• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Why Not The Legion?

I am a member of a rural Legion Branch. Unfortunately I wasn't born here so that is "three strikes ...yer out!"  There seems to be a group of people here who feel that the Branch should be run only for their benefit and they take turns on the Executive. I used to hear people b***h because the same people were required to volunteer all the time. But when I offered to help out I was told that I was not needed. After the function was over the same people were B******g that they were the only ones doing any work! Needless to say I stopped offering to help. I still go in two or three times a month, even if I do get bad-mouthed by some as having an attitude problem as I won't let some people who have never worn a uniform other than that of the RCL run rough-shod over me.

When I renew my membership each year I make a point of letting certain people know that "I'm sorry but you guys are stuck with me for another year"

tango22a

I've been a Legion Member for over a decade and being posted from base to base does not lend itself to getting comfortable.

It seems that as soon as you start getting that "I'm home" feeling you have to pick up and start all over again.

Now onto membership. Jordan pretty much summed it up...younger troops have only one thing on the go.

I've asked a few of the troops now serving in theater if they are going to join up in the RCL to which they continuosly say "But I'm not a vet". I've told them the bennifits of being a member and I think we have a few who are looking to join upon re-deployment.

The lack of advertising/ recruiting on the RCL's behalf is only hurting themselves. What they should be doing is recruiting in St Jean and at all the deployment briefings. Let the troops know what the Legion can do for them and what it does for vets and I'm sure that the numbers will increase within a year.

Regards

When I renew my membership each year I make a point of letting certain people know that "I'm sorry but you guys are stuck with me for another year"
;D

on another note;
I was a member while I was serving at Branch #9 in Kingston. Supposedly the biggest branch.
It had three different levels that were regularly used and they welcomed serving personnel and guest; each level had its own feel. The top was a fairly modern (mid 80's when I was there) cocktail bar; middle was a big a** dance floor and then the bar where the daily attendance seated themselves. The place was used for all kinds of functions and a lot of the people from the base used to go there.
It was a great place to go. But then the building costs escalated and they had to close.

My point is that the formula they had worked well - a bit of something for everyone. 

A couple of decades ago, back in Canada making a living, I considered joining the Legion.

Learning that I had served in the USMC as a Canadian, I was ignorantly told that the Legion did not want nor need mercenaries.....I have never stepped foot in one since, nor will I in the future....

(ps: that was not just the local's opinion....that was the National's opinion....)

http://legion.ca/BB_08/08-010.htm

As you all know The Royal Canadian Legion recently completed negotiations with the Department of National Defence regarding the offer of a one year free membership to newly retired military personnel.  The program was set up in order to attract new members to join our organization and increase our Ordinary members. The first free membership was presented in June by Comrade Erl Kish at the Naval Officers Mess in Ottawa, ON.

Newly retiring military members since June 2008 are being offered a one year free membership in the Royal Canadian Legion in a branch set up here at Dominion Command. This offer of a free one year membership is included in the retirement packages of newly retired military personnel only and is not available through any other source.

25th year of continuous service and when I saw what they did for my Father when he was sick and what they do for my Mother [ offer of walkers, seniors info, etc] I truly believe that it is a great organization.

...and just like any organization sometimes stupid things can happen.

military granny said:
Newly retiring military members since June 2008 are being offered a one year free membership in the Royal Canadian Legion in a branch set up here at Dominion Command. This offer of a free one year membership is included in the retirement packages of newly retired military personnel only and is not available through any other source.

Interesting, I retired in September this year and didn't see anything from the Legion in my packages.

I will pull back my first post. Mike and just say:

But the RCL offer was for "Active Service" membrers. So Primary Reserve members who hold enough time might not be counted or may not be considered in the offer.

kratz said:
I will pull back my first post. Mike and just say:

But the RCL offer was for "Active Service" membrers. So Primary Reserve members who hold enough time might not be counted or may not be considered in the offer.

