• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Not The Legion?

wotan

Inactive
Reaction score
  Not only am I a currently serving soldier (19 yrs Reg F, 2 yrs P Res prior to that), I am also a member of the Royal Canadian Legion and the Secretary of my Branch.  One of the questions I am asked by some of the "more mature" vets is why currently serving members are not more interested in joining the Legion.

Now understand, I am well aware of the op tempo of the Army with field deployments, tours, trades training, incremental taskings, etc, etc, etc, ad infinitum, ad nauseum.  Time at home is precious to today's soldier and volunteering at the local Legion would just cut into time with family.  You will get no argument on that point from me.  But are there other reasons that the Legion isn't as attractive as it could be to currently serving soldiers?  What could the Legion do to make it more attractive?

I know, I could ask the troops at my unit (and I have), but I figure since this forum is basically anonymous, folks might be a bit more forthcoming.

Thanks in advance to any that may respond, I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your insight.  Best to all.  Cheers.

If many of the young guys today don't even want to use the Mess, or learn of its traditions, I am sure many of them feel even less compelled to join the Legion.  That "9 to 5" attitude has crept into the CF and many want nothing to do with the military once they knock off work for the day.  Sadly, that is probably the root of the problem.

George Wallace said:
If many of the young guys today don't even want to use the Mess, or learn of its traditions, I am sure many of them feel even less compelled to join the Legion.   That "9 to 5" attitude has crept into the CF and many want nothing to do with the military once they knock off work for the day.   Sadly, that is probably the root of the problem.

Ironically, I've just stumbled across a situation that's the exact opposite ... !
Troops are joining the local Legion, rather than frequenting the messes ... !!
I'm told it has something to do with the Legion being open better hours than the messes, and a more welcoming atmosphere (plus, the older vets love to meet the "New Breed").
On the other hand, the messes are labouring under the yoke of the "Personnel Support Agency" (ha!  Reminds me of "Mordak, the Preventer of Knowledge" ...) - I'm amazed at how many non-supportive PSA employees I've run across - when I'm CDS, I'm going to fire quite a few people ... and replace them with folks who actually care ... but, I digress ...

Quote,
If many of the young guys today don't even want to use the Mess, or learn of its traditions, I am sure many of them feel even less compelled to join the Legion.  That "9 to 5" attitude has crept into the CF and many want nothing to do with the military once they knock off work for the day.  Sadly, that is probably the root of the problem.

George,
Thats it in a nutshell as that was me 25 years ago. However I don't think that it is so much the 9 to 5 thing as I had 3 much more important things on my mind,.... women, sports and good clean drinking. This didn't leave time for the legion/mess thing.
Fact is I still like doing all those things but nowadays they don't take near as long  :crybaby:so I have more time for the [in my case] Legion.

Personally I will join the Legion once I retire from the military. To join prior is almost like going to the  mess, which as a family man is not something I like to do very often.

Well, for me I was a member of the Victory Branch in London Ontario a few year's ago... But now, with the new smoking by-law.. Tis okay I will stay at home where I can smoke while i am having a beer... And going outside in the winter to have a smoke just sucks royally...

Same as coffee shops.. I used to go to one that tried for the longest time to remain open for smoker's.. but once the smoking by-law came into effect for it,  the store.. within 3 months, closed it door's cause it had lost to many customer's and couldn't carry on...

As a young member of Br.83 South Burnaby I have long noted that there was effectively no recruiting conducted by individual branches. As a result, Branches in Vancouver and area are in desperate need for numbers. When I first became involved, there were so many existing members accustomed to their own kind (Korea or WW2 vets) that recruitment was not seen as necessary.

In order to improve the situation, the RCL must accept new members with alot less red tape. Any requirements of military involvement should be removed in order to facilitate membership from interested parties with no formal connection to the forces or the RCMP. As Branch sizes have diminished, there has been a corresponding decrease in activities particularily in the area of scholarships and community events.

The RCL for a long time has been remiss in publicizing their efforts and as such their public profile is virtually non-existent. As a member of a pipe band involved with the branch, we have moved away from public events and more towards in house performance. While it is good to see the old folks faces light up as the pipes strike up, it is also important to be seen in the community by the people who may one day replace the current crop that is soon to die out.

My suggestions would include:
1) Free one year membership to any and all applicants with a connection to the forces. The 30 bucks lost would be quickly recouped as numbers in the branch would mean more booze sales.

2) All branches should be directed to accept any guests at the very least for the weekends. For example, as most branches no longer require signing in why bother keeping up pretenses especially if it means customers to support the bar.

