• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

Dannanou they have been talking about these things for years. Since  at least 2007. I  even have emails from Peter MacKay in 2010. More of the same old two faced bull crap.

I was a fly on the wall when the NVC was being pushed through. Never expected to be one of the ones affected. The bean counters were saying that Veterans benefits would cost more than prosecuting the actual war. So they slashed them to hell.  We didn't matter then and now we only get lip service. Why are even the most basic and fair changes taking over five years? The war is almost over. They are trying to out wait us. The game is to tell you what you need to be told to shut up and go away.  They make this announcement EVERY year.

If they were actually sincere  the NVC never would have existed in the first place.  Everyone who mattered knew the score. Hence the huge info ops to make it go down easy. Living Charter was getting a bit old in 2007. Now it's a slap in the face with a great big d!¢%.

Not disagreeing with you Nemo, just reporting what I was given.  I'm  just starting  to get involved with  the RCL.  Don't worry I'm quite capable of seperating bovine excrement from promises and if presented with the same ole same ole stuff again will respond appropriately.

I've sent this tidbit of the ministers "we will not challenge" along a few channels. Hopefully the people I've emailed already know and are getting ready to end this mess.

We will see.

Still nothing....

Maybe it's just me being accustom to instant dissemination of information that many would deem very important..... or maybe they need to work on their communication department.

I contacted the Equitas Society and Miller-Thomson who also aside from directing them to this link had heard nothing of it.

Maybe there is something I'm missing; but isn't this the biggest issue with the NVC to date?
Does the RCL just not understand the issue/ what great news this is?

Or maybe I'm missing something here.

The Legions silence is deafening. So much for their empty promises. They did finally get in the news again though.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2012/08/18/20115711.html

Legion sorry for racist 'joke'
By QMI AGENCY

(LUKE HENDRY/QMI AGENCY files)

The Royal Canadian Legion apologized profusely Friday for including a racist 'joke' in a recent newsletter published by its branch in Cranbrook, B.C.

The 'joke' begins with two hunters in northern Saskatchewan when "an Indian runs across the field," the Aboriginal People's Television Network (APTN) reports. The Saskatchewan hunter aims and shoots the "Indian" dead. The Alberta hunter expresses shock, but the Saskatchewan hunter tells him it's legal in the province.

Later, the Alberta hunter buys beer and puts it on the roof of his truck when "an Indian runs by, grabs the beer and runs away." The Alberta hunter then pulls out a pistol and shoots the person dead.

He's later arrested by an RCMP officer who tells him that it's illegal to use "bait" when shooting "Indians" in Saskatchewan.

More at the link.

I laughed too... when I heard it in the mess 25 years ago.

dogger1936 said:
A few months later.....

ok so I was being optomistic obviously rewriting the rules for the meat spins is a higher priority.  ::)They have gone into full CYA mode over the joke on thier web page.

One NDP MP's solution to helping vets, from the House of Commons yesterday (highlights mine) .....
Mr. John Rafferty (Thunder Bay—Rainy River, NDP):  Mr. Speaker, I rise today to thank our veterans and active military personnel and their families for their sacrifices in defence of Canada and our values.

New Democrats have always fought for improved rights for those who serve our country. We fought for DND and RCMP personnel to end the pension clawback. Together we succeeded.

This recent victory is to be celebrated, but clearly our work is not finished when it comes to making sure that our veterans and their families are able to live and retire in dignity.

It is our duty to ensure that every veteran who has served our country is afforded a dignified burial. That is not the case today, as 70% of applicants are refused access to the last post program, which is supposed to ensure that even our least fortunate veterans receive a dignified burial. New Democrats will continue to fight today in this place to change that.

Moving forward I will soon table a motion calling on the federal government to invest in the physical infrastructure of the branches of the Royal Canadian Legion to ensure they remain a comfortable and safe haven for members.

To our veterans and members, ladies auxiliary, friends and families of Royal Canadian Legion branches in my riding and right across Canada, I send my thanks for strengthening our communities.
Lest we forget.

And this explains the RCL's main problem:

Pieman said:
As for the Legion, I joined initially but I  found quite a large age gap between most members and myself, and I did not feel comfortable there. Perhaps I will get more involved in the future, but for now I don't have much of a connection with it. I have been more involved with the Military Museum so far, interacting with some of the library research members who are collecting information on Afghanistan etc.

Pieman wants to associate with vets like himself, wants to explain his war, but the RCL, at some local, individual branches, isn't willing or able to "make room" for him ~ maybe because some branches have very few actual vets any more, they have become "service clubs" and are run by people with little or no experience in the military, much less in war.

Funny how this thread gets revived so close to 11 Nov.

E.R. is quite right. Part of the issue the RCL has, is the failure to engage younger CF personnel. Euchre Tourneys, and darts with a glass of Labatts 50 isn't exactly a real draw ( and unfortunately is how most folks perceive RCL activities outside of 11 Nov).

Having said that, I happened by our local branch on behalf of a service club I belong to, to purchase a wreath for the cenotaph this Sun, and the folks I spoke to while there were friendly, welcoming, and quite personable. They told me about some of the unpcoming events, and things that they're doing locally, and I was quite impressed.

Long story short.......I laid my money on the counter and filled out my application for membership.

Now I just turned 40....so maybe I'm starting to see the allure of euchre, darts, and Labatts 50?

Don't knock the 50, A bad bottle of 50 is still better than a good bottle of Export, and BTW my Branch doesn't stock 50. Thank god.

my72jeep said:
Don't knock the 50, A bad bottle of 50 is still better than a good bottle of Export, and BTW my Branch doesn't stock 50. Thank god.

Export vs 50 is like moose piss vs horse piss.  Regardless of the choice, it's still just piss.

Another legion closes. This time due to a membership too old to carry on:

Last Remembrance Day for Mynarski branch

This year’s Remembrance Day will be a particularly sombre occasion for members of the  Royal Canadian Legion Andrew Mynarski VC Branch 34.
In addition to acknowledging the loss of fallen comrades, Legion members will be mourning the impending closure of the Main Street branch. It is scheduled to close its doors at the end of this year after more than six decades of service.

More at link.

Back