• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

http://www.amazon.com/Code-Word-Canloan-Wilfred-Smith/dp/1550021672

Code word: CANLOAN

I believe there was a book written about the CANLOAN program in the 1960's. Can't find it. Possibly Old Sweat knows it.

Additionally several CANLOAN officers wrote books of their experiences.

Several officers of my regiment participated in the program.

Rifleman62 said:
http://www.amazon.com/Code-Word-Canloan-Wilfred-Smith/dp/1550021672
I believe there was a book written about the CANLOAN program in the 1960's. Can't find it. Possibly Old Sweat knows it.

Sorry, I don't recall it.

The CANLOAN program certainly was a success. It also led to a "Son of CANLOAN" in the eighties when several Canadian gunner and sapper majors were seconded to the Brits as battery and squadron commanders. At least one served as a battery commander in Gulf 1.

I have a book at home written by a CANLOAN officer. From what I recollect;

- written mid 60's, author living in the US (California; he was teaching at a university);
- in the Forward he wanted to pass on how it was so his son who was facing going to war (Vietnam) would have some notion;
- landed after D-Day as an Inf Pl Comd
- mentions the RWpgRif: some soldiers coming towards them in a wheat fieldĀ  (after being overrun??)

Other CALOAN info: http://www.war-experience.org/canloan/index.html

There was a Little Black Devil serving as a CANLOAN officer with a battalion of 50 Div, which was the flanking formation to 3 Canadian Infantry Division in the early days in Normandy. Some troops from C Company, including the Coy Comd and 2ic, escaped when the company was overrun and made contact with the Brits on their flank. The Coy Comd organized a local counter-attack by the Brits which helped hold the Germans in place before they were forced back by a formal counter-attack by the Can Scots and the 1st Hussars.

The CANLOAN officer later observed the bodies of several troops he had served with who had been murdered at the Chateau d'Audrieu (sp?) on 8 June.

Sorry I can't recall his name, but I am away from home.

Not the same fellow who wrote the book I was referring to.

All Quiet on the Western Front, and for hilarious kicks, a 'charm book' printed in the 1920's... ROFL

medicineman said:
Are you worried about yourself or someone else?

MM

Haha, I am taking a Criminology course in College. Psychology is really fascinating too, especially behavioural and abnormal psychology. But now that I have started reading them there are a couple of people that come to mind...an old room mate in particular....

Thanks though, for what I will take as concern... ;D

The Patrol, by Ryan Flavelle

"Seven days in the life of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan"Ā  :)

Just picked up at the gun show for $15:

Osprey's "Staghound"
another series book on US Armoured cars
The Centurion Tank by Bill Munro

Just finished reading "A Sailor of Austria: In which, without really intending to Otto Prohaska becomes Offical War Hero No. 27 of the Habsburg Empire" by John Biggins.Ā  http://www.amazon.ca/Sailor-Austria-Intending-Prohaska-Official/dp/159013107X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336684143&sr=8-1 . It is the fictional story of a submarine commander during WWI.Ā 

Not knowing much about submarines in general I don't know how accurate the information presented in the book on Austrian and German subs was but I enjoyed the book, and in the end that is the most important aspect to me.

Going between two books:

The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel, the last in the Children of the Earth series

and

All Hell Let Loose: The World at War 1939-1945 by Max Hastings

Just finished "Left Neglected", a novel about a woman who sustained a brain injury to the right side of her brain, leaving her with no awareness of the left - of anything:Ā  her body, the room, the world.Ā  The author has a PhD in neuroscience & did a fair amount of research.Ā  It was quite interesting.

Now starting "Three Nights in Havana", about Trudeau's visit in '76.Ā 

Just finished the The Operators : Inside 14 Intelligence Company by James Rennie. Its an account Rennie's time in 14 Int Company in Northern Ireland.Ā  Unfortnately, most of the book is actually about his selection process and training and only a small part is about operations in Northern Ireland.

Started Fishers of Men by Rob Lewis. Lewis was a member of the Force Research Unit which was involved in running agents in Northern Ireland.

Just finished Ayaan Ali Hersi's Infidel, which is excellent, and a couple of political history works about Pakistan. I'm trudging through Kilcullen's Counterinsurgency a bit, but my current main read is Jeff Sharlet's The Family, which is one of the most disturbing books I've ever read.

Back