• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wondering what BASIC TRAINING is like? Watch the video. (BASIC UP)

career_radio-checker

Inactive
Reaction score
Well the CF has finally produced a video series which gives an inside look at what Basic training is like in Canada.
BASIC UP follows 5 recruits as they go through the Reg Force Basic training at St. Jean from the time they arrive until they graduate. Its still being produced so it's only half done but might be able to answer some of your questions the Army.ca forums can't answer,eg. "What's Basic like?"
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_10_Other.asp

As for the rest of us crusty salts who have finished basic there ain't nothing like watching someone get riped a new one by one pissed off MCpl er... uh I mean PO.
http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/1_10_5.asp

LOVE IT......................for once somebody tells like it

When I went to a recruiting center more then 10 years ago,
I was shown a video of ''summer training''. I presumed the news
ones are uptaded and more detailed then that one.

But I saw something all those years ago :), maybe not a part of a series...

Yeah, I have seen these already but I still get a kick out of them, especially the clip of the PO yelling at the Private about the faces she is making.

It will be my turn soon.. can't wait!

Well!

I just watched the first one, with the MCpl/PO and I am discusted.  It was poorly done.  The Van Doo could have done a better inspection, the student was in the way (Probably due to the Cameraman), but the biggest thing that pissed me off was the PO.  That man should be doing the pushups, (he sorely needs them) as he is a disgrace to all instructors.  Leaning up against the wall with his hand on his hip giving a student shit.  He should have had the decency and respect for the uniform, the job and the student to have stood properly and given her the blast of shit, not lean on the wall and saunter on by her when he was done.  He is in need of a good jacking himself.

Having been an Instructor at Depot, this PO was a disgrace.  His photo is deserving of New Army.ca Game (HEADLINES).

I noticed a real lack of colourful language, is that what its like at St.Jean or did they tone it down for the Camera man?

Future Unknown said:
I noticed a real lack of colourful language, is that what its like at St.Jean or did they tone it down for the Camera man?

They toned it down.

Good Lord...I'm almost embarassed at that PO scene hehe.  Poor girl.  Imagine KNOWING this was going to be used for a NATIONAL campaign? :dontpanic:

justmyalias said:
Good Lord...I'm almost embarassed at that PO scene hehe.  Poor girl.  Imagine KNOWING this was going to be used for a NATIONAL campaign? :dontpanic:

She'll get over it.  Years down the road it will be remembered with a lot of laughs.  She may even want a copy of the film.

Unfortunately, every student on that Course will look up to their superiors for guidance, and have burnt into their minds what "Leadership" is and they will remember this Plug PO. (I can't call him a PLUG as that would mean that he is a Person Learning Under Guidance, and that he is not.)  He is setting an example to his students.  They will learn all his poor mannerisms and have to be be retrained later, with some very sad results.  This film should be removed.

George Wallace said:
Unfortunately, every student on that Course will look up to their superiors for guidance, and have burnt into their minds what "Leadership" is and they will remember this Plug PO. (I can't call him a PLUG as that would mean that he is a Person Learning Under Guidance, and that he is not.)  He is setting an example to his students.  They will learn all his poor mannerisms and have to be be retrained later, with some very sad results.  This film should be removed.

People who are not used to being in front of cameras tend to act differently than they normally do.  This may explain some of his "poor" mannerisms, as you describe them.

Mithras said:
People who are not used to being in front of cameras tend to act differently than they normally do.  This may explain some of his "poor" mannerisms, as you describe them.

People who are well trained and disciplined tend to fall back on that training and discipline (doing the right thing, at the right time) in unfamiliar or different situations too though.

I would say your point is valid, however not a good enough excuse (note I didn't say reason) in this case.  He knew the came was there.  He knew it was going to be there.  I am surprised it was allowed thru onto the "final product" though.

Mud Recce Man said:
I am surprised it was allowed thru onto the "final product" though.

Well they could also be trying to make BMQ seem "friendlier" and less imposing than it really is, dumb it down for mass consumption so to speak.  I am expecting a lot worse when I go, will be disappointed if it isn't (worse).

Mithras said:
Well they could also be trying to make BMQ seem "friendlier" and less imposing than it really is, dumb it down for mass consumption so to speak.  I am expecting a lot worse when I go, will be disappointed if it isn't (worse).

Ok Hands up everyone in this thread who've actually taught on a BMQ or two or three or ten

Mud Recce
fing02[1].gif

George
fing02[1].gif

Me
fing02[1].gif

Mithras ???

Get the idea, the individual in the pic is in the wrong, no excuse. Stay in your lane.

Guys, as someone who is seriously contemplating applying to the CF, I have to ask, is this really what the CF and Basic Training is like? It looks quite lenient to me. I've heard many stories over the years from friends in the CF, and none seem to correlate in mildness to this.
Based on the posts in this thread, I'm getting the feeling that these short clips do absolutely very little, if any, justice to the training completed/instructed by those experienced folks here on this forum. Surely there must be other, more charismatic leaders that are not shown in these videos.
Perhaps these clips are much too brief for me to truly appreciate Basic Training.
Even prior to reading these posts, I perceived the body language, or lack thereof, that George Wallace described in his post re: the PO. I've met and faced some intimidating people in my short life, but this definitely would not qualify as one, IMHO...he's more like a joke to me...or an actor loving the captive audience. ( - And I'm a total, impressionable outsider looking in at this.)

If you're first impression of a Snr NCO/ instructor is this character...you might as well forget it.

99.9% are much more disciplined and adhere to dress and deportment....moreso for the Combat Arms.

Not trying to slag anyone...just an observation from a few years in and a few courses taught.

Regards

DeltaWhiskey said:
Guys, as someone who is seriously contemplating applying to the CF, I have to ask, is this really what the CF and Basic Training is like? It looks quite lenient to me. I've heard many stories over the years from friends in the CF, and none seem to correlate in mildness to this.
Based on the posts in this thread, I'm getting the feeling that these short clips do absolutely very little, if any, justice to the training completed/instructed by those experienced folks here on this forum. Surely there must be other, more charismatic leaders that are not shown in these videos.

I am currently in week 11 of the 13 week course at St Jean, and will tell you that the video clips are decent. Some show what it will really be like(the obstacle course, 5am PT, drill, kit day) while others(specifically the one with the PO) well, it is just slack. All the instructors I know of there take this job extremely seriously and do so with the upmost professionalism. They make you push beyond what you think your limit is, to your true limit. They definitely treat you better the farther in the course you are. Keep in mind that they are training the future of the CF. There are some instructors that are way more strict than others, but as long as you do what you are told, and give your 110%, then everything should go by fairly uneventfully.

BMQ is an experience that you will never forget, that I am willing to bet on!

Danjanou said:
Ok Hands up everyone in this thread who've actually taught on a BMQ or two or three or ten

Mud Recce
fing02[1].gif

George
fing02[1].gif

Me
fing02[1].gif

Mithras ???

Get the idea, the individual in the pic is in the wrong, no excuse. Stay in your lane.
Hauptmann Scharlachrot
fing02[1].gif

Instructed on two QL3s at The RCR BSL
Instructed on one 3B (res) infantry
Course officer on one 3B (res) infantry
Course officer on IODP 1.1 Infantry

I second the motion that the individual in the pic is in the wrong, sans excuse.

So is it the posture that is basically wrong?

Or is it the way he dresses down the student? Both?

Back