• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

I'm finishing up the Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson.

The best review of the first book went something along the lines of "It's like Oceans 11, if they were trying to overthrow Sauron in Mordor after 1000 years of ruling". Highly recommended, couldn't put it down, etc.

estoguy said:
Another good book on a similar topic is Lewis Mackenzie's book Peacekeeper, which predates Dallaire's experience, and shows that not much really changed after Bosnia.  :facepalm:

Justed started this and picked up for a $1 a copy of "River of war" by Eric flint, an alternative history of the War of 1812. Enjoyed his other stuff so looking forward to this read.

Re-reading "The World According to Garp", having just re-read "A Prayer for Owen Meany".

And re: Stephen King:  if you haven't read all his work, he's writing them faster than you're reading them...

Colin P said:
As for "Shake hands with the devil" I felt like I was reading his confession

In some spots of the book, I agree.  Finished reading it and am now reading War in the Sun by James Lansdale Hodson.  It's an account of a British war correspondent's journey to the Middle East, India, Burma and West Africa during 1941-42.  The copy I have may be a first edition publishing (if there were more editions, I don't know).

PMedMoe said:
In some spots of the book, I agree.  Finished reading it and am now reading War in the Sun by James Lansdale Hodson.  It's an account of a British war correspondent's journey to the Middle East, India, Burma and West Africa during 1941-42.  The copy I have may be a first edition publishing (if there were more editions, I don't know).

Sounds interesting Moe - my grandad had a similar journey - but he went to India and Burma via Dunkirk...

Presently reading "Lone Survivor" by Marcus Luttrell, a USN SEAL who's patrol got zapped in Afghanistan.  Sooon to be followed by "Raylin" by Elmore Leonard...I got kind of hooked on "Justified"  :nod:.

MM

About halfway through "On Killing", a good read and informative about the psychological stressors and needs of combat soldiers.

medicineman said:
Sounds interesting Moe - my grandad had a similar journey - but he went to India and Burma via Dunkirk...

I thought so too, which is why I grabbed it when I saw it.  I like history from a personal point of view.  :nod:

PMedMoe said:
I thought so too, which is why I grabbed it when I saw it.  I like history from a personal point of view.  :nod:

If you like I'll dig out my copy of John Master's The Road Past Mandala, very similar.  Very similar first hand account. He was part of the Indian Division that fought in Iraq, and later in Syria and then was a Brigade Major and acting Brigade Commander of a Chindit Brigade.

Danjanou said:
If you like I'll dig out my copy of John Master's The Road Past Mandala, very similar.  Very similar first hand account. He was part of the Indian Division that fought in Iraq, and later in Syria and then was a Brigade Major and acting Brigade Commander of a Chindit Brigade.

Keep that in mind for when I'm back in TO.  Thanks.

Reading a few right now....just picked up some doozies!
The Sociopath Next Door - apparently 1 in 25 Americans have no conscience...it's essentially about being able to pick them out in your life.
Without Conscience - The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us - haven't gotten much further than the 1st chapter yet.
The Science of Evil - On Empathy and the Origins of Cruelty - this one sounds pretty interesting.

Danjanou said:

I loved his book on being a young officer going into the Indian army.

Colin P, you may enjoy these books:

Quartered Safe Out Here: A Harrowing Tale of World War II

George MacDonald Fraser—beloved for his series of Flashman historical novels—offers an action-packed memoir of his experiences in Burma during World War II.  Fraser was only 19 when he arrived there in the war’s final year, and he offers a first-hand glimpse at the camaraderie, danger, and satisfactions of service. A substantial Epilogue, occasioned by the 50th anniversary of VJ-Day in 1995, adds poignancy to a volume that eminent military historian John Keegan described as “one of the great personal memoirs of the Second World War.”

Unofficial History: Field-Marshal Sir William Slim

Slim's book is a gem of a military memoir which every student of the art of war and military leadership should have on his shelf. This is a book of reminiscences that covers his career from World War I to just before assuming command in Burma in World War II. Not only was Slim arguably superior to the much more famous Field Marshall Montgomery in World War II as great captain, but he was a delightful master of prose and a superb story-teller. I highly recommend this book.

Rifleman62 said:

George MacDonald Fraser—beloved for his series of Flashman historical novels—offers an action-packed memoir of his experiences in Burma during World War II.  Fraser was only 19 when he arrived there in the war’s final year, and he offers a first-hand glimpse at the camaraderie, danger, and satisfactions of service. A substantial Epilogue, occasioned by the 50th anniversary of VJ-Day in 1995, adds poignancy to a volume that eminent military historian John Keegan described as “one of the great personal memoirs of the Second World War.”

Unofficial History: Field-Marshal Sir William Slim

Slim's book is a gem of a military memoir which every student of the art of war and military leadership should have on his shelf. This is a book of reminiscences that covers his career from World War I to just before assuming command in Burma in World War II. Not only was Slim arguably superior to the much more famous Field Marshall Montgomery in World War II as great captain, but he was a delightful master of prose and a superb story-teller. I highly recommend this book.

Agree it was an effort to get a copy of GMF book but worth it. one can see where the MacAuslan trilogy comes from as well.

Bill Slim is probably one of the most underated Commanders of the war.

Rifleman62 said:

Concur - great "what's the war look like to #3 rifleman and the section commander" approach.

My wife is going to hate you guys at this rate!!  ;D I already have run out of book shelf space....

Delaney1986 said:
Reading a few right now....just picked up some doozies!
The Sociopath Next Door - apparently 1 in 25 Americans have no conscience...it's essentially about being able to pick them out in your life.
Without Conscience - The Disturbing World of the Psychopaths Among Us - haven't gotten much further than the 1st chapter yet.
The Science of Evil - On Empathy and the Origins of Cruelty - this one sounds pretty interesting.

Are you worried about yourself or someone else?

MM

Colin P said:
My wife is going to hate you guys at this rate!!  ;D I already have run out of book shelf space....

Oh I ran out long ago. I would need about an Ikea bookcase every 3 months and a new room every 9 months to keep pace.

A short while ago I finished A Matter of Honour: The Life, Campaigns and Generalship of Isaac Brock by Jonathon Riley.
Old Sweat did a bit of a review of this book here:
http://Forums.Army.ca/forums/threads/101782.0.html

I'm currently working on A Terrible Glory: Custer and the Little Bighorn by James Donovan.

Both are quite good.

A while back, someone here recommended a rather large, expensive book called The Falklands Then and Now.
Since I didn't have anything that covers the whole war, I ordered it. It just arrived last week.
It weighs almost as much as my Jeep and it was on the pricey side but at first glance it's well worth it.

Colin P and Danjanou - I share your pain (and am really dreading my next move...). 

Currently reading Arnhem 1944: The Airborne Battle by Martin Middlebrook.  As you can guess it is about the battle of Arnhem, this books concentrates on the fighting that occurred in the town of Arnhem as opposed to the entire Operation Market-Garden and is from the point of view of the British Soldier.

Once thing I found interesting, it was one of the few books I have read that mention the CANLOAN program.

Back