• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

Yea the Timax Expedition is a great watch i have one myself (green one) works well has a compass and high and low tide indicator. Also not to bad on the wallet.

darkskye said:
Hello,

So after searching the forum, using the search tool, I see a few of the same brands/model of watches being recommended while in the field. I am going in the Navy as Naval Comm and obviously I will be performing my trade's duties and at the same time other duties required as a Sailor as well. For those Navy personal, what type of watch do you recommend for the Navy?

Regards,

darkskye
Dual time zones is nice to have but any water-resistant watch will do.  You don't need an alarm feature.

darkskye said:
Hello,

So after searching the forum, using the search tool, I see a few of the same brands/model of watches being recommended while in the field. I am going in the Navy as Naval Comm and obviously I will be performing my trade's duties and at the same time other duties required as a Sailor as well. For those Navy personal, what type of watch do you recommend for the Navy?

Regards,

darkskye

Can't resist it ! Yew's better get one with a Big Hand that points to the Minuets and a Small Hand that points to the Hours,

Sorry, go ahead and flame me.  :rofl:

Cheers.

Any water resistant watch will do. Ive got a great Citizen eco-drive watch I wear ashore, but when we go to sea I put it away and put on an ugly cheap ditigal watch resembling something out of a gumball machine.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
You don't need a watch in the Navy, there are clocks all over the place and they like whistles.  They whistle for every important timing, which eliminates the need for a watch!

Don't know about your Navy but over here it is a standing order for every sailor to have a watch.

In a Damage Control scenario a watch could prove life saving for yourself or one of your crew mates.

Actually, 8 years ago, while the ship was alongside in Jabal Ali, I bought 6 Rolexes for 80 US$. Still have 4 of them working. They are metal with glass, but work and hey, they are quite stylish!!!
Seriously, don't spend alot of money on a shipboard watch. Anything over $15 at walmart the weekend before you sail is a waste of money. As for the clocks on board - A funny little story:
The MCR on TOR had 3 - one on local time, one on ZULU and one ???? No 2 were the same and non were correct! I was RegPO in the Office at the time and got the scribe to go to Zellers and buy a $10 kitchen clock with a simple face and 12" dial. As of TGEx 08, it was still there!!! Also, the 'clock guy' use to come and check it and adjust ship's clocks accordingly!

Pat in Halifax said:
Actually, 8 years ago, while the ship was alongside in Jabal Ali, I bought 6 Rolexes for 80 US$. Still have 4 of them working. They are metal with glass, but work and hey, they are quite stylish!!!
Seriously, don't spend alot of money on a shipboard watch. Anything over $15 at walmart the weekend before you sail is a waste of money. As for the clocks on board - A funny little story:
The MCR on TOR had 3 - one on local time, one on ZULU and one ???? No 2 were the same and non were correct! I was RegPO in the Office at the time and got the scribe to go to Zellers and buy a $10 kitchen clock with a simple face and 12" dial. As of TGEx 08, it was still there!!! Also, the 'clock guy' use to come and check it and adjust ship's clocks accordingly!

That reminds me of an Army story, a true story, I was there.

It was, maybe still is, SOP for the Signal Officer to give the correct time every day and at every O Gp (Orders Group). But we all knew Pronto's* 'dirty little secret:' there was no correct time and Pronto used to show us this by causing three "time check" radio calls to be made on three nets simultaneously: the brigade command net, the brigade 'guard' net (the back up) and the artillery net. Within seconds we would get three responses and there was, routinely, five minutes difference between the fastest and slowest.

Our Pronto, in 2RCR in the late 1960s, changed our battalion SOP. The only times about which we really cared, he reasoned, were:

1. The time in A Battery, 1RCHA, because that determined when timed fire plans started and ended; and

2. Corps nuclear time - which was, most likely, going to be known in the 1RCHA RHQ.

Therefore, until we went through a huge organizational cluster-fuck in 1969, in 2RCR time was maintained and broadcast etc - including at O Gps, by the duty officer/NCO in the integrated (battalion mortars and A Bty) Fire Control Centre. It worked, too.

But, at the end of one exercise the CO decided to have a bit of fun at Pronto's expense and, at the end of his orders, he said, "Pronto: time! Pronto said, "Wait," which was acceptable and we all thought he was going to check on the radio, which was also acceptable. He returned in a few seconds and gave a time check. The CO looked down at him (the CO, 'Big Jim' Cowan, was a very tall man) and said, "is that time accurate, Pronto?" "It's the only time that matters, Colonel," Pronto replied. "Where did it come from?" the CO asked. "Pte Dreesen, your batman, Colonel," said the happy Sig O, "that's the time he set your watch to earlier this morning." A very good laugh was had by all, including the CO.

----------
* The radio 'appointment title' for the Signals person.

Pat in Halifax said:

During the morning time check, anyone standing next to a clock is supposed to adjust said clock accordingly.  If not next to a clock, then check their wristwatch.I know, I rarely see it too, but that is the purpose of the daily time check.  Isn't that the purpose of any time check?

Edited for spelling

I think the Army may have solved its time problem systemically: modern radios which have either or both of automatic remote crypto keying or frequency hopping capabilities must have a very effective synchronization capability which relies, 99.99+%, on an established "time of day" that, probably, is set by some trusted source. So the COMSEC or RF folks may have solved the Signals' time problem. (I'm not sure because I retired before TCCCS entered service.)

Doesn't that happen on ships, too? Are there not systems that are synchronized with some sort of 'master' that has a built-in 'time' capability?

