handy, and it's easier than digging between gloves and cuffs to get at my watch, only to have an indiglo light blow light discipline.

And, for $20 who cares if it gets wrecked?

watch.jpg

Not being near KAF during my tour I paid the ANA 2 dollars and got a brand new "Casio" from a bazaar. Almost two years and besides Adjust (Ajdust) being spelt wrong on it it is the best watch I've ever owned. :)

With over 15 years of training in the (real) jungles of the Northern Territory, and North Queensland, I have never had an issue with the damage of watches by bug juice.

I have seen the worst of nature's mini beasts at their best, from huge stinging ants, giant spiders, paralysis ticks, huge mosquitos bearing diseases such as Ross River and Dengue fevers.

Apply your bug juice often and generously as directed, but not on your watch. Here in the humidity you sweat it off almost immediatly or the rain washes it off just as fast.

If in doubt, run your watch strap thru a button hole below your collar or on your brest pocket. 

My field watches the past 15 yrs have been the Traser P6500 since 2006, and before that a US 1982 vintage Hamilton stainless 24hr dial mil-spec watch, and before that a Bretiling military watch. All watches are still in good working condition. 

You get what you pay for.

OWDU

Thank you all for the replies. That traser looks like a nice watch, now comes the deeper ponderings of whether or not I buy a watch to see me through the tactical part of my career or just buy a few watches at once for a low price and disregard their well-being. Either way I have a better start then before.  Cheers.

Gandhi said:
Thank you all for the replies. That traser looks like a nice watch, now comes the deeper ponderings of whether or not I buy a watch to see me through the tactical part of my career or just buy a few watches at once for a low price and disregard their well-being. Either way I have a better start then before.  Cheers.

Good, because there's already a huge thread on watch preferences. You just have to search.

Milnet.ca Staff

Hello,

So after searching the forum, using the search tool, I see a few of the same brands/model of watches being recommended while in the field. I am going in the Navy as Naval Comm and obviously I will be performing my trade's duties and at the same time other duties required as a Sailor as well. For those Navy personal, what type of watch do you recommend for the Navy?

Regards,

You don't need a watch in the Navy, there are clocks all over the place and they like whistles.  They whistle for every important timing, which eliminates the need for a watch!

Seriously though navy life is soft compared to field life, so any watch will do.  You could consider a dual time zone watch as you will soon find out that everything runs on Zulu time.

Timex Ironman or Expedition series.  Waterproof and has a plastic case, with a plastic crystal.

If you get anything metal, or one with a glass crystal, you'll just end up having it scratched to hell, or the crystal will get busted the first time you bash your wrist on a hatch combing, door, bulkhead, ladder, or any of the other assorted steel goodies aboard ship.

edit:  The Indiglo feature is nice when you're out on the upper deck at O-dark-thirty.

Back