3) Cadet units supported by local legions should encourage ex-members to join in recognition of the support they have received. A hal doesn't come cheap and the kids should be told that.

4) This is a contentious point, but consolidation of existing branches should be put on the table as opposed to letting a branch or Unit (ANAF) die is simply unacceptable. For example, Br. 48 on Joyce at Kingsway closed with little fanfare leaving  a valuable building in the hands of Dominion command with little regard for propping up other locations still in a viable economic condition. the liquor licence alone is worth conservatively six figures and that money alone would work miracles.

5) There should be a resuscitation of legacies like scholarships and community grants to ensure that the great work of the RCL is not forgotten.

6) There should be less reliance on central administraton as the boys in command don't really keep an ear to the ground. Local commands should have full authority over matters related to day to day affairs.

7) With regards to Armymedic's comment, the RCL has gone through many phases but strong in my memory are the Christmas parties, BBQ's, fairs and track meets all of which are very much family affairs but were only stopped as the numbers dropped.

8) My grandfathers branch in Laval is a good example of a small branch doing good work. The meals on wheels program and the toys they make for kids each christmas have impact on their community but that effort is largely unrecognized. My cousin was buried last year in the only hall in his hometown... surprise, surprise it was a legion. these contributions must be recognised at higher levels of government and from time to time it can reap reward. The newly resurrected Branch 2 in New Westminster is a great example of lobbying of local government to find concessions  that keep the RCL kicking. Although their position may be tenuous, with a little support from the public thay may turn things around.

The RCL has done as much for people as the Shriners or the Lions club but their humility has impeded full recognition of their good deeds. Anyone who has an interest in their community should join the Legion or any other service club for that matter. Unfortunately, most people are unwilling to commit even a nominal amount of time to a good cause. Volunteering is down across Canada, and until there is recognition from government to encourage more effort little is going to happen.

In my opinion a Legion or other service club should be allowed to forgo taxes in lieu of the support that is given to their respective communities. A tax credit to volunteers would be an adequate solution as the time we give is precious, more so given the lack of effort from the rest of the population that will gladly take what is offered but give nothing in return.

I say volunteer, join up, hell just stop in for a pint. Show the guys and gals (can't forget the Ladies Auxilliaries) that you care and want to see their good work continue. Throw a couple bucks in the can the next time you buy a poppy knowing full well that your contribution will not go in vain. Lets hope for more constructive comments from the people out there....

Lest we forget

I'd like to thank each of you for taking the time to respond to my query.  The info and viewpoints you have each provided are definitely insightful and will hopefully help my Branch (and others, with any luck) to attract more members. 

While things like smoking by-laws have contributed to a drop in numbers at some Branches, my Branch in specific isn't affected as we are in a small town and the Mayor is adverse to being lynched. :)

And, just for info, the Legion does allow folks with no connection to join up.  They are listed as Non-Voting Associate Members and after two years of service, they can, if they choose, assume full Associate Member status including the right to then vote at Branch, Zone and Provincial meetings.

Anyway, thank you all very much.  Your time and effort is truly appreciated.  Cheers.

Well there was one legion's website I went to .. they had a smoking partition showing on this page, to get them as a place where people could smoke.. Due to the one fact it wasn't a public place, it was how do I describe it.. Like a union hall I guess, where everyone there is a member sorta speak... and as such, shouldn't be restricted as like the local bar's... But I can't find the page anymore to see what the actual out come is/was as if they could get smoking re-enstated....

But ya here in London there have been a few algamations that have happened... for some hall's that weren't able to maintain themselves..

Not that long ago, the Australia RSL's were in the same sorry state the Cdn RCLs are. They changed policy and regualtions and have been re-born. Try www.cronullarsl.com.au and this is just one example.

In 2004, I seen the sorry state the Regina branch of the RCL is in. It has not even had a coat of paint in 30yrs, and the bewt rooms like the Normandy Lounge, the Vimy Room, the Lancaster Lounge are in a sorry state. Run down and wore out. Pretty sad, and the club is expected to close its doors sooner than later.   It has such good potential. Time for the RCL to accept the changes of today's society, and come on line with reality, and learn from other commonwealth countries.

It's not too late to save this excellent organisation.

Face it the WW2 Vets are in their 80's now, and its time to pass the torch to the next generation of Cdn Vets. Be proactive, and voice your opinion to your Branch before its too late.

Cheers,

Wes,
Servce Member of the RSL of Australia

here is two other sites, the national RSL at www.rsl.org.au (go have a look a this please) and my current club on Bribie Island www.bribiersl.com.au it should be noted that the Bribie Island RSL branch services a small community of about 17,000 people. We don't even have a set of traffic lights, and look how the Branch is prospering.

