• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

ModlrMike said:
Another legion closes. This time due to a membership too old to carry on:

Last Remembrance Day for Mynarski branch

This year’s Remembrance Day will be a particularly sombre occasion for members of the  Royal Canadian Legion Andrew Mynarski VC Branch 34.
In addition to acknowledging the loss of fallen comrades, Legion members will be mourning the impending closure of the Main Street branch. It is scheduled to close its doors at the end of this year after more than six decades of service.

More at link.

Not surprisedby this at all. Another case of we don't want anyone who served after 1945 to join and guess what apparently you're not going to live forever. I can think of several local branches in Toronto with the same/attitude problems that will probably go under in the next few years.

So, no other branches close by they could have amalgamated with?

I guess Winnipeg just couldn't maintain 17 branches, I guess 16 will have to do.

http://branches.legion.ca/BrAction.cfm?CommandName=04

Michael O'Leary said:
So, no other branches close by they could have amalgamated with?

I guess Winnipeg just couldn't maintain 17 branches, I guess 16 will have to do.

http://branches.legion.ca/BrAction.cfm?CommandName=04

Amalgamate but but that means someone would have to give up being grand high poobaah in charge. It's kind of like suggesting amalgamation in the Molitia, No L/Col wants to give up being CO of his 20 man Bn. it will never happen. Full steam ahead and ignore that tiny iceberg off the starboard bow.  ::)

Meanwhile, while memberships shrink and branches close instead of merge, we have this.....
Roy is a saxophone player, and the rumour about Roy that has been rolling around the shores of Lake Chapala, a Mexican retirement hub for Canadian snowbirds, is that he is the man responsible for the iconic party-song: “Tequila.”

“That is our understanding,” Sam Corbeil says. “Roy is a very talented musician, I will say that. But, you know, I’m always a little suspect about whether the ‘Tequila’ story is a truth or not.”

What is a fact, for Sam Corbeil, whose actual name is Mary Beth, though everybody around Lake Chapala knows her as Sam, is that about 50 Canadian retirees living beside the largest lake in Mexico — where it is sunny and warm every single day from May until June — were having a fiesta at the local golf club on Thursday.

The Canadian-consul general in Guadalajara was invited. Roy and his band were playing while the assembled guests were toasting a Canadian first: the formal opening of a Royal Canadian Legion branch — in Lake Chapala, Mexico.

“The American Legion have two branches here,” says Sam’s husband, Frank, whose real name is Frank, and who served three years with the Canadian airborne medical corps in the early 1960s. “The Americans were doing lots of activities and they would involve us, just to be nice, but we felt we wanted our own Legion.

“We wanted to focus on the things that were important to Canadians — Canada Day, Remembrance Day — and we wanted to be active in this community without simply being an adjunct to the Americans.” ....

We had an entire corps of airborne medics?  Where did they go?  Talk about your radical cuts to healthcare.

Well now I know what Branch I'll be transferring my membership to when I retire.  8)

milnews.ca said:
One NDP MP's solution to helping vets, from the House of Commons yesterday (highlights mine) .....
Mr. John Rafferty (Thunder Bay—Rainy River, NDP):  Mr. Speaker, I rise today to thank our veterans and active military personnel and their families for their sacrifices in defence of Canada and our values.

New Democrats have always fought for improved rights for those who serve our country. We fought for DND and RCMP personnel to end the pension clawback. Together we succeeded.

This recent victory is to be celebrated, but clearly our work is not finished when it comes to making sure that our veterans and their families are able to live and retire in dignity.

It is our duty to ensure that every veteran who has served our country is afforded a dignified burial. That is not the case today, as 70% of applicants are refused access to the last post program, which is supposed to ensure that even our least fortunate veterans receive a dignified burial. New Democrats will continue to fight today in this place to change that.

Moving forward I will soon table a motion calling on the federal government to invest in the physical infrastructure of the branches of the Royal Canadian Legion to ensure they remain a comfortable and safe haven for members.

To our veterans and members, ladies auxiliary, friends and families of Royal Canadian Legion branches in my riding and right across Canada, I send my thanks for strengthening our communities. Lest we forget.

