• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WO. Roberge 2 IRC, Sgt. Kruse 2 CER - Four Wounded: 28 Dec 08

OldSolduer said:
RIP troops.

You have done your duty, now we will do ours. :salute: :cdn:
Wierd, I just wrote those same words in another thread.  Seems we are of the same "old school"
Rest Troops, stand down.    :salute:
:cdn:

Deepest sympathies to the families and friends of our brave fallen. Rest now boys. to the wounded, get well soon. Ubique

Another very sad day.  They are happening way too often. 

My heart goes out to both families.

RIP
Thank you  :cdn:

I found this picture of Sgt Kruse and his daughter and thought I would post it.  He was a longtime friend of my husband. 
He says this is the Greg he knew.  A really great guy.

I had the honour of being at their ramp ceremonies last night to send these proud soldiers home.

I found out after I had been in Mirage with WO Roberge.

RIP Guys

Ouch!
Having crossed over Infantry to Engineers, I've had the honour to meet & work with both
A very BIG loss.

You've done us proud more often than I can think of....Rest in peace my friends.

At the going down of the sun,
And in the morn,
we will remember them!

Je me souviens!
CHIMO!

RIP Sgt Kruse, you were a great instructor, and a great supervisor, I learned a lot working under you

CHIMO

I too was fortunate enough to know WO Roberge as our units worked closely on numerous occassions in the reserve world. A great man and truly larger than life, he was a legend around the armouries of Northern Ontario. Last time I saw him we were having a beer at Fort Grayling in Michigan while down there on an EX for a week. Quite the guy and one hell of a soldier...a terrible loss indeed.

Media Advisory
Our Fallen Soldiers Return Home
LFCA MA 08-020 - December 30, 2008

OTTAWA – Our fallen soldiers, Private Michael Freeman, Sergeant Gregory John Kruse and Warrant Officer Gaetan Roberge, will return home to Canada on Tuesday, December 30, 2008.

Where:  8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.

When:  Tuesday, December 30, 2008 at 2:00 p.m.

What:    At the wishes of the families, media will not be permitted on the tarmac.

Present to pay their respects will be Her Excellency The Governor General of Canada, The Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Minister of National Defence, The Honourable Peter MacKay, Chief of Defence Staff, General Walt Natynczyk and other dignitaries.

Private Freeman of 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment, based at CFB Petawawa, Ontario, was killed and three other Canadian soldiers were injured when their armoured vehicle was struck by an explosion in Zharey District about 12:45 p.m. Kandahar time, December 26, 2008.

Sergeant Kruse, of  2 Combat Engineer Regiment based at CFB Petawawa, Ontario and Warrant Officer Roberge of  the Royal 22nd Regiment and attached to 2nd Battalion, The Irish Regiment of Canada in Sudbury, Ontario, were killed, as well as one member of the Afghan National Police and one Afghan interpreter and four other Canadian soldiers and one Afghan interpreter were injured when an explosive device detonated in their vicinity in the Panjwayi District at about 12:15 p.m. local time, approximately 25 kilometres west of Kandahar City on December 27, 2008.

-30-

Note to Editors/News Directors:

Interested media may contact Lieutenant Annie Morin, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer, who can be reached at (613) 243-7330.

For general queries, please contact the Media Liaison Office at (866) 377-0811, or on weekends 613-792-2973. For flight information, please contact the Air Passenger Terminal at 1-800-487-1186.

Disclaimer:

Information is accurate as of time of posting.

NS

Obituary for Sgt. Gregory Kruse

Kruse

Sgt. Gregory John 2 CER

CFB Petawawa

While serving his Country in Afghanistan on Saturday December 27, 2008 at the age of 40 years. Sgt. Greg Kruse of Pembroke, beloved husband of Jill Kruse (nee Little). Dearly loved father of Kari, Victoria and Meghan. Dear son of Penelope Kruse of New Westminster BC and formerly of Gaspé PQ and the late Christian Alfred (Teddy) Kruse. Greg is survived by his brothers Christian Kruse and Timothy Kruse (Simone). Son-in-law of Anne Little of Miramichi NB and the late Douglas Little. Brother-in-law of James, David, Doug, Joe, Darrell, Kevin, Veronica, Mary and Marjorie. Greg will be sadly missed by all his aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and cousins. Relatives and Friends may call the the MURPHY FUNERAL HOME, 296 Isabella Street, Pembroke on Sunday 7 - 9 p.m. A Funeral Mass with Military Honours will be celebrated on Monday January 5TH at 11 o’clock in St. Francis of Assisi Chapel, CFB Petawawa. Interment in Beechwood National Military Cemetery, Ottawa on Tuesday January 6 at 2 p.m. In memory of Greg, donations to NB Right to Life, The Fallen Heroes Memorial Fund or The Wounded Warriors Fund would be appreciated by the family.

