• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

For low-mid range mechanicals, I'd definitely agree that Hamilton's got some good quality there.

If you want something a bit cheaper, but still an automatic, I'd suggest Seiko 5 sports, in particular their SNGZ line. I've got one of the SNGZ09s, with the green dial. You also might want to look at the SNK809's, although personally I found them to be a little small for my taste. There's a good comparison of the two lines here.

I was wondering what the best wrist watch, for BMQ and military lifestyle in general is.  The watch has to be: relatively inexpensive (I am a student and work part time, willing to drop a couple hundred at most); something that looks presentable (I can wear in my fatigues and dress uniform); strong enough that it can stand up to the rigours of basic training and other courses. 

Any links and/or personal recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Knight13

Inexpensive to me meant a $30-$40 plastic strap watch that wasn't bulky with a timer that told the time. I wouldn't want to wear a $100-$200 watch in the mud.

Its all about the Canex special. Just go to the Canex, get one for like $30. Mine lasted me through BMQ, BIQ, 2 work up training cycles and a combat tour. I gave it to my sister when she went to BMQ and it was still working fine.

Knight13 said:
I was wondering what the best wrist watch, for BMQ and military lifestyle in general is.  The watch has to be: relatively inexpensive (I am a student and work part time, willing to drop a couple hundred at most); something that looks presentable (I can wear in my fatigues and dress uniform); strong enough that it can stand up to the rigours of basic training and other courses. 

Any links and/or personal recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Knight13

Oh dear...

I for one, use a 5.11 Sentinel for everything.
http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Accessories/Watches/Sentinel-Watch.html

HOWEVER, I do not recommend it for field use. Especially in environments with prolonged exposure to mud and water. Yes, it has a watertight sealed housing, but after 100m most watches stop functioning.

My recommendation is buy a good ol' Timex:
http://www.timex.ca/EXPEDITION-Rugged-Field-P240.aspx

This is the newer version, however my Dad still has his from the 80's still works and ticks even after a severe beating of 20 years in the Army.

the timex seems to be discontinued from the website :( , gonna have to look on amazon or something like that ....

I also was wondering what kind of watch should I use .... I do like nice big and shinny watches .... but not really made to be more then just nice looking !

Let's just say; the more expensive the watch, the more likely it is you will break it.  Do you really need that compass, heartbeat monitor, divers counter, whatever bling.......It needs to tell time accurately.  If it makes noises, it can ruin your night patrols.  If it lights up the tent, it ruins night patrols. 

krimynal said:
the timex seems to be discontinued from the website :( , gonna have to look on amazon or something like that ....

I also was wondering what kind of watch should I use .... I do like nice big and shinny watches .... but not really made to be more then just nice looking !

Try here

I'll recommend the basic Casio G-Shock in black. Mine has held up for years, including multiple exercises, tour, etc. Plus it is fairly cheap and found in most stores that carry watches. The watch does the basic stuff like tell time, date, has a timer/stop watch, can set an alarm, and you can turn off the beeps when you press a button on it.

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/casio-mens-g-shock-classic-watch/10067857?trail=SRCH%3Ag+shock&fromPLP=true&ancestorID=alldept&searchString=g+shock&startSearch=yes&fromSearchBox=true&addFacet=SRCH%3Ag+shock

http://www.amazon.ca/Casio-DW6900-1V-G-Shock-Digital-Watch/dp/B000GAYQL8/ref=sr_1_7?s=watch&ie=UTF8&qid=1375117915&sr=1-7&keywords=casio+g+shock

PrairieThunder said:
"We're sorry, but this selected item cannot be shipped to your country."

Thanks Obama/Harper/Illuminati.  :mad:

There's lots of places here to get something similar for about the same price.

I've got this one:
http://www.timex.ca/EXPEDITION-VIBRATION-ALARM-SKT49851GP-P974C166.aspx?l=e

The vibe alarm was a big selling point for me. It's nice to be able to get up for a midnight task without waking everyone up. Rugged case, good battery life, easy battery to change, multiple alarm and countdown modes. Solid watch at a moderate price.

I just picked this up at the Bay for $112:

51KQ8gC1xhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

soldout_2008_overlay_1

I'm not really into watches, but it was on sale, so I grabbed it.

Mister Donut said:
I just picked this up at the Bay for $112:

51KQ8gC1xhL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

soldout_2008_overlay_1

I'm not really into watches, but it was on sale, so I grabbed it.

... Am I the only one that thinks $112 is too much to spend on a cheap wrist watch that is just for keeping the time and maybe a stop watch?

you paid about $92 too much for a beater basic training watch.  Buy a basic POS with an alarm and illumination for basic and trades training, you can add bells and whistles later.  A $200 watch will break every bit as easily as a $20 one on an obstacle course.

VIChris said:
I've got this one:
http://www.timex.ca/EXPEDITION-VIBRATION-ALARM-SKT49851GP-P974C166.aspx?l=e

The vibe alarm was a big selling point for me. It's nice to be able to get up for a midnight task without waking everyone up. Rugged case, good battery life, easy battery to change, multiple alarm and countdown modes. Solid watch at a moderate price.

Where can you get these on Vancouver Island?

Kat Stevens said:
you paid about $92 too much for a beater basic training watch.  Buy a basic POS with an alarm and illumination for basic and trades training, you can add bells and whistles later.  A $200 watch will break every bit as easily as a $20 one on an obstacle course.

Yeah, but this watch looks way cooler than a $20 POS.  Anyway, $100 isn't worth a whole lot nowadays.  Maybe 5 boxes of .45acp tops, or a green water resistant watch.....well, I just stocked up with Canada Ammo, so I figured why the hell not on a cheap watch from the Bay.

Mister Donut said:
Yeah, but this watch looks way cooler than a $20 POS.  Anyway, $100 isn't worth a whole lot nowadays.  Maybe 5 boxes of .45acp tops, or a green water resistant watch.....well, I just stocked up with Canada Ammo, so I figured why the hell not on a cheap watch from the Bay.

If you're concerned with looking 'cool' while in basic, your priorities are seriously screwed up. My $20 POS has served me well on several ships, teaching in Saint-Jean and two goes at CFFSE. You're not here to look pretty or cool; you're here to do the job.

Back