• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Penny's story - Decisions to make

Penny, thanks, yes hubby was home this year. He is wildly gesturing that I type in that you look into transport/trucking logs (I can't imagine why..LOL).  He adds that if you are so persuaded to go transport/trucking, then look into doing your CITT diploma - which apparently is a very interesting program.  He also said that many of the overseas postings/deployments have slots for fleet management type ppl. 

niner domestic said:
. . . persuaded to go transport/trucking, then look into doing your CITT diploma

Thank-you Niner Domestic.

The overseas part sounds good.  I looked up CITT http://www.citt.ca/files/2006-2007CITTGuide_forweb.pdf
at $558.50 per course and requireing only 10 courses that is a very affordable option in both time and money. Would he say if the CITT designation is sufficient to apply DEO afterwards?  Or is this designation a "good to have" if you are applying as Reg Force NCM?

Regarding not having grades for RMC, just to ensure no one is overlooking the obvious, at civi u, you can apply based on "mature student status", if you've been finish high school for greater than X amount of years. Does RMC not have something similar to take into account "life experience", rather than simply "school experience"?

Just to clear up another point I think that whomever gave you the info that MARS officers were the most hated people on board must have been a disgruntled NCM. It's fair enough if you don't want to go to sea but I think the dynamics of Officer/NCM relations on our ships has been grossly misrepresented.

There are generally 4 officer classifications on board Marine Surface/Subsurface or MARS (those who navigate and direct the fighting of the ship), Marine Engineers MARE (those who direct the engineering department) Combat Systems Engineers CSE (those who direct the techies) and Supply Officer(s), Sea Log.

MARS officers are in command of the ship (the CO is MARS) and are those who give a lot of the orders in the Ops Room and for Deck evolutions. Management skills vary and some are liked by their sailors and some are not. No different really than an Army or Air unit. My experience is that lots of NCMS dislike new junior officers of all classifications...especially those out of Military College...because they have authority yet very little practical experience.

MARS is actually a pretty good job but it does require a lot of time away from home port in the first 5-8 years of your career.

Good luck in your career choice and progress...I hope you get what you are looking for.
;)

toughenough said:
Regarding not having grades for RMC, just to ensure no one is overlooking the obvious, at civi u, you can apply based on "mature student status", if you've been finish high school for greater than X amount of years. Does RMC not have something similar to take into account "life experience", rather than simply "school experience"?

Toughenough,
I have been accepted to a civilian university and I try to peck off courses at night when I am financially able. It takes a lot of my money and energy and I do not recommend it. Ideally, I would go to University full-time.
The recruiting center told me that to ROTP (Regular Officer Training Plan) for INT Officer you MUST go to Royal Military College, RMC and study Military Strategy, no exceptions, no civilian universities. Also,  RMC will not accept any applicant, regardless of how long ago high school was, if their marks were not well above average. [Source: Recrutiting center, recent] I believe this is due to the great demand there is to get in. The competition is very tough, and I can understand that otherwise I wouldn't be so very interested in getting in myself.
That said, I have been going through indirect "filters" to find out about RMC (IE: the Recruiting Center) as I have not been able to acquire a direct contact to RMC so far. I have researched their website, read their literature, etc.
Bottom line: I am trying to keep a very open mind about the remaining possible avenues to reach the goal, and I do appreciate the feedback I have been receiving here. This is also a great "sounding board" because so many people here have a lot of experience.

Penny: Perhaps Kincanucks can clarify this, but I was under the impression that RMC still holds an MOU with Queen's for students from either institution may opt for and attend classes at either school... could you not be a Queen's student and take the Mil Strat. course? (It's been a while since I graduated from RMC but the last class I recall that had anything to do with INT was a PG class and it was not a mandatory class for the degree. I did have a few 4th year Ocdts in my PG International Relationship class with Dr. James Finan). 

As for the CITT designation, I believe hubby has mentioned that it goes on his profile as a quasi PG designation.  I'll check with him when he gets home. 

Niner Domestic,
An RMC MOU with Queens?  Thank you - I will look into that.
PG designation - sorry that was over my head. (guessing: Performance Grade?)
-Penny

Penny said:
Niner Domestic,
An RMC MOU with Queens?  Thank you - I will look into that.
PG designation - sorry that was over my head. (guessing: Performance Grade?)
-Penny

post graduate

Penny

Got your email a few days ago. Do me a favour email me on the DWAN only Captain Johnston at JTFC/LFCA HQ or call and I will hook you up with a SME Int O (he is now however a PAO) go figure.

Captain J

niner domestic said:
Penny: Perhaps Kincanucks can clarify this, but I was under the impression that RMC still holds an MOU with Queen's for students from either institution may opt for and attend classes at either school... could you not be a Queen's student and take the Mil Strat. course? (It's been a while since I graduated from RMC but the last class I recall that had anything to do with INT was a PG class and it was not a mandatory class for the degree. I did have a few 4th year Ocdts in my PG International Relationship class with Dr. James Finan). 

As for the CITT designation, I believe hubby has mentioned that it goes on his profile as a quasi PG designation.  I'll check with him when he gets home. 

No

Back