• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

As long as someone in your room or in your platoon has an alarm, I bet you'll be fine. Or just sleep until the staff wakes you up.  >:D

I recommend a +/- $20 digital watch from Walmart.

They tell time, wrap around your wrist and if damaged/lost (trust me it will happen.....more than once), not a big deal.

CDN Aviator said:

They tell time, wrap around your wrist and if damaged/lost (trust me it will happen.....more than once), not a big deal.

That's all you need. Best investment ever while on tour. Mine is still "ticking".

I always see these "Special Forces" watches that go for over $100 each. Last time I check, the SF folks still use the same idea as the rest of the troops in the CF. Wal Mart special.

Regards,
TN2IC

CDN Aviator said:

Best advice.  I have owned a multitude of Iron mans and Casios. I have destroyed each and everyone with the military.  The friggen rucksack is the evil culprit in most cases.  A basic one will do the same as any fancy one, at this level of your career.  Save your money, ans still meet your timings.

R@chel said:
Casio Pathfinder from Costco.

Compass, Altimeter, Barometer, Temperature

Just picked this one up on ebay, cheap.  Most I will do that is outdoorsy will be fishing, so I think this suits my needs and will last.

dileas

tess

Loud and clear...quit being a cheapass and spend a few bucks on the Wal-Mart special.  ;)

Thanks for the input, guys!

Definitely a casio g shock. You can get them at any walmart, zellers, etc. I swear by these watches. Ive been wearing one since I was 15. They are tough, water resistant, mud/dirt resistant. I'd never buy another watch

Sekonda $40 special I bought at a duty free shop in Scotland... ;D

Before that I had a Timex Expedition that I was heart broken when my toddler pulled the crown pin out :'(. That thing survived 4 years and a bit.

Got a cheap G-Shock, won't look back and won't shed a tear if it's lost/broken. :)

Thanks again!

Baby-G all the way...  Seriously, seven pages about watches!?

Zoomie said:
Yup because watches are like opinions and we all know what opinions are like  ;-)
>:D

Bah, just duct tape a smart phone to your arm.

I have a nice watch, got it as a gift, wear it out.  Its waterproof, durable, and shiny.  Not something I want on my arm where it could be noticed.  If you like watches with bells and whistles see here http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/
I echo the $20 watch, good for camping and what not.

I have a 3 watch rotation for Army stuff:

Both a Traser P6505 Titanium and a Marathon TSAR for work, and a CWC G10 for everything else.

The Traser and Marathon both use Tritium Tubes for illumination.

All are pure military watches. None are cheap, but they are very very sturdy Quartz watches, without being overly huge like a G Shock. This is provided you don't use them for a substitute hammer (well the TSAR could).

Luminox 3900:
Ive had it for a while now and I have only had to change the strap once. Watch has gone through alot of punishment with little damage.

This one is alittle cheaper then some of the other models but it is still expensive. If you buy a watch, might as well invest alittle more and have it for a long time rather then buy a $20 watch and have to change it often.

Zoomie said:

LOL.  Yes we army folk are quite simple.  This topic doesn't require much research or words over 5 or 6 letters.

Just give us something shiny and it will keep us busy for hours.  :)

armybuck041 said:
I have a 3 watch rotation for Army stuff:

Both a Traser P6505 Titanium and a Marathon TSAR for work, and a CWC G10 for everything else.

The Traser and Marathon both use Tritium Tubes for illumination.

All are pure military watches. None are cheap, but they are very very sturdy Quartz watches, without being overly huge like a G Shock. This is provided you don't use them for a substitute hammer (well the TSAR could).

What store carries these usually?

I need to replace my Timex watch. I'm looking for a subtle watch with a stopwatch/count down timer like the typical iron man Timex watch however I'm thinking about trying to find a watch with a built in GPS/heart rate monitor.  HRM being the more important of the two, any suggestions?

Lots of nice watches but some of them are just gigantic. It looks like guys have minicomputers on their wrists. i don't need to calculate airspeed, altitude, alignment of Mars against Venus etc..

Grimaldus said:
What store carries these usually?

Doubt any of these can be found in a store. All were purchased either on EBay or an online shop. Either way, they are all basic analogue watches with no other function than Time and Date.

Sounds like some sort of Suunto is what you're after.

My vote also goes to the Casio G-shock line, after breaking two Timex Expeditions in the span of 4 days, I jumped off the Timex wagon and picked up this watch. Lasted the rest of BMQ, all through SQ, and day to day smashery. Not a single scratch on the face, and the strap is still as solid as the day I got it.

I've got a Suunto Core All Black w/negative display. Beautiful watch, makes a great backup to some other nav (eg. I do not carry a compass in the urban jungle), but I have to admit the most useful feature on it is the barometer. When out of the army context I turn the storm alarm on, which alerts me with an audible warning that there has been a steep drop in pressure over the last few hours, generally indicating that a storm is not far away. There are visual indicators as well which are fantastic for the army context, being present right on the main time display. It's more watch than I would normally need with some extra gadgets that I probably wont touch, but nevertheless I am very happy with it. Sure is a hell of a lot lighter than my Citizen Ecodrive Skyhawk too.

Back