• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who can wear a boat cloak?

From an army perspective..... someone's boat cloak is someone else's cape

geo said:
From an army perspective..... someone's boat cloak is someone else's cape

So true, so true.

I will now take my dignified purple beret and retire for the evening  ;)

I couldn't believe it, but there it was right in the dress regs just as Sailing Instructor had described: Captain(N) and above!

I own a boat cloak and have for years.  It's the best piece of kit I have; comfortable, warm, classy, and downright naval.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, boat cloaks were worn in the RCN by all officer ranks.  Given that our mess kits are RCN pattern, I think the RCN dress regs should apply.

Also, given that we pay for mess kit ourselves (unlike many other navies who issue them), I think that within reason we shouldn't be limited in the way this new regulation does.  I'm not saying Commanders and below should be able to wear tails, or that we should be able to wear sambraros with dingle balls.  I reckon I'm just saying that I should be able to wear my boat cloak.

Phrontis said:
I couldn't believe it, but there it was right in the dress regs just as Sailing Instructor had described: Captain(N) and above!

I own a boat cloak and have for years.  It's the best piece of kit I have; comfortable, warm, classy, and downright naval.

Unless I'm very much mistaken, boat cloaks were worn in the RCN by all officer ranks.  Given that our mess kits are RCN pattern, I think the RCN dress regs should apply.

Also, given that we pay for mess kit ourselves (unlike many other navies who issue them), I think that within reason we shouldn't be limited in the way this new regulation does.  I'm not saying Commanders and below should be able to wear tails, or that we should be able to wear sambraros with dingle balls.  I reckon I'm just saying that I should be able to wear my boat cloak.
I say, go for it.  It seems like a completely arbitrary restriction to me.  Have you looked at some of the cockeyed things that are written in the dress regs lately?  Naval ratings carrying infantry pattern swords, for instance?  The fellows who come up with these things must be smokin' a very low grade quality of hemp.

From my perspective, what's the worst thing that can happen if you wear it?
Someone asking you where you got it, if you paid for it & were you aware that the regs say "4 ringers & Above"?

All army types with messkits are OKd to wear em so ............

I hear you; it jst rubs against the grain to knowingly disregard a regulation, even one that isn't really critical.

How does one go about trying to et a dress reg changed?

well - the dress committee meets in Ottawa about twice a year.
my suggestion would be to talk to the big guy at your unit to submit a proposal up the chain of command.... it'll take time though.

Phrontis said:
I hear you; it jst rubs against the grain to knowingly disregard a regulation, even one that isn't really critical.

How does one go about trying to et a dress reg changed?

geo said:
well - the dress committee meets in Ottawa about twice a year.
my suggestion would be to talk to the big guy at your unit to submit a proposal up the chain of command.... it'll take time though.

Or just show up at the meeting, barge in and state your case on the idiocy of the archaic dress regs and those that write/review them. Make sure you wear your boat cloak for added effect.  8)

Next weeks topic here on Queer Eye for The Cadpat Guy will be on the wearing of boatcloaks at DB.

Danjanou said:
Or just show up at the meeting, barge in and state your case on the idiocy of the archaic dress regs and those that write/review them. Make sure you wear your boat cloak for added effect.  8)

Next weeks topic here on Queer Eye for The Cadpat Guy will be on the wearing of boatcloaks at DB.

Ha Ha too funny ;D

I've never actually seen anyone wear a boatcloak. Most of us just dash from the parking lot to the door of the Mess and hope we don't get too wet or cold...after the dinner...WHO CARES??

"boat" cloaks ?? I thought you guys wanted us to call them "Ships" ?? Someone will eventually have to explain when it's a Ship, and when it's a boat !!!
According to the info I have right now, a "boat cloak" would only be worn on a Submarine...

You uncouth army types are a scream.  You may now return to your normal positions squatting in ditches and poking berries up your noses.

Jungle said:
"boat" cloaks ?? I thought you guys wanted us to call them "Ships" ?? Someone will eventually have to explain when it's a Ship, and when it's a boat !!!
According to the info I have right now, a "boat cloak" would only be worn on a Submarine...

Or the boat that takes you from the jetty to a ship at anchor (probably the origin of the name "boat cloak").

Neill McKay said:
Or the boat that takes you from the jetty to a ship at anchor (probably the origin of the name "boat cloak").

That is correct...they were worn in the boat that brought you or took you to the ship.

Gino said:
You uncouth army types are a scream.  You may now return to your normal positions squatting in ditches and poking berries up your noses.

Hmmm, as opposed to stripped to the waist rubbing pine tar on each other.  "OOOO, you naughty seaman, I'm gonna getcha in my boat cloak!!" 

zipperhead_cop said:
Hmmm, as opposed to stripped to the waist rubbing pine tar on each other.  "OOOO, you naughty seaman, I'm gonna getcha in my boat cloak!!" 

Yaaarrrrgh,

Lets play "hide the mizzen mast in ye rope locker!"

Har har.

More Berries please!l

Back