• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wondering what BASIC TRAINING is like? Watch the video. (BASIC UP)

This PO has to lean on wall.  If he doesn't, he'll loose his balance!  He's used to ships ;)

Seriously, the instructors I learned the most from are the quieter ones.  They will let you do, correct you a few times and if you really screw up, you're in big trouble.  They won't yell at you, but they will make sure you understand what's wrong. 

Those were the ones I was the most scared of! 

When someone yelled at me on BOTC like the PO did (we had one sgt like that on our platoon), I just switched off and answered "Yes Sgt"

Max

That second video with the PO yelling at the girl is really good. Now it could have been acted better, like he shouldent have been leaning but considering the girl is on week 6 she should stop bobbling her head around like a toy. Also by week 6 she should know the ranks, I dont blame the PO for getting mad in that way.

The PO should not have been leaning up against the wall!
The recruit should have been more respectful in her tone!
Nice to see the PO kept his words tamed, wouldn't have been the MCPLs when I went thru.  I learned new words in Cornwallis.  :D
She was definately a Numpty!!
Not bad recruit tools, could be a bit more realistic.
My 0.02    :army:

DeltaWhiskey said:
Guys, as someone who is seriously contemplating applying to the CF, I have to ask, is this really what the CF and Basic Training is like? It looks quite lenient to me. I've heard many stories over the years from friends in the CF, and none seem to correlate in mildness to this.
Based on the posts in this thread, I'm getting the feeling that these short clips do absolutely very little, if any, justice to the training completed/instructed by those experienced folks here on this forum. Surely there must be other, more charismatic leaders that are not shown in these videos.
Perhaps these clips are much too brief for me to truly appreciate Basic Training.
Even prior to reading these posts, I perceived the body language, or lack thereof, that George Wallace described in his post re: the PO. I've met and faced some intimidating people in my short life, but this definitely would not qualify as one, IMHO...he's more like a joke to me...or an actor loving the captive audience. ( - And I'm a total, impressionable outsider looking in at this.)

Oh boy!  ALL of these videos are actually off of my Basic training in St-Jean... and believe you me it was NOT fun, and until you`ve had PO Robinson (PO in the video, who is 6``something and 250lbs) screaming 2 inches from you`re face, you may not speak!  They DEFINETLY went SO easy because of the cameras, when the Vandoo MCpl is doin the inspection and he found that dirt in Weremkos boots... he barely got mad.. yep definetly went easier for the camera, btw Dumont is dumb hahahah Oh and for you people calling Robinson a plug? Wow you see a 5 minute video (hes not used to being in front of camera in first place) and you judge the man entirely on that.. "Oh he should be taken out of the CF, oh my god what a bad example" ; guaranteed hes 10x more of an example, I know from experience ;\  Some people do nothing but judge, look in the mirror.

VidalBagot said:
and until you`ve had PO Robinson (PO in the video, who is 6``something and 250lbs) screaming 2 inches from you`re face, you may not speak! 

And in your obviously extensive experience in the CF, how many people have you had stand that close and scream in your face? There's worse. And if you look at some of the experience of the people who posted here, a lot of them have more years of service than you have socks.

guaranteed hes 10x more of an example, I know from experience ;\  Some people do nothing but judge, look in the mirror.

What?? oh wait, sorry, I forgot about your extensive experience.

Ok, so he's better in person than in Camera? Fine. Well, if you know you're going to be in front of camera, you put your best foot forward. People don't see what you're like off camera, they judge what they see, THAT is the public image that represents the CF. And the image that was put across, wasn't good.

I suggest you get your back down, and provide a cooler, and much more calm argument.

silver said:
Geez guys, so it comes down to TI does it?? He may only be a recruit but he did have the advantage of actually experiencing this dudes instruction first hand.. so I dunno, I'm kind of inclined to believe him when he says the PO was very different off-camera the rest of the time. Doesn't seem to have much to do with, "My ruck's got more TI than you've got whatever.."
Granted the guy does look like a complete knob in the clip.. but what's TI got to do with this guys opinion?

In this case everything.

Go back and reread the posts of those (including mine) who called this “instructor” on his abilities whether on camera or off. It’s not just that we have TI it’s where that TI is/was. We’ve all taught and supervised courses both GMT/BMQ whatever acronym we’re calling it this month, and in some cases also taught Leadership Courses where NCO cadres are taught how, and equally importantly how not, to act in front of troops.

If this individual gets all flustered because someone shoves a video camera in his face while performing what should be fairly basic duties for his rank and position then I would call into question whether or not he’s in the right job.

:deadhorse:

I myself am just a no-hook pte, but if I'm ever in the public eye I will usually always attempt to stand up straight and to be as professional as possible. I remember whenever anyone leaned against a wall in St Jean the instructor would always yell at a recruit telling them that the wall can stand up fine by itself.

Sigs Guy never say “just” we all had to start at the same point. 

However you did nail it, lead by example is the standard, or did we stop living by that one?

Leading by example has a certain degree of personal responsibility attached to it, and it seems people just aren't interested in that kind of thing these days, pass that buck. It's easier.

Meh, all I was saying is you judge a human beings existence and all his morals by a 5 minute video clip, thats VERY unfair, oh hes a bad instructor, a bad example...  Maybe if you knew this man you might now not be saying what you said? Have you thought of that? Or has the keyboard-to-human interface gone to you're heads?  At least he had the guts to volunteer himself to be put on video in front of the rest of the country (and more),  anyway,  PO Robinson is a very good leader/instructor and a good person.  You can bash on this as much as you want, but until you've met or know the PO, why do you give non-factual opinions about a man you do not know?  Answer this question to yourself before replying to this post!  Good day.

