• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

H

holywars33

Thinking ahead to the gear that I may need, I wondered about wristwatches. What kind would be recommended in the field for infantry types? Digital or hands? A cheapo $10 Zellers or a durable one (Omega, lol)? What do you wear?

this was discussed b4 at some point. I would go with a dark green G-Shock. I used to have one. I beat the crap out of it and it was just a little scuffed and tahts it. So i gave it away to a friend. I should have kept it. Would be good, its dark green :rolleyes:

I use a luminox dive watch and its simply the best watch ive ever used.

A good ol‘ Timex Ironman is a good bet. Like them ads say, "It takes a lickin‘ and keeps on tickin‘"

I have mine on one of them nylon wristbands, and the watch made it through some deep doo-doo.

Either the Timex or one of the Cassio sports watches worked for me (and still do). Something rugged but simple. A couple of features such as stop watch, and ability to show 2 time zones are all you need.

Save the rolex for mess kit.

Timex expidition for around $42.
It has 2 time zones, 3 alarms [Revalie (sp?), when to go on shift) and it has large easy to see numbers with an easy to hit indiglo button that is very bright and can be used as a flash light in an emergency

Digital on one wrist and analogue on the other.
Precise,never a breakdown and analogue can be used as a compass.
Any digital alarms going off in my unit and I will shoot you myself.
Just kidding but using that threat never hurt.
There is one subject in the army and one only.
TIME,TIME,TIME! It is rather important.Do not come early,do not come late.
Get a good watch.

Yeah nothing more embarrasing than spending all night lying in an ambush and then having some numpty‘s digital alarm start playing a tune just as their lead scouts come down the trail.

Old School, please teach how you can use a analogue watch as a compas? Maybe I am overanalyzing the problem, but every way that I can think, to turn the watch into a compas invloves some breaking it and tweaking it Tim Taylor style...

Rather than try to explain it, here‘s a link:

http://www.time4watches.com/Watch%20Articles/using_a_watch_as_a_compass.htm

BTW, this is a *great* method, I‘ve used it before, though it‘s horribly inacurate, it‘ll give you an idea of where the cardinal points lie.

There used to be a soldier‘s navigation aid pamphlet passed out which had this plus basic nav info (taking a bearing, roamers, resections, etc) on it. Very good info for every soldier to have...

I‘ve had the same Timex Ironman watch for 3 years. Have had to replace the strap a few times, but the watch is a godsend.

I also used just a Timex. When I did course it was fine.

Timex Ironman here, too. I‘m on my 3rd strap in 8 years. The crystal was badly scratched, so I smoothed it out with some fibre-optic polishing paper, and sprayed it with a flat lacquer.

Looking For A Watch

Here‘s the older watch thread. I got a Timex Expedition a few days ago. It looks alright, wasn‘t too expensive, and has the features I figure I‘d need.

I‘m curious about why you‘d need 2 time zones. Right now I have both my zones set at the same time, just switching between 24 hour clock and 12 hour clock. I figure it‘ll be good to start thinking in 24 time, but the switch button makes it easy to double check my horrible math.

Two time zones: Simple: The one you‘re in, and the one your wife/girlfriend/family are in. (Not to mention the one your government services are in, as they are only open from 8-4, M - F).

Just for your info, you can use a digital watch to nav with the sun. Top of the comapass is 12, bottom is 6. You‘re all smart, fill in the rest of the numbers and Bob‘s your uncle. Not the most accurate compass in the world, but if it‘s all you got...
Iron man watch is good to go. Just turn off all the freekin beeping.

Buy a good automatic watch that is water proof,has a good illuminous dial,shock proof,and no buzzer‘s or F‘n beeper‘s.

To many time‘s in the middle of a recce or other night Op.‘s have I heard someone‘s watch going off!!!!! :mad:

Depending on the pitch and tone,a beep or buzzer can be heard for quite a distance.

I‘m not in the Infantry yet, but I love my GShock. Paid $100 for it at Sears and it‘s managed to survive my 7 month, 70lb Golden Retrieve puppy‘s attentions with nary a scratch. The dog crunches through anything, so this watch has to be something special.

If you think that you can nav with a digital watch then you have a good imagination, you might as well use a rock. All you would have to do is mark in a clock face with a marker... WOW, what an idea, I should market it. The compass clock watch, it‘s amazing!!

Back