The motion appears to be in motion, so to speak - from the MP's info-machine....
Thunder Bay-Rainy River New Democrat MP John Rafferty has tabled motion M-417 in the House of Commons to establish a Royal Canadian Legion Infrastructure Renewal Fund to assist individual Legion branches across Canada in modernizing and upgrading their physical infrastructure.

“Legions have always provided a safe haven for veterans, active personnel, their families, and the public in their communities,” Rafferty stated. “However, as a nonprofit self-sustaining body they are only able to raise funds through membership dues, catering and other programs.  With community service commitments ranging from seniors support, housing projects, and youth programs, there is little left to invest in branch infrastructure, so I would like to see the federal government assist in the renewal of these proud institutions across Canada,” he said. 

Rafferty’s motion M-417 calls on the Federal government consider establishing a Royal Canadian Legion Infrastructure Renewal Fund to assist individual branches in their infrastructure renewal projects. If implemented, any investment made by a Legion branch to preserve or enhance the physical infrastructure of the branch would be eligible for matching funds by the Federal government.

Rafferty said the proposed new fund would allow branches in need to allocate their funds in a more efficient manner and build a lasting presence in the communities they serve.  “Our Legions want to continue to provide the services they do in their communities, but simply aren’t able to raise enough funds to make their branches fully accessible or to make major repairs to heating ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems for example.  I’m hoping the federal government will take this idea and run with it to help our Legions survive and thrive throughout Canada.”

milnews.ca said:
Rafferty’s motion M-417 calls on the Federal government consider establishing a Royal Canadian Legion Infrastructure Renewal Fund
So even if the motion passes, "yes, we've considered it. No."

And a proper decision that would be. If veterans and serving members won't join in sufficient numbers to keep the organization afloat, why should the government throw good money after bad.

Journeyman said:
why should the government throw good money after bad.

I thought that was official NDP policy? I'm sure it was craftd on one of the two tablets Jack brought down form the mountain side. 8)

I wonder how many times he had to practice saying this before he stopped throwing up:

New Democrats have always fought for improved rights for those who serve our country.

ModlrMike said:
I wonder how many times he had to practice saying this before he stopped throwing up:
I can only assume that he has a failing Legion in his riding.

Perhaps some lies, like "I'll respect you in the morning" and "I promise I won't.....well, you know....whatever," come more naturally with practice.  :dunno:

I believe the RCL may have lost it's focus.  There are so many other new assn sprouting up.  Kinda waters down the veteran base.
In some town the Legion is the reception hall and meeting place.
One very important aspect we tend to forget is EMO response. I know in some parts of Northern Ontario it is the community kitchen, rally point and storage place for emergency supplies. No one ever knows when storm or tragedy will land, strike or happen.  I know that the Legion on St Joes island has a large provincial emergency generator so it can provide services in a storm. 
As probably mention I think some Legions have evolved into something not intended with the absence of veterans.  Or as I have seen far too often the resident staff and bar regulars are almost driving you out the door and not welcoming to guests or visitors.  RCL has to be inclusive and accommodating. 
Some Legions may need some infrastructure assistance to meet the needs of the community, especially if it was to be a staging area for emergencies, or extension of the Red Cross. The buildings are there. I know my local legion doubles as a senior centre during the day for people to socialize and be used in lieu of a meals on wheels.  Instead of building new, co-utilize existing facilities.

Journeyman said:
I can only assume that he has a failing Legion in his riding.

Perhaps some lies, like "I'll respect you in the morning" and "I promise I won't.....well, you know....whatever," come more naturally with practice.  :dunno:

milnews.ca said:

Six branches according to the RCL websites, no idea of their financial or other stability. The Provincial Command Site doesn't give a breakdown on member numbers like some other's do. Mind six seems a bit much for that area.