:salute:
RIP brothers.

Thanks NFLD Sapper for the info.

I don't know about the rest of you but I always take comfort in the words of CWO Duguid (RSM of 2 CER a while back, paraphrased): Better to die fighting than from an accident or disease.

CHIMO!

Funeral for slain soldier Monday
Date Published | Jan. 2, 2009
Sudbury Northern Life Reporter Bill Bradley

The funeral for slain soldier Warrant Officer Gaétan Roberge will take place Monday at 11 a.m. at St. Jean de Brebeuf Church, 26 Kathleen St. with Mass at 11 a.m.

The body will rest at the Lougheed Funeral Home, 252 Regent St. at Hazel St., Sunday from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., said Lougheed officials.

In lieu of flowers, contributions can be made to Roberge's children's bursary fund.

The 45 year old veteran soldier, a member of the 2nd Battalion Irish Regiment of Canada, was killed in Afghanistan in a roadside blast last Saturday. He was patrolling with members of the Afghan National Police.

He is survived by his parents, his wife, two children and two step-children.

Interment will be in the field of honour at the civic cemetary.

Sudbury showed respect to true hero
Letter to the editor, Sudbury Star, 16 Jan 09
Letter link

Citizens of Sudbury, you are amazing!

You have no idea how much your love and support has meant to the Roberge family.

I have been with Gaetan Roberge's parents Guy and Claudette, his daughter Natasha, son Francis, sister Chantal and many more family members since the moment they found out about the tragic loss of Gaetan Roberge in Afghanistan.

The City of Greater Sudbury has shown love in so many ways by lowering flags to half-mast and people standing in freezing weather to welcome Gaetan back home.

Thank you to the Holiday Inn staff members for their extreme generosity to the family and friends who were staying there.

The family and I were also deeply touched by all the people who showed their respect for Gaetan by lining the sidewalks holding flags and signs they had made.

From the Lougheed Funeral Home to St. Jean de Brebeuf Church and from the church to the graveyard, all the people that stopped got out of their cars to either salute or held their hands over their hearts until we all drove by.

It was extremely touching and we would like to thank you for all the love and respect you showed to a true hero we lost in Gaetan Roberge.

Rest well my friend, you will never be forgotten.

Kim LeBlanc Sudbury

Link to Statement in the House of Commons by MP Glenn Thibeault (Sudbury, NDP), 4 Feb 09
Mr. Speaker, Warrant Officer Gaétan Roberge served his country for 28 years. He was known as a soldier's soldier. Roberge showed this quality in his final days when he returned early from a three day break to help his fellow soldiers. It was on that day, December 27, 2008, that Gaétan was killed when his vehicle struck a roadside bomb just outside of Kandahar City.  Gaétan was a soldier in the 2nd Battalion of the Irish Regiment of Canada based out of Sudbury.  His Lieutenant Colonel John Valtonen had this to say about Roberge, “He was the embodiment of a proud, professional Canadian soldier”.  Roberge was not just an exemplary soldier, he was a loving son, dedicated father, caring husband and a fun loving brother. As his father says, “an all around great man”. Gaétan was known to be quick to help and lend a hand. He was a family man through and through and enjoyed skating with his family and taking his children to hockey games.  His service to our community and country will not be forgotten. May he rest in peace.

Not sure why I picked tonight to remember WO Roberge, but I have. Actually, rarely a day goes by that I don't think of him and the short time I knew him. He was an exceptional NCO and quite frankly he was intimidating! Nonetheless, I loved working with him and will be forever grateful for his leadership and sacrifice.

ADH

"Razorback 6"

Back