• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Not The Legion?

Getting back to commenting on the thread title......As I remember messes have struggled for years to get servicemembers  to frequent the mess. But after work hours or mess occasions few attend. Family obligations, personal preference or whatever mess attendance is always a challenge for the PMC.
My guess is the same habit carries over when you get out. Those who like to drink at the mess/Legion do, and those who didn't frequent the mess don't frequent the Legion.
As you may have guessed I am in the latter group.  :)

TCBF said:
- If you went down under for the money: a merc. 
- If you went down for Bondi Beach, on the other hand...

But, I know for sure you went to Australia because you thought the gun control laws in Canada were too weak.

8)

I come here for the white pointers on Bondi Beach and the vegemite sangers, of course all washed down with XXXX(at the time a la 1995 'twas VB) or Bundy n Coke, oh and we cannot forget lamingtons for dessert. All dinki-di of course, ha! ;D

EDIT, Gun control!! I am still waiting for a 'permit to acquire' for my Martini-Enfiled .303 Cav carbine, yes a permit to pick it up, takes about 2 wks.

To comment on the title of this thread...
I was an ordinary member for a few years but here in Windsor, Ontario I was never really made to feel welcome in Legion branches.  I was "only a peacekeeping vet".  I saw associates treated better than serving members of the military so why would any of us want to join?  There is even a Legion down here that had a couple of guns outside but they were donated to a museum because the guns were "too military" for the people running the Legion Branch.  I agree with the aims but somewhere down the line I think they lost the vision.  Now that all of the WW2 vets are dying off, the Legion doesn't have the membership base and many branches are closing.  If they had embraced the people who served this country after WW2 then they wouldn't be in the situation that they're in now.  There wouldn't have been a need to form a Korea Vets Association or a Peacekeeping Vets Association or a Viet Nam Vets Association because we would have felt welcome in the Royal Canadian Legion branches all across this country.  I was looking at the Legion magazine at the PRT the other day and saw that the national leadership for the Legion only has two people on the board that have served overseas in the military.  I don't know if the VFW in the States has this problem but I've always heard that a WW2 vet will sit down with a Korea and Viet Nam vet and that they treat each other as equal brothers, all having served their country.  Too bad I never felt this at our RCL branches.
I hope that this is not the norm across Canada.  I will always buy a poppy (usually several) every year but I don't think I'll ever buy another membership in the Legion.

Knowing  Another Recce Guy personally I can only second his comments. He is really accurate when he says the Legion has lost its point of aim. It seems now a days that the Legion is mainly aimed at being a social club only for the benefit of itself. Mind you a lot of charity work wouldn't get done except for the Legion and I have nothing but praise for my Legion Pension Representative.but the Legion seems to have turned its face away from the serving soldier and the vet who has served. IMHO I seem to see a bias developing towards Associate"s wants and needs.Hopefully I am wrong, but this is the way I personally see it at this time.

tango22a

P.S.: Kudos to John for telling like it is!

Another Recce Guy said:
To comment on the title of this thread...
I was an ordinary member for a few years but here in Windsor, Ontario I was never really made to feel welcome in Legion branches.  I was "only a peacekeeping vet".  I saw associates treated better than serving members of the military so why would any of us want to join?  There is even a Legion down here that had a couple of guns outside but they were donated to a museum because the guns were "too military" for the people running the Legion Branch.  I agree with the aims but somewhere down the line I think they lost the vision.  Now that all of the WW2 vets are dying off, the Legion doesn't have the membership base and many branches are closing.  If they had embraced the people who served this country after WW2 then they wouldn't be in the situation that they're in now.  There wouldn't have been a need to form a Korea Vets Association or a Peacekeeping Vets Association or a Viet Nam Vets Association because we would have felt welcome in the Royal Canadian Legion branches all across this country.  I was looking at the Legion magazine at the PRT the other day and saw that the national leadership for the Legion only has two people on the board that have served overseas in the military.  I don't know if the VFW in the States has this problem but I've always heard that a WW2 vet will sit down with a Korea and Viet Nam vet and that they treat each other as equal brothers, all having served their country.  Too bad I never felt this at our RCL branches.
I hope that this is not the norm across Canada.  I will always buy a poppy (usually several) every year but I don't think I'll ever buy another membership in the Legion.

