• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Redeye said:
Just finished Ayaan Ali Hersi's Infidel, which is excellent

Thanks for that recommendation - I've been thinking about picking up a copy. 

bridges said:
Thanks for that recommendation - I've been thinking about picking up a copy.

It's really just a biography of her, there's no other real substance to it - but if you're familiar with who she is it gives you a bit more insight into her life.

Not sure what I'll read next. I have a kindle with a huge quantity of books, lots to go on.

"The Sisters Brothers" Interesting take on the traditional Western. 

BernDawg said:
"The Sisters Brothers" Interesting take on the traditional Western.

Someone just suggested that one for our book club.  It'll be a nice change from the books about dysfunctional families (I hope... ) 

The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill, an award winning novel published in 2007.  The title is derived from a historical document bearing the same name, detailing the 3000 slaves who faught for the British in the American Revolutionary War who fled to Canada from Manhattan in 1783. It's a fascinating novel about the African diaspora, I'm looking forward to hearing the author speak, he is currently on tour and will be visiting my community sometime in the near future.

It was published outside of Canada as Someone Knows My Name.

bridges said:
Someone just suggested that one for our book club.  It'll be a nice change from the books about dysfunctional families (I hope... )
Oh I'd say they're fairly disfunctional but in a "shoot-you-in-the-belly" and laugh kind of way.  ;)

Halfway through A Game of Thrones and have already ordered the other three in the series from Amazon.

Reading Timeline by Michael Crichton.

I watched the movie over the weekend (I do not recommend it), so now I am reading the book to see if it is any better.  I am enjoying the book a lot more than I  did the movie.

I found the book much better than the movie. They really didn't do it justice when they wrote the screenplay.

dangerboy said:
Reading Timeline by Michael Crichton.

I watched the movie over the weekend (I do not recommend it), so now I am reading the book to see if it is any better.  I am enjoying the book a lot more than I  did the movie.

The book is way better.  The best thing about the movie was Gerard Butler.  :nod:

I'm rereading The Stand for the umpteenth time. Love that book.

Timeline was a fantastic book.

I would highly recommend a book called The Dark Beyond the Stars, by Frank M Robinson. Fantastic read, and available to read online for free!

PMedMoe said:
Uncut version?

I believe so.....  It was an old book I found while digging around in my girlfriends basement. Says published in '78 and its about 830 pages long.

nik214 said:
I believe so.....  It was an old book I found while digging around in my girlfriends basement. Says published in '78 and its about 830 pages long.

Nope, that's the original.  The uncut version came out later. Either way, still a good book.  That's the first King book I read at the ripe old age of 13......  ;)

I got started on King around 13 as well, but for me, it was the Gunslinger series. Fantastic read.

I have the uncut version of the Stand :) All 1000+ pages

PMedMoe said:
Nope, that's the original.  The uncut version came out later. Either way, still a good book.  That's the first King book I read at the ripe old age of 13......  ;)

Ah okay that's too bad I would of liked to read the uncut.  Agreed; very good so far.

Back