• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

I'll be the first to admit that the Legion as a whole has made some serious mistakes, but as the largest veterans organization in Canada, it has the strongest voice in advocating for veterans. Now that it is working with other vet's orgs, it's voice is stronger still. We, as veterans, need to use this voice to bring beneficial change to veteran's lives. The team is stronger than the individual.
  The Legion's response to many issues has been weak, but it has brought real benefit to a lot of veteran's lives. I am a veteran whose life is better because of a Legion funded program, the Veterans Transition Program. This program doesn't take a dime fr VAC, it is entirely funded by the Legion. It is a great help to those suffering fr emotional trauma, PTSD, OSI and is going national. My branch has spent about $50 000 on care pkgs for troops overseas as part of our SOT Campaign. We have lobbied the local MP on behalf of Yukon vets, and even bought groceries for vets in need.
  I feel I have brought change to vets in the Yukon by working to change the Legion from within. If you think the Legion is not doing enough for vets, then join and help make the changes. Run for Executive, volunteer, or at the very least, let your opinions be known at a meeting.

Hey Mike Bobbitt,

I think someone is trying to mow your lawn!!

http://legion.ca/_PDF/Convention/YELLOW_BOOK_2012_E.pdf

"VIRTUAL LEGION

The Committee has both introduced and been a strong proponent of the Virtual Legion concept that would allow modern day veterans an electronic forum to socialize and provide a voice under the umbrella of the Legion. As a result the Legion has rethought its current strategy of veteran solidarity in regard to their current model of branch membership and is moving forward to provide an additional environment that will attract the veteran of today.

A Virtual Legion branch will encompass an electronic social network that meets the requirement of the current Legion independent branch in that it would fall under Dominion Command. It will allows veteran’s to interrelate, associate, voice concerns, contribute and find help all within their comfort zones and skill level. The programs general characteristics are:
• Secure closed forum(s).
• Veteran only.
• Registered membership required to participate.
• Monitored under the guidance of the General By-Laws.
• Centralised control.
• Individual branches based on missions, units, sqns, commissioned ships with a start point
of 1968.
• Additional branches prior to 1968 possible upon request and substantiation.
• Membership in specific branches based on previous association.

The Virtual Legion will have a military look and feel to it. It will reflect the ships, units, squadrons, and missions that the CF currently has and has participated in respectively. It will be designed to allow the familiarity that those that served can only truly understand.The initial development phase is underway with an independent company contracted to produce the Virtual Legion platform under the guidance of the Legion."

Maybe we'll get lucky and they will take over thr recruiting forums...... ;D

Thanks for that info Ogami Itto. Sounds like a great idea for The Legion :yellow:

Quoting myself here...

57Chevy said:
Does anyone out there have an idea of how to go about opening up a Legion ?
Thanks.

After reading the thread since I posted, changing (the what's wrong with ?)
about The Legion from the inside has to be the answer.
I suppose opening one up must be much harder, unless you already own a bar.  :D
Cheers

Ogami Itto said:
Hey Mike Bobbitt,

I think someone is trying to mow your lawn!!

http://legion.ca/_PDF/Convention/YELLOW_BOOK_2012_E.pdf

I think thats a great way to get more younger veterans involved, and certainly peeked my interest.

W. Van legion was definitely a closed environment the last time I checked them out.

With respect to establishing a Legion Branch. It is a very difficult task to accomplish as there is a minimum number of Charter members necessary to bring forward a petition to zone command. Provided an initial approval were to be given, the Charter members would then be required to present a business model to Provincial command. Based upon their recommendation, the approval would then be required from Dominion command. (this would literally take many months, if not years)

This process is very long and arduous, subject to challenge at all levels of command and be easily derailed by some narrow minded characters (both individual and executive).

The easiest thing to do would be to identify struggling branches, take over the executive and then do whatever you feel like. Ordinary members (proven Veteran service) are accorded special privileges, the most important being the relative ease with which they can be elected to positions of power within a very short period of time. This second option is most feasible as it allows for usage of existing infrastructure, transfer of bar licencing and retention of staff.

Caveats abound though, Municipalities are killing off branches with taxes, staff costs can be outrageous (union seniority, benefits, etc.), distributors are apprehensive of providing credit and the existing locales can be dangerously close to condemnation due to a lack of maintenance. Back taxes are another unspoken issue which could rear its' ugly head.