ARG,

Well put.  In particular, I agree that it has most likely been the Legion's general indifference to those ex-service members since Korea that has contributed to the rise of so many smaller veteran's groups based on service experiences since the early 50s.  Sadly, that trend only serves to weaken the collective voice of the Veteran across the country.  The RCL may be achieving good works of a general nature, but if any serving or retired soldier can't walk through the door of any Legion and feel welcomed, then the question needs to be asked"  "Who, exactly, are they there for?"

Mike

I have NEVER walked into a Legion and not felt welcome, mind you, an area can't speak for is Windsor.

Sometimes though, I think we expect too much........all I want is a drink, a few nods, another drink, and off I go.
If I wanted social time, I would've brought a friend.

Gentlemen:

Maybe I am expecting too much. I wasn't born,raised or schooled at my location so automatically am outsider to be shunned. The majority of the membership ARE Associates so again "low man on totem pole" I may not have the world's most pleasing personality but I do take the trouble to treat people as I would like to be treated until they try to bad-mouth me. This is not the only Branch where this occurs since I have seen it in other places also.I did my time mainly in the Reserve and wear my CD with pride.Members of my family have served and continue to serve both in Canada and overseas and one of my sons expects to go on Roto 1 in 2010.

I only remain a member to twist the tails of a certain few, e.g.: "sorry boys you're stuck with me for another year!" There are some really fine people in the Branch, it's just those few who spoil it.

tango22a

P.S.: Bruce, you shouldn't have to take a friend...You should be welcomed by the Branch,

tango22a said:
There are some really fine people in the Branch, it's just those few who spoil it.

Just like any organization, 2% will probably be absolute morons because 2% of humans are absolute morons....

Our local legion is a nice, chatty place that puts on all sorts of community events. The reception after the remembrance ceremony yesterday was typical. I talked to some of the troops from Petawawa who were part of the parade and they were impressed by the friendly reception and the food. It also is small enough that most everybody knows everybody else. There was a lot of pride expressed for our local Hong Kong vet who was unable to lay a wreath yesterday although he was there in his wheelchair; his grandkids did it for him.

Having said that, I am not a joiner for the sake of joining, but do support their activities. Bruce, they probably would serve you, even if you didn't have a friend in the world.

Bruce:

Sorry,  guess I was born a boat-rocker!

Cheers,

tango22a

Old Sweat said:
Having said that, I am not a joiner for the sake of joining, but do support their activities. Bruce, they probably would serve you, even if you didn't have a friend in the world.

No they wouldn't, I still belong to Merrickville branch.... ;D

tango22a said:
Bruce:

Sorry,  guess I was born a boat-rocker!

Cheers,

tango22a

Which is fine, if the people there now are acting like idiots, by all means, rock em.

The Merrickville Branch just managed to get itself out of a huge pile of crapoola. The story is a little murky but the local media in September reported that the council had authorized the swap of the 25-pounder which was somewhat run down at the village's war memorial to a museum for an war trophy gun. Some legion members, the historical society and the RCA all went ballistic and people began the blame game. Short story: the 25-pounder re-appeared a couple of days before Remembrance Day all nicely refurbished and was back at the memorial for the service. I doubt that the real story will ever come out, and frankly I don't care to bother digging for it.

That gun was a shame, I had already started sending feelers out to try and get it fixed up when we got the call to move again......

I'm glad its been done up, must visit at Christmas.[while frequenting the Goose and Gridiron of course]

Don't forget O'Heaphy's Irish Pub in Kemptville.

PM inbound with the dark and dirty re the 25-pounder.

Meanwhile talking about national Vet's associations, here is the Australian one. http://www.rsl.org.au/

It is a thriving live entity for all vets, serving and former ADF members. Years ago the RSL seen its own demise on the cards, with WW1 Vets dying off, and the WW2 and VN Vets catching up, and acted to save it. Now, and being honest, I have never seen a poor club. All appear to do well within ther own communities. Maybe the RCL could learn something, but it may be too late from some Canadian Branches. Even in centres like Saskatoon, Regina, and Weyburn, these prairie clubs barely exist of what they once were not so long ago. Canadian clubs too should shead their arrogance WRT politics, or the new generation of Vets/soldiers will give them wide berth.

I think some national action must be taken.

Here is my local RSL on the island I live www.bribiersl.com.au , with a population of about 16,000. Our club has won best RSL in Queensland more than once! Navigate around and have a look, also please haev a look in detail of the national website.

I have been an RSL member since 1995, and I have alawys been welcomed no matter where I go.

Regards,

OWDU

- Some of your 'Member's Benefits' look interesting.  Diggers Bottle Shop offering a bottle of wine for $3.25, for example!

Back