• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO Richard Nolan RCR, WO Frank Mellish RCR, Sgt Shane Stachnik 2 CER, Pte Jonathan Cushley RCR- 03 Sep 06

Update from http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060902/nato_casualties_060903/20060903?hub=TopStories

4 Cdn. soldiers killed in major Afghan offensive
Updated Sun. Sep. 3 2006 2:21 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Four Canadian soldiers were killed and several others were wounded during a major NATO offensive against insurgents in a volatile district in southern Afghanistan on Sunday.

"I am saddened to announce that four Canadian soldiers were killed during today's operations and a number of others were wounded" in the Panjwayi district, west of Kandahar, said Canadian Brig.-Gen. David Fraser at a news conference.

"All but one of the wounded is expected to return to their duties within the next few days."

Fraser offered his condolences to the families of the victims, whose identities have not been released.

He did not specify the number that were injured, but CTV's Matt McClure said there were reports that up to nine soldiers were wounded.

Injuries to two of the soldiers, however, were reportedly light enough for them to stay on in the combat area.

An official with NATO's International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said the soldiers died when they were hit by enemy fire in fighting in Panjwaii district, west of the city of Kandahar.

"These soldiers would have either been from CFB Petawawa, part of the Royal Canadian Regiment, or from Shilo, Manitoba, as part of the second battalion of the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry," said McClure in Kandahar.

Fraser added that despite the deaths, the operation is a success.

According to ISAF, "more than 200 Taliban fighters have been killed since the beginning of operation Medusa early Saturday morning" in the Panjwayi district, said Fraser.

Further, he said more than 80 suspected Taliban fighters have been captured by the Afghan national police, and "an additional 180 insurgents were seen fleeing the district."

The major air and ground offensive -- dubbed Operation Medusa -- includes Canadian, British and American troops fighting alongside Afghan forces in Kandahar province.

The goal is to take control of the Taliban stronghold of Panjwayi, which covers an area roughly between 20 and 40 kilometres west of Kandahar city -- an area where Canadian troops have suffered casualties before, during heavy battles with Taliban insurgents.

"Despite these losses, Operation Medusa will continue,'' Fraser said. "ISAF is determined to remove the Taliban threat from this region."

Col. Fred Lewis, commander of the Canadian contingent, said he expected his troops to encounter fierce resistance from Taliban guerrillas during this mission.

"I think we're talking in the neighbourhood of hundreds" of fighters, said Lewis on Saturday. "Certainly not thousands, not tens. Might they just fade away? If they're smart, they will."

NATO said there were no reports of civilian casualties, despite the heavy bombardment in the area. However, Afghan defence officials said earlier that an uncertain number of civilians are dead after two days of fighting in the region.

A NATO statement said forces had gained ground during the operation, which was continuing Sunday.

McClure, the only reporter embedded with Canadian troops during the mission on Saturday, said commanders appeared confident during the heavy offensive.

"In the back of their minds, though, I think they knew that this was not going to be easy," said McClure.

The Taliban fighters "were well dug in, in their defensive positions in those vineyards, in the mud wall compounds and the verdant valley -- one of the rare bits of greenery you find here in Afghanistan -- and that it might come to tough house-to-house fighting, which Canadians have been trained to handle but haven't seen a lot of up until this recent tour."

He added: "As one soldier we're told said on the ground this morning shortly after the incident: 'We had our nose bloodied today."

The Canadian casualties come one day after NATO suffered heavy losses. Fourteen British soldiers were killed Saturday after a Royal Air Force Nimrod MR2 aircraft crashed about 15 kilometres west of Kandahar city.

Officials say the crash was caused by a technical problem, although the Taliban claimed its fighters shot down the plane with a Stinger missile.

The British Defence Ministry said the dead included 12 Royal Air Force personnel, a Royal Marine and an army soldier.

My thanks to the family and friends of the fallen, and to those injured as well as serving.

Extremely sad news. RIP soldiers . My deepest sympathies and condolences to your families, friends and colleagues. We will remember you.

every time a soldier dies, we all loose one of our brother/sister whom dedicated his/her life to make our planet a saver place to be. May they rest in peace, and shall we go on and carry on this task.

RIP soldiers  your sacrifice will not be forgoten

RIP soldiers. May you always be remembered for your sacrifice for our nation, and my thoughts for your family, friends, and fellow warriors.  :salute:  :cdn:  :salute:

My thoughts are with the family and friends of the 4 brave soldiers who gave their lives today. RIP
:salute:  :cdn:

Fair winds and following seas, rest well lads.    :'( :salute:

2 of the names were released just now on CBC Newsworld. I'm not 100% sure of them but it is 2 x Warrant Officers....

RIP

The names announced on CBC:

WO Frank Mellish
WO Richard Nolan

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

RIP WOs, my condolences to the comrades, loved ones and friends of our fallen and wounded.

:cdn:

WO Frank Mellish and WO Richard Francis Nolan based in Pet.  The families of the 2 others request that the names not be given at this time.
P.S.  This is from CBC TV

Updated:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2006/09/03/afghanistan-taliban.html

I thought I heard them say they were from Charles coy, anyone else hear it too?

RIP soldiers :cdn:
my condolences to the families.

A major being interviewed said that C Coy came under contact and received vehicle and personal causalities.

Please don't speculate about units involved if the information hasn't been released yet.

It has been released by Major Geoff Apthorpe that personal in C Coy of the RCR have had casualties.  I should note that in no way do I mean to imply the situations are linked.

Back