You do realize that Mr. O'Leary retired from either 1st, 2nd or 3rd BN THE RCR (Can't remember which one)

NFLD Sapper said:
You do realize that Mr. O'Leary retired from either 1st, 2nd or 3rd BN THE RCR (Can't remember which one)

After 26 years Regular Force service I was serving at the Regimental Headquarters of The RCR when I retired (i.e., transfered back to the Primary Reserve).

Michael O`Leary said:
After 26 years Regular Force service I was serving at the Regimental Headquarters of The RCR when I retired (i.e., transfered back to the Primary Reserve).

Ooops.... sorry Mr.O'Leary.

I no longer know who recognizes the Yellow/Red banner of the Armour now ( I was blue/grey). I know from my personal experience around here, at home and job related, on a day a like today. I pulled over stood up and thought for awhile about their sacrfaice.

GAP said:
Learning that I had served in the USMC as a Canadian, I was ignorantly told that the Legion did not want nor need mercenaries.....I have never stepped foot in one since, nor will I in the future....

A concept made more popular by the opinions of a certain politician, and one with many hypocritical double-standards. 

So, a person who is born in one nation but serves in the military of another is a 'mercenary'?  How is it any different than a hockey player who is born in Canada but plays in the US?  They went there for the money, but they aren't 'mercenary'?  What about a defence scientist who goes to work for a US military development firm, for a bigger paycheck of course, isn't that also 'mercenary'?  Or a Canadian politician who goes to work for a US company? Is this not also just for bucks, thus shouldn't they also be labelled 'mercenary'?

GAP said:

Your comment makes me wonder if the person who told you that had ever spent a day in uniform themselves.

Mike:

Probably more than true. This is still prevalent in some Branches as they seem to ration out a few people like this to more than a few Branches.

tango22a

Greymatters said:
A concept made more popular by the opinions of a certain politician, and one with many hypocritical double-standards. 

So, a person who is born in one nation but serves in the military of another is a 'mercenary'?  How is it any different than a hockey player who is born in Canada but plays in the US?  They went there for the money, but they aren't 'mercenary'?  What about a defence scientist who goes to work for a US military development firm, for a bigger paycheck of course, isn't that also 'mercenary'?  Or a Canadian politician who goes to work for a US company? Is this not also just for bucks, thus shouldn't they also be labelled 'mercenary'?

- Perhaps that one RCL rep is unaware that over 15,000 Americans served in the Canadian Expeditionary Force during The First Worl War.  I doubt he would consider them to be mercenaries.

the 48th regulator said:
Alrighty,

I have filled out my membership form, available online and I am popping in to my local Legion.

I will report how things go, tomorrow evening.

dileas

tess

Well Iw ent in.

Talked tot he bar tender, and stated that I would liek to become a member.

He was a bit weary, looked at me and asked what information I had.  I told him my application,a nd release id.  He looked at me, and said, "released from what prison?"  I answered that it felt liek ti was sometimes!

He laughed and said he would be able to take my paperwork, but if I wanted to, the memebership rep would be in on Thursday,and she would be able to take care of things tout sweet!

I think tha I may have found a legion that is my style!  I will keep you posted how it goes on Thursday.  I will still try to pop in tommorow, with my Blue Regimental blazer and grey flannels (well not flannel, but grey dress pants), and see how I am received, maybe I can speed things up.

dileas

tess

GAP said:
A couple of decades ago, back in Canada making a living, I considered joining the Legion.

(ps: that was not just the local's opinion....that was the National's opinion....)

Hypocritical or what!

If you were a Pom, Aussie or Kiwi, they would have welcomed you with opened arms.

On the brighter side, those with opinions like that are most likey dead now, or have moved on.

As for Mercs, what does that make me??

Overwatch Downunder said:
Hypocritical or what!

If you were a Pom, Aussie or Kiwi, they would have welcomed you with opened arms.

On the brighter side, those with opinions like that are most likey dead now, or have moved on.

As for Mercs, what does that make me??

- If you went down under for the money: a merc. 
- If you went down for Bondi Beach, on the other hand...

But, I know for sure you went to Australia because you thought the gun control laws in Canada were too weak.

8)

Back