http://www.mbnwo.ca/index.htm

BR 219
POLISH COMBATANTS LWOW BRANCH
209 N CUMBERLAND ST
THUNDER BAY
ON
Canada
P7A 4N2
807-345-1861

BR 054
MAJOR HUGHES BRANCH
319 4TH STREET
RAINY RIVER
ON
Canada
P0W 1L0
807-852-3544

BR 149
FORT WILLIAM POLISH VETERANS BRANCH
730 SIMPSON ST
THUNDER BAY
ON
Canada
P7C 3K1
807-623-1775

BR 129
SLOVAK BRANCH
801 ATLANTIC AVE
THUNDER BAY
ON
Canada
P7C 2T3
807-623-3354

BR 006
FORT WILLIAM BRANCH
226 S MAY ST LOWER LEVEL
THUNDER BAY
ON
Canada
P7E 1B4
807-622-4822

BR 005
PORT ARTHUR BRANCH
229 VAN NORMAN ST
THUNDER BAY
ON
Canada
P7A 4B6
807-345-8232

Danjanou said:
Six branches according to the RCL websites, no idea of their financial or other stability. The Provincial Command Site doesn't give a breakdown on member numbers like some other's do. Mind six seems a bit much for that area ....
Rainy River is a five-hour drive from Thunder Bay, so it's really only five in a city of ~110K population.

I have no idea of the financial picture or specific numbers, either, but some of this is because of the city's history (used to be two cities, so many organizations have had a north and south side presence).  That's also part of the history of why we have three Remembrance Day ceremonies (one north side outdoor, one south side indoor - both organized by different local Legion organizations - and, for the past few years, one at the First Nation) every year.  There's been "talk" of combining the three ceremonies since I was an Air Cadet (mid-1970s), but Balkan levels of factionalism/parochialism seem to be hanging on within the organizations in question.

There used to be six Legions in Thunder Bay.  One older branch (BR 113 Ortona, host to the local Svc Bn cadet corps), if memory serves, went out of business and shut its door rather suddenly years ago.  That building is now being used as a residential substance abuse treatment centre.

With the remaining branches, in one case, there's a pretty significant (and reasonably busy with outside functions) Legion hall in an older residential area that's about, say, a two-minute drive from another smaller (nowhere near so busy with outside functions) hall in a nearyby older business area.

In another case, the Legion branch used to own a building (with a reasonably nice bar area and OK hall), and now only has offices in the building they sold to a non-profit organization.

With other veteran organizations, an ANAF hall that burned down a few years ago is now renting bar space at the local Labour Centre as its remaining presence.

You're the local expert ole buddy. Of the 5 sounds like two could be closed/amalgamated with no issues, aside from two sets of executives with their sense of entitlement would be out of "work" ::)

Here's the link to the membership of the 28 Toronto branches
http://www.rcldistrictd.com/Membership.html

Five of them ( including some of the smaller ones) don't have a building/hall and rent office and/or bar space  and could easily be shuttered, aside form the fact that in at least one case I know the "Leadeship" there opposes anything that would end their legacy.

Danjanou said:
You're the local expert ole buddy. Of the 5 sounds like two could be closed/amalgamated with no issues, aside from two sets of executives with their sense of entitlement would be out "work" ::)
Nice to hear from someone outside the situation saying things that have been "whispered" here for years ;)

milnews.ca said:
Nice to hear from someone outside the situation saying things that have been "whispered" here for years ;)

Magnify the problem fivefold for down here in the centre of the know universe. Mind nature has a way of resolving this situation
http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/health26-eng.htm

>:D

This is a good move as Cougar and Tequila have already been proven to have a symbiotic relationship.  ;D

Royal Canadian Legion opens Mexico branch

Gordon Moore, dominion president of the Royal Canadian Legion, announced the presentation of the new charter to the Lake Chapala, Mexico branch.

Read it on Global News: Global News | Royal Canadian Legion opens Mexico branch
http://www.globalnews.ca/royal+canadian+legion+opens+mexico+branch/6442762816/story.html

daftandbarmy said:
This is a good move as Cougar and Tequila have already been proven to have a symbiotic relationship.  ;D

Royal Canadian Legion opens Mexico branch

Gordon Moore, dominion president of the Royal Canadian Legion, announced the presentation of the new charter to the Lake Chapala, Mexico branch.

Read it on Global News: Global News | Royal Canadian Legion opens Mexico branch
http://www.globalnews.ca/royal+canadian+legion+opens+mexico+branch/6442762816/story.html

Um check about 15 posts up in this thread, or have you been supping the tequila amigo. 8)

Back