E.R. Campbell said:
I think the Army may have solved its time problem systemically: modern radios which have either or both of automatic remote crypto keying or frequency hopping capabilities must have a very effective synchronization capability which relies, 99.99+%, on an established "time of day" that, probably, is set by some trusted source. So the COMSEC or RF folks may have solved the Signals' time problem. (I'm not sure because I retired before TCCCS entered service.)

Doesn't that happen on ships, too? Are there not systems that are synchronized with some sort of 'master' that has a built-in 'time' capability?

Sure, as George said, and as I have seen and done, the GPS time is used to coordinate the time check.  But there are clocks in almost every space -10 dollar  kitchen-type clocks in some cases - that still require manual adjustment - every time there is a time check.  It is no big deal, it just doesn't get done with any sense of regularity.

E.R. Campbell said:

The time from GPS is accurate.  Additionally, the NET(C) trade (who are responsible for the clock system) will usually just tune an HF receiver in to CHU/WWV for an accurate time source for setting the ship's clock system, which is not as bad as some are making it out to be.

Don't worry your relief in the Bridge or CCR will ensure you are up. (trust me)

And in response to Dolphin Hunter's comment about the field vs Navy (by no means a flame) I thought the same thing when I transferred from the Infantry to the Navy in 1990. I thought this is going to be the life! Hot showers, nice rack, TVs etc.

Until, we left Halifax Harbour in February onboard MARGAREE and I was (violently) green for the next 6 days across the pond. I was praying for my trench at Juliet Tower and a frozen ham omelet.

Happy Fathers Day to all!

MARS:
Not meaning to sound facetious (By the way - the only word I know of with all 5 vowels) but the clocks on Halifax class are centrally set and are sailor proof (cannot open 'locally'). I can only assume your time at sea is on board other classes. This just adds to the humour of the morning time check - one person on board can change the ship's clocks and if he/she is in bed.....
I only know that the 'control' is in the Forward Switchboard but beyond that.....

Anyway, back to the original, don't spend alot of bucks on a watch for at sea. Even if your job finds you at a chair operating a keyboard, when it gets rough, you will get tossed around-no need in ruining a half decent watch.

Clocks in IROQUOIS class ships are centrally controlled as well.  Also, there is a section of technicians at the Fleet Maintenance Facility who repair and calibrate them as well.

There's been some good advice posted here.  Get yourself a modestly priced watch with two time zones, particularly useful for a Nav Comm.  If you become a diver, you will be issued a diver's watch, which leads to a funny story:

Years ago we were in "Rosy" (Naval Station Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico) on a Sunday Routine when one of the divers decided to go to the beach at Fajardo, which is a huge public area, well known for the prominence of thieves, pickpockets and the like.  The general rule is you don't leave anything valuable unattended.  After spending some time sunning himself, our diver decided to go for a dip.  He then proceeded to remove his issued DIVER's watch to go swimming!!!  I should point out that his was a Rolex Oyster (only good to 400m or so).  As luck would have it, the watch was stolen from his bag on the beach.  We all got a good chuckle out of it - the diver, at his summary trial - not so much. :nod:

Pat in Halifax said:
MARS:
I can only assume your time at sea is on board other classes.

;D Quite right - with the exception of KINGSTON class ships, every other ship I have sailed in has been decommissioned.

rezz said:
Hello,

Regards,

rezz

Trust me, the first time you slip and get your wrist hung  by your watch on a hatch dog or coaming, you'll realize you don"t need one.

Besides, I have yet to find one that tells me time at sea: They just don't tell you if its five bells in the forenoon or three bells in the first dog.

Whoops! Did I just reveal my age here :) :) :)

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Trust me, the first time you slip and get your wrist hung  by your watch on a hatch dog or coaming, you'll realize you don"t need one.

Besides, I have yet to find one that tells me time at sea: They just don't tell you if its five bells in the forenoon or three bells in the first dog.

Whoops! Did I just reveal my age here :) :) :)

Wow and here I thought you were taught using the sun dial.  ;D

Sundials don't work on platforms that move (but you knew that right?).  Traditionally, ships used a half-hour glass.  Every half hour, one of the ship's boys would turn the glass and ring the bell (that's where the bells come from).  This was the only way to keep time until Harrison perfected his marine chronometer (the originals of which are on display at the Royal Observatory at Greenwich.

Sorry for injecting serious history into this conversation.  ::)

Back to the real thread - you need a watch at sea.  I've never managed to hang myself off a hatch combing by my watch strap.  Rings are a different story....  I take those off.

Pusser said:
I've never managed to hang myself off a hatch combing by my watch strap. 

Unfortunately, I have - Mackenzie 1977, going down the main caf. ladder - got hung by my (very solid I might add) Seiko steel band watch - and got a very painful six weeks in a cast. I never wore a watch at sea after that: I always relied on the pipes and ship's clock (Which, indeed, we adjusted once a day from the international uniform time radio signal). Even as the Pilot, I always used the ship's clock and a chronometer I taped to a clip board holding my passage plan.

And BTW Ex-D, we only used sun dials in astronavigation in those days - especially for evening sights ;) .

Even with the red warning message above (rise from the dead, necro-post! :)) I really don't think this question warrants a new topic.  I have a perfectly good analog watch I would be happy to use (and certainly prefer over digital), but as with many analog watches there is no alarm feature.  Heading to BMQ soon, and really just wondering if it's worth getting another (inexpensive) wristwatch solely to have an alarm function, i.e. is an alarm a "necessity" or just a "nice to have"?

Back