In the Lower Mainland a major rejuvenation is ongoing but without involvement from new/young members, the re-developments are largely being done as glorified retirement homes which cater to the needs of the aged clientele and older members who set the development agenda (it's a pain in the *** to deal with sometimes but the slow play is working for my branch and for others in the Lower Mainland). Some branches are set to fail soon, some have succeeded and some upcoming projects are setting the tone for future Legion presence in B.C.

It is up to the existing and future membership to determine the shape of service clubs in the years to come, the future is still malleable in my opinion...

PuckChaser said:
I think thats a great way to get more younger veterans involved, and certainly peeked my interest.

Anything to do with Dominion command and computers will mean guaranteed failure. Dominion still spends hundreds of thousands on stamps for crying out loud. The best recourse would be to support causes such as Milnet.ca. Ottawa has their head up their arse when it comes to dynamic ideas such as this.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Maybe we'll get lucky and they will take over the recruiting forums...... ;D

I asked, even they're not that stupid.  8)

Seriously this was a big recurring theme during the convention. Updating and making the RCL and various Provincial, District, Branch web sites earlier to use. Twitter and facebook presence. This cyber site to join initially. Automated annual renewal maybe with credit cards etc. The web store is already up and running.

There was a lot of discussion to have all the manuals online so they could be downloaded as opposed to printed copies. This made sense as having them all on flash drive at a meeting beats dragging in tons of books just in case you need to look something.

I saw a bit of opposition to this from the old guard, but to be honest they're fighting a rear guard action. The Legion will be dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

sheikyerbouti said:
W. Van legion was definitely a closed environment the last time I checked them out.

With respect to establishing a Legion Branch. It is a very difficult task to accomplish as there is a minimum number of Charter members necessary to bring forward a petition to zone command. Provided an initial approval were to be given, the Charter members would then be required to present a business model to Provincial command. Based upon their recommendation, the approval would then be required from Dominion command. (this would literally take many months, if not years)

This process is very long and arduous, subject to challenge at all levels of command and be easily derailed by some narrow minded characters (both individual and executive).

The easiest thing to do would be to identify struggling branches, take over the executive and then do whatever you feel like. Ordinary members (proven Veteran service) are accorded special privileges, the most important being the relative ease with which they can be elected to positions of power within a very short period of time. This second option is most feasible as it allows for usage of existing infrastructure, transfer of bar licencing and retention of staff.

Caveats abound though, Municipalities are killing off branches with taxes, staff costs can be outrageous (union seniority, benefits, etc.), distributors are apprehensive of providing credit and the existing locales can be dangerously close to condemnation due to a lack of maintenance. Back taxes are another unspoken issue which could rear its' ugly head.

In the Lower Mainland a major rejuvenation is ongoing but without involvement from new/young members, the re-developments are largely being done as glorified retirement homes which cater to the needs of the aged clientele and older members who set the development agenda (it's a pain in the *** to deal with sometimes but the slow play is working for my branch and for others in the Lower Mainland). Some branches are set to fail soon, some have succeeded and some upcoming projects are setting the tone for future Legion presence in B.C.

It is up to the existing and future membership to determine the shape of service clubs in the years to come, the future is still malleable in my opinion...

Anything to do with Dominion command and computers will mean guaranteed failure. Dominion still spends hundreds of thousands on stamps for crying out loud. The best recourse would be to support causes such as Milnet.ca. Ottawa has their head up their arse when it comes to dynamic ideas such as this.

Would it make sense to try and privatize the Legion in some way?

They serve a specific demographic: baby boomers (the largest demographic population ever, and gettting much older) so there may be a business case to be made there to run them like any other chain targeting over 50s.

Hey, I think I just figured out my 'Dragon's Den' idea!

Now that's an episode of Dragon's Den I'd watch 8)

Someone has posted a link to the Yellow Book, and the fact that this and other sites like FB were following the convention, came up on the floor the last day. Some of the Old Guard I think were not pleased by that either BTWW. It's worth a look at, any questions re some of the resolutions, post questions here and I'll look through my version with notes written in it and try and elaborate including which ones passed.

Danjanou

Aside from the yellow book describing the topic's is there any minutes recorded or video of the conference? Just looking to see what was discussed in detail by whom.

Also what is the conference facebook link?

