• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who can wear a boat cloak?

Sailing Instructor

Inactive
Reaction score
The latest CF Dress Instructions state that only Capt(N)s and above may wear a boatcloak (p. 6E-1).  However the NETPO Handbook (Version 1.2 Revised May 2005) says that all commissioned officers may wear them (p. 5-40).

Which is correct?

dude, I have been in the Navy for 12 years and the only time I have ever seen boat cloaks worn is on A&Es Horatio Hornblower.

CF Dress Regulations:

Art. 3 of the Forward as well as Chapter 1 Art.3 refers.

Not from what I have seen on Ath or Iro.....Alg, well they are west coasties and do things differently anyways. ;)

xFusilier said:
CF Dress Regulations:
Art. 3 of the Forward as well as Chapter 1 Art.3 refers.

Never said they were never worn, just told where I have seen them worn.

Sailing Instructor said:
The latest CF Dress Instructions state that only Capt(N)s and above may wear a boatcloak (p. 6E-1).  However the NETPO Handbook (Version 1.2 Revised May 2005) says that all commissioned officers may wear them (p. 5-40).

Which is correct?

Given the choice between those two pubs I'd say the dress regs would govern.  The question is this: is the reference in the NETP-O handbook an error, or have the dress regs been amended (or is there a MARGEN or something in effect) to allow all officers to wear them?

The real question is, Can you see your Captain striding up to you and saying:

"Remove that boat-cloak at once - only I am entitled to look like Yoda whilst in uniform"  ;D

Boat cloaks...........
Ahhh.... Capes.
Have seen officers weraing em with their Mess Kits (scarlets)
also have seen em being worn with Patrol blues

See, and I'd think about joining the Navy just so that I could wear one of those - imagine the size of the scimitar/cutlass/pigsticker you coud hide under one of them babies!!! :eek:

Just kidding boat-people... just kidding!!!  Smileys all around... ;D

blake

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh matey!! I will keel haul ye without givin you rum first. :D

dude, I have been in the Navy for 12 years and the only time I have ever seen boat cloaks worn is on A&Es Horatio Hornblower

Ok, i amost fell outta my chair! that was good.  Officer pimp gear, LOL i still want a swagger stick!

cheers

PV

Wow...I've been around almost 30 years and never seen anyone wear one.
didn't cloaks kinda go out of style a couple of centuries ago?

Anything in the regs about the right to carry a buggy whip? ::)

There probably is waay at the back and now that you mentioned it some crochety old CWO is at this very minute trying to find it and...... ::)

I should take offense to that...................

IN HOC SIGNO said:
Wow...I've been around almost 30 years and never seen anyone wear one.
didn't cloaks kinda go out of style a couple of centuries ago?

What do you suggest should be worn as outer wear with mess dress?  The gabardine?  That's fine if you're going flashing in playgrounds, but a boat cloak says style.  I know a few people who have them, but they're rare as Pope excrement.  You can get one from Gieves and Thieves for 1500 pounds if you're so inclined.  As for the restriction to four-ringers, that's a recent thing and God knows why.  The crap that comes out of the CF Dress Committee makes you shake your head.

only worn by four ringers?????? well... that's true - but only to a certain extent.....

Outerwear. Full dress outerwear includes greatcoats and capes in traditional patterns and colours.  Atholl grey outerwear may be worn by regiments of foot guards.  Rifle regiments may wear green.  All other units wishing to wear traditional-pattern outerwear shall wear dark blue.

(to me - that's an opening that's as big as a barn door)

Gino said:
  That's fine if you're going flashing in playgrounds, but a boat cloak says style.  I know a few people who have them, but they're rare as Pope excrement. 

A boat cloak says style?!  ???

I far prefer my cloak of invisibility - you hear so much!!

Back