• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Charles Company's Tough Go in Panjwai

I for one want to know much more about the first day.  It has been my experience that the one of the hardest, if not the hardest operations to effect successfully is a retrograde movement under contact.  From what I can see here.  A company was ambushed, sustained casualties, formed a baseline, recovered all casualties, and then performed a retrograde movement under contact.  All while inflicting grave damage upon the enemy. 

Excepting for the casualties, this is not a bad days work.

HitorMiss said:
Maybe I have over stepped my bounds,

You.. Never.....

Kirkhill said:
I share BBJ's opinion.

+1 to Kirkhill  :D
big bad john said:
I for one want to know much more about the first day.  It has been my experience that the one of the hardest, if not the hardest operations to effect successfully is a retrograde movement under contact.  From what I can see here.  A company was ambushed, sustained casualties, formed a baseline, recovered all casualties, and then performed a retrograde movement under contact.  All while inflicting grave damage upon the enemy. 

Excepting for the casualties, this is not a bad days work.

Now... in all seriousness that is an excellent point.

To survive an ambush while being outnumbered is alone an incredible feat.  But to then
hold ground, counter attack and recover their casualties before falling back to a secure
position... all in causing incredible amounts of damage is unheard of. 

My understanding of a perfect ambush is no one walks away.  If you can take enough
time to plan out a proper ambush, no one should walk away.  So surviving one and
turning it into your advantage = mind boggling.  Huge recognition to the OC in charge.

Trinity said:
My understanding of a perfect ambush is no one walks away.  If you can take enough
time to plan out a proper ambush, no one should walk away.  So surviving one and
turning it into your advantage = mind boggling.  Huge recognition to the OC on that!!!

It was damn close to being a perfect ambush. 

All was calm when we first went in.  So calm infact, that I pulled out my camera and took some pictures of the battlefield, our positions, some ruins and compunds and even the pot fields.  Shortly after, they opened up from the same positions I was taking pictures of.

My camera is still in Afghanistan along with all of my other kit and equipment.  I'm anxious to get it back 'cause I have phenomenal pictures and video from the few days leading up to the ambush, including the "light show" the night before.

Unfortunately, I'm absolutely positive that all those pictures will be considered OpSec and I won't be able to post them.  I will, however, turn them over to the Battalion so they can use them for.. well... what ever they want.

As for the leadership on the ground; I have nothing but praise for all.  The OC of C Coy is a fantastic leader, and truely pulled us out of a potentially deadly (even more so) situation.

And to the soldiers of Charles Coy (specifically 7 & 8 platoons)... I have never in my life worked with more professional soldiers. And as this may seem like little praise coming from a reservist with only 3 weeks of a tour under his belt (thank you friendly fire), its how I feel. And I would give anything to be back with my brothers over there.

:salute: :cdn:

I came on here to see the comments posted about this article. I figured most or all would be in support of Charles Coy. Yes, it's Charles..not Charlie....that's the "movie term''  that J.Q Public would know. My husband was the LAV commander of Bravo LAV that recovered Rick Nolan and then landed in the ditch. I knew that much, because my husband is one to tell me most of what he does. Yes, he does hide things, but he needed to tell me. HE DID NOT tell me about the 2 RPG rounds that hit the LAV once it was in the ditch.
  I did not know that Frank went in to recover Rick, but knew that they were great friends, making this tragedy so much worse. My husband, and the rest of 7Platoon seem to be getting on pretty good. His section is home in 12 sleeps for leave. It will be hard to let him go back, but he has his job to do. The OC for Charles Coy is actually going back...my husband was happy to hear that today. Tells you how strongly these men believe in their mission and to carry on with their "boys"
  Thank you for all your kind words for this coy and the work they are doing! :salute: :cdn:

I know he doesn't want to worry me. He knows I read the news, come on these things way too much, and just generally involve myself more than I should. I'm not a wife that worries every time I hear something or read something. I was a wreck the day I heard about the incident. Didn't help I was at work!  The fact that Rick was hubby's WO and Rick was the last person I spoke to on Aug. 8, didn't help. After I spoke to hubby...I was fine. Even okay after he called 3 weeks ago to tell me about shrapenal wounds he recieved.

Thanks!! :salute:

Back