Thanks

Dogger no convention FB link that I know of. AFAIK the idea of getting more into social media is somthing they're working on and some branches etc already have websites both officila RCL ones and FB ones.

There is a note in the convention pkge re a DVD available, not sure it thats all 3 days of debate or just the ceremonial stuff parade, opening and closing ceremonies, guest speakers etc. Mind it's probably the later. Anything in particular you're looking for?

Danjanou said:
Dogger no convention FB link that I know of. AFAIK the idea of getting more into social media is somthing they're working on and some branches etc already have websites both officila RCL ones and FB ones.

There is a note in the convention pkge re a DVD available, not sure it thats all 3 days of debate or just the ceremonial stuff parade, opening and closing ceremonies, guest speakers etc. Mind it's probably the later. Anything in particular you're looking for?

Roger that thanks for the info.

Anything in regards to NVC mentioned by any of the guest speakers (Gen Natynchuck, Minister Blaney, Commarades in the executive.)

And of course any promises mentioned!

dogger1936 said:
Roger that thanks for the info.

Anything in regards to NVC mentioned by any of the guest speakers (Gen Natynchuck, Minister Blaney, Commarades in the executive.)

And of course any promises mentioned!

Walt was more of a stir up the tropps speech, the Ministers and othere wer ealong the lines of the NVC is a work in progress and will be updated and modified.

The following resolutions were passed. That does not mean that anything more than a strong letter to VAC maybe but we’ll see.  (I’ve just typed out the titles etc, details in the yellow book link starting on page 125)
Addition of more vets on the Veterans Appeal Board

Request for Employer tax credits for hiring vets

New vet photo ID card

Offset of VAC disability pension by SSIP long term disability

Environmental exposure eligibility (Agent Orange. Depleted uranium etc

Death benefit if death attributable to service retroactive to 2006

$1500 funding to engage  financial advisors to assist injured vets with planning

Earnings loss for reservists to be same as regulars, minimum $40,000.00 up from present $24,300.00

Extension of education assistant program to children and families

Attendance allowance in NVC

Rationalization of eligibility criteria for VIP

VIP for RCMP

VIP for Frail veterans

Extension of VIP to survivors Portability of VIP services (reimbursement of condo fees)

Extend legacy care program

Immediate increase in funeral and burial benefits

Increase in survivor estate exemption

Funding for veteran transition program treatment

Use of poppy fund for veteran transition programs (RCL not VAC so this is done deal)

Oh yeah they also approved petitioning the Govt for that dammed Volunteer Service medal ( mini CD) for 3 years’ service

Sorry for the delay nice day down here and went to Peggy's Cove to play tourist.  Yeah dogger it came up a lot, general opinion on the floor and more importantly in the timmies line up and outside on smoke breaks ( more work done in those two places) is that the Gov't decision not to challenge it at all is a positive and proof that VAC undestand the NVC needs work. As was said many times it's a living (meaning changeable) document.

Danjanou said:
is that the Gov't decision not to challenge it at all is a positive and proof that VAC undestand the NVC needs work. As was said many times it's a living (meaning changeable) document.

Danjanou;

You have truly made my day with that statement. Sounds like this is finally reaching the critical mass that was required. Excellent.

Good to hear the general consensus on the floor as well.

3 year medal...well... that's another thread I'm certain.

I read about the transition program VIA other means yesterday. THIS is the stuff I love to see.

Cheers

Dogger there were 1075 delegates there representing 330,000+ Legion members. That's a lot of votes for any party and most of those people are older and more politically active than the average Canadian. I think the Minister is well aware of that.

Danjanou said:
Dogger there were 1075 delegates there representing 330,000+ Legion members. That's a lot of votes for any party and most of those people are older and more politically active than the average Canadian. I think the Minister is well aware of that.

That's an excellent point actually I had not considered. And very true with regards to the political activism.

Aside from here I have not seen anything IRT the minister saying that the current government would not fight the current lawsuit put forward IRT the NVC.

Maybe the legion should prompt them with an announcement to their members on this wonderful announcement. Personally I think this would be a huge announcement from the legion.

dogger1936 said:
Maybe the legion should prompt them with an announcement to their members on this wonderful announcement. Personally I think this would be a huge announcement from the legion.

wait for it, probably be here soon

http://www.legion.ca/Home/NewsRoom_e.cfm

Back