P.s.  NO I do not have EXTENSIVE experience, thats NOT what I meant, been base brat all my life both parents were in for 25+ so I'm not EXACTLY new to it all...  But yea making fun of that really put ur opinions about the PO into perspective, along with their value...

take it how you want it

Vidal

Well in reading the posts, it sounded to me as if these people do actually know the man in question, have trained him, or trained with him, been on course with him, etc... So not based solely on a 5 minute video.

You aren't truly a leader until you have lost and you haven't truly lost until you've lost soldiers on the battlefield. I'm sure the nice PO hasn't experienced this yet in the Navy. He can yell and scream all he wants. I would still learn far more from a Master Corporal who's served on the battlefield than from a PO who's qualified to play Battleship. Not to insult his profession, but his experiences aren't as educational as someone of a lower rank in a different trade. Personally, I'd have a hard time training with someone who screams and yells to get his point across. I find it much easier to learn when I'm focussed on what the instructor is teaching rather than focussing on not getting jacked up.

Pro Patria  :salute:

Bradboy said:
a PO who's qualified to play Battleship. Not to insult his profession, but his experiences aren't as educational as someone of a lower rank in a different trade.

Sorry but by making this statement you have insulted the profession!! Until you have served on a battleship, you have no right making statements about anyone in the Navy "playing battleship".

What qualifies as a "battlefield" by the way?

I never had less respect for any of my instructors simply based on their trade or what uniform they wore.

This whole thread is disgraceful.  That NCO has now been publicly humiliated on this site with Pics of him and comments about him under said pics from self declared professional soldiers and instructors and ex instructors etc etc.  Pointing what was fundamentaly wrong with that image is one thing and some people made some valid points without resorting to insulting the man.  But...

Given that this thread has been visited by some of his former students (some of which were offended by some comments) and others that will/might get him or any of the other instructors on that video as staff, all this has done is compromise the integrity and credibility these people have.  It's one thing to have people in the know discuss it and make comments in a more discreet and private venue but to be honest some people that come here don't need to hear any of this.

Yes this is a public forum but we can still keep it professional.

Time to get off my horse now.

Crantor - you hit exactly what has been bothering me about this thread.  I also was on the course with the PO, and I find it rather distasteful to have so many people commenting on his apparent lack of leadership without actually having been there or knowing him.  I personally didn't notice any major breaches of standards myself while on course, but I was mostly keeping my head down and just trying to get through without making waves....  ;)  The only thing I would ask is this, has anyone who criticized the PO's behavior ever made a mistake in leadership themselves? 

agreeing wiht spectr and crantor. Keep this thread on track guys. On a different note. I wrote an email asking if they could up load complete episodes. They said it wasnt possible and that they would only be showing newer short clips. Guess they don't want to scare away us newbies. A little surprise would be better anyways.

*modified to change as to away

VidalBagot said:
Meh, all I was saying is you judge a human beings existence and all his morals by a 5 minute video clip, thats VERY unfair, oh hes a bad instructor, a bad example...  Maybe if you knew this man you might now not be saying what you said? Have you thought of that? Or has the keyboard-to-human interface gone to you're heads?  At least he had the guts to volunteer himself to be put on video in front of the rest of the country (and more),  anyway,  PO Robinson is a very good leader/instructor and a good person.  You can bash on this as much as you want, but until you've met or know the PO, why do you give non-factual opinions about a man you do not know?  Answer this question to yourself before replying to this post!  Good day.

P.s.  NO I do not have EXTENSIVE experience, thats NOT what I meant, been base brat all my life both parents were in for 25+ so I'm not EXACTLY new to it all...  But yea making fun of that really put ur opinions about the PO into perspective, along with their value...

take it how you want it

Vidal

I call BS.  If the only example you can set is a BAD example, stay home.

Its just as simple as that.

As a Instr at CFLRS, you should be striving to set the best foot forward at all times, ESPECIALLY if you are being filmed for "all to see".

Have you ever trained recruits before?  Or taken BMQ?

::)

Bradboy said:
You aren't truly a leaerd until you have lost and you haven't truly lost until you've lost soldiers on the battlefield. I'm sure the nice PO hasn't experienced this yet in the Navy. He can yell and scream all he wants. I would still learn far more from a Master Corporal who's served on the battlefield than from a PO who's qualified to play Battleship. Not to insult his profession, but his experiences aren't as educational as someone of a lower rank in a different trade. Personally, I'd have a hard time training with someone who screams and yells to get his point across. I find it much easier to learn when I'm focussed on what the instructor is teaching rather than focussing on not getting jacked up.

Pro Patria  :salute:

Looking at your profile, you are young and know not how offensive those words could be.  I have only this advice for you:

Remember that the "battlefield" is not the only place where people die...each of the services fights on different battlefields.  I know that, in the case of the Officer in the link below, his CO at the time, is my current CO and he "lost people" as you say.

http://www.dnd.ca/site/newsroom/view_news_e.asp?id=1466

I get your point, you feel as a soldier you would rather be trained by a "soldier".  Many a sailor feel the same way about Army NCOs I am sure.

Just some advice and perhaps a different perspective.  ;)

Back