• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wondering what BASIC TRAINING is like? Watch the video. (BASIC UP)

VidalBagot said:
been base brat all my life both parents were in for 25+ so I'm not EXACTLY new to it all...

:rofl:

My uncle was an auto mechanic for 30 years.......i know jack squat about cars.....

You kill me  kid, you realy do

VidalBagot said:
P.s.  NO I do not have EXTENSIVE experience, thats NOT what I meant, been base brat all my life both parents were in for 25+ so I'm not EXACTLY new to it all...  But yea making fun of that really put ur opinions about the PO into perspective, along with their value...

take it how you want it

Vidal

I've followed this Thread and the Set of Video's for quite some time now before commenting on/of the mentioned Instructor.

Jacking Up is almost a Art Form, this NCO does not have it. His brief exhibition suggests he's a "Bully" and a "Opportunist". His dialog is "Threatening" and "Non Productive". His physical bearing is "Un-Military and Un-Authoritive".

Every other NCO & Instructor in the Video were excellent, especially the M/Cpl with the PT Class & Female Platoon Leader.

I would suggest you gain a lot more actual Military Experience before defending or commenting on the above
subject. 

CDN Aviator said:
:rofl:

My uncle was an auto mechanic for 30 years.......i know jack squat about cars.....

You kill me  kid, you realy do

Wow man.... just wow... this is the ONLY input you can muster up? ANOTHER pointless insult? 25 years around the millitary life is alot different than ur damn uncle being a mechanic, so instead of posting ur mindless blather, maybe post some COMMENTS, not insults all the time?  You might get somewhere and may display some form of intelligence.

VidalBagot said:
25 years around the millitary life  is alot different than ur damn uncle being a mechanic, so instead of posting ur mindless blather, maybe post some COMMENTS, not insults all the time?  You might get somewhere and may display some form of intelligence.
Well, I've got to back the airforce guy in this dog fight.  ;D

Napoleon's pack mule participated extensively in every one of Bonaparte's military campaigns; being "around the military life" did not endow it with any particular expertise in those campaigns, nor would I likely to seek out that donkey's views on military leadership, instructional technique, or recruit training.

Now, if you wanted to talk about growing up in PMQs, or CDN Aviator's uncle wanted to talk automotive maintenance, or Napoleon's ass wanted to offer insights into proper load-out of a pack-mule.....then I may consider the opinion -- for those would be informed opinions.

You may have been around the military, and even be a BMQ grad, and so you have opinions....you have neither the experience nor expertise to provide informed judgement of leadership or instruction. At this stage of your career, the reality is that you must content yourself to looking at your watch whenever someone mentions "time in." Get over it, and learn from this exchange (and when responding with self-righteous indignation, choose your windmills carefully there, Don Quixote  ;) )

Oh, and you may want to re-read FastEddy's post -- he nailed it.

Jez all this replys to the basic up show and I still can't watch full episodes.  :crybaby:

AverageJoe said:
Jez all these replys to the basic up show and I still can't watch full episodes.  :crybaby:

Oops I meant to correct a spelling mistake not quote myself haha How to I delete this post?

Here's an interesting sidenote on the thread.  We passed the clip of the PO jacking around the shacks on our recent PLQ as an example of what not to do.

Holy crap!  I haven't checked this thread for a bit but look at it now.

Talk about beating a dead horse!

Yes the PO shouldn't have been leaning on the cubilce.  Yes it provided a bad example.
As some wise person asked earlier up the thread, has anyone here never made a bad decision?  Has anyone here never done anything the wrong way?  Lukcy for you there were no cameras rolling!

This is a short clip, not much to judge by.  Maybe in the previous 2 minutes he had someone's ruck dropped on his ankle and was finishing the inspection with a fractured ankle...  what would you say then?  Maybe Dumont had been getting better/worse in past inspections...  and really deserved a good yelling at.  Surely no one here is suggesting it's possible to get through basic without getting yelled at!?

Sure he shouldn't have been leaning.  That's about all we can say on it without talking out our bung holes.  Can we leave it at that please?

Captain Coffee said:
Holy crap!  I haven't checked this thread for a bit but look at it now.

Talk about beating a dead horse!

You mean like resurrecting a dead thread from over 2 months ago?  ::)

lol, I was looking at that myself, that is no way I would act in front of my cadets, I would hope there would be even more professionalism in the military. I was going to put off commenting if it weren't for the fact this thread is still alive.

On a separate note, any idea when all the episodes will be done, it's only letting me watch mini-clips, and not the full video's.

I'm wondering the same thing. those mini-clips have been out there for many months; I remember them being around during the spring.

A few points, overall.  I found the clips entertaining.  They brought back some memories.. that damn green door.  A lot of the Staff on that course put my platoon through too.  11Pl.  Some of the other staff, I work with now.  The P.O.2, the one leaning on the wall, he sure has his moments, but I'm sure a lot of us learned a lot from him, most of us were smart enough to filter the bravado cheesy image from the actual useful knowledge.  I can say that of all the staff on our course, he was the only one to sit the platoon down for an hour in our field phase to break the news to us that a soldier had been killed in Afghanistan, and helped us reflect on what we were doing there (at basic), and motivated us to believe that what we were doing was as important as it felt.  The P.O. doing the inspection in the showers, well, he definitely put on a better show for the camera, but really, he was kind of a cluster.  Same for the Mcpl from the R22er, they never really tried to pass on any knowledge or experience, just wanted to jack us up all the time.. sure their jackings weren't as loud or colourful, but they were just as meaningless.  The PO2, he took the time to tell us what he could about being deployed, getting to know the guys around you, how family might cope, and what we can do to help them.  Some of it seemed far out hearing it from a Sailor, being an Infantry Recruit, but now as I am working up for deployment, I am remembering more and more the guidance he gave us. 

BTW<  Poor ol' Dumont made it through that course, failed her P.T. and had to stay on PAT for remedial P.T. and eventually made it out of the mega.

Yeeesh, what kind of a monster have I created here?

whatever happened to "what happens on Basic, stays at Basic"?

I truly thought the videos would help new people to the site see what it's like but instead the veterans are picking apart the instructors.

You know your in the army when.... ;D

Anyways, people wanted to see some more of the episodes well naturally they have made their way on to youtube

not the full episodes but a good 18 minutes worth of them. And you might want to grab your hat and prepare to chew when you see how the PO encourages a troop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0XPc1opjuM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRurx8oDbRQ&mode=related&search=

if Dumont is a troop in my CF , the training system has failed

HFXCrow said:
if Dumont is a troop in my CF , the training system has failed

GOD ! it must be wonderful to be so perfect. and by the way its not "my" its "ours".

For anyone who's watching this thread and mised the new one, Basic Up is now available on the Army Web site.

There are nine English and six French Episodes.

www.army.gc.ca

look for their podcasts!

Wow!  Feels like I'm repeating myself here, but if you're still following this thread...

There's a trailer for Basic Up 2 on YouTube now!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHGTcUo9Nw 

Back