Cheers,

Wes

A lot has happened in the last year and a half (since the last post on this thread)-a lot of media attention on the troops in Afghanistan-many tragedies. This most recent Remembrance Day was very poignant - and hit home sharply because of the many CF casualties.

Do you think recent events have raised awareness enough that more people will begin to commit to the Legion?  The need for an organization that supports veterans and is dedicated to remembrance? 

Has anyone noticed more CF personnel-or anyone for that matter-joining? Any renewed interest?

I'm in the midst of the application process and have been researching a bit for other purposes.  I came across this somewhat obscure but current piece which struck me as significant in some ways.  http://www.mala.bc.ca/incline/legion.html

Saddest part about it for me was the following quote from the RCL national director of membership, Karen Mackarous- "Many of the veterans say they started the Legion, and it should die when they die," she notes. "In some areas there's difficulty in getting them to turn over the responsibility. They don't think just anyone can do it."

Can the older vets have confidence in us to carry the torch?  Can they feel comfortable in handing over their responsibilities and legacy to us?

Lots of questions to revive this old thread-from someone worried about the future of the RCL.

Well,

Think about it.  You are on a form of a legion.

What is the basic concept of the legion?  Is it not for People of the Military to gather together?  Those that are veterans, those that serve, and even those that wish to join?  A place to reminisce and pay homage to our warriors?

We have it here.  Mike Bobbit has provided the legion of the 21st century, if you will.

I believe that the legion could remain strong, as this site proves that the Canadian interest is there, if however it evolves with the times.  Maybe the legion must do the same, and adopt to the needs and likes of us modern Veterans, so that they may better be able to accept any new influx of members that they seek.

dileas

tess

Hear Hear!  I agree - maybe modernization and evolution is what the Legion needs to do to save itself. 

I know the leigon in Red Deer has (or had) an apartment complex that they rented out to vets cheap and now due to lack of funds they are at risk of having to sell it and chances are that who ever buys it will not be so generous to the vets living there and will end up uping the rent (I will try to find a link to the news story I read this in a while ago)

Okay,

I pose this question, when was the last time a representative of the legion, showed up at the regiment or unit you belonged, outside of November 11th?

I mean, it works both ways.  We must realize that we, are the new veterans.  And this is an association dedicated us.   Why is it that they do not seek us, as opposed a veteran having to be searching for the legion.

Chew that thought.

dileas

tess

+1 to Tess

Well, I'm tempted to stir the pot a bit...

Perhaps one of the problems is indicated with the quote from battleaxe above:

"Many of the veterans say they started the Legion, and it should die when they die,"

In a number of Legions I've been in, there's been a sense (and it's just that) that if you weren't in WW II, your service isn't on a par with the "real" vets.  I had a discussion with a very senior member of the Korean Vets Association, who said he'd felt much the same and that he'd have nothing to do with the Legion as a result.  Moreover, the Legion hasn't done itself any favours through ill-placed controversies such as opposing smoking bans and turbans in branches.  Unfortunate, but there it is.

That may be changing as the old guard dies off and are replaced by a plethora of associates (not to mention an ordinary membership meeting an increasingly very broad criteria).  Personally, I admire the Legion's advocacy and support for the CF, but the social side isn't that attractive to me.  They are making an effort, but will it be enough?

FWIW...

Oh, one last thing.  The RCL was founded by veterans of the First World War...

Most soldiers in my unit are single males with plenty of disposable income and lives centered on the pursuit of women.

No girls at the Legion = no troops at the legion.

Hanging out with the vets is interesting, I've never regretted it, but our society is moving away from pastimes that involve sitting in a bar with few other activities (darts, shuffleboard) and drinking. There are so many other productive things one could be doing (see first sentance)

When I was a little younger, I found the Legion a useful place for "priming", as the JRC closed early and was zealously patrolled by staff who disliked music, laughter and fun, and an outer cordon of MPs to complete the experience.

In Edmonton, there is a Legion a block off of Whyte Ave - but all there is to do there is drink. If that organisation is to survive, it will have to change with the times to increase it's appeal for the next generation of soldiers.

GO,

You nailed it.  The legion was guaged toward the fellas after the war (as Micheal O said the first) maybe it is time to fire it up for the lads now.

dileas

tess

I'm just wondering if its also because of the competition amongst veteran organizations that is actually hurting all the organizations? ANAVETS and the RCL as an example

Back