• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

PMedMoe said:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Hard to get into but now it's hard to put down.  I think I'll see the original movie before I see the "Hollywoodized" one.

Stick with it, it does get to be a better read. The second and third books are easier to get into right from the start.

cupper said:
Stick with it, it does get to be a better read.

Yep, as I said, I can hardly put it down now.

cupper said:
The second and third books are easier to get into right from the start.

Good to know, thanks.

PMedMoe said:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Hard to get into but now it's hard to put down.  I think I'll see the original movie before I see the "Hollywoodized" one.
After you finish that track down the Dragon with the Girl Tattoo.  Also a good read.

FlyingDutchman said:
After you finish that track down the Dragon with the Girl Tattoo.  Also a good read.

Roberts does eventually springboard from farce into a broader commentary on society, power and corruption. But it just seems to me that, in overturning Larsson's own dark worldview and characters, Roberts ultimately ends up delivering a parody with less bite than the original.

I'm ambivalent as to whether this kind of book is fair game or simply trading on another author's success while snapping at the hand that feeds you.

But perhaps that's beside the point. As with many other books, this is all about the art of the literary mash-up itself and the intellectual exercise of melding two disparate stories into one under a clever and marketable title – regardless of whether it has much new to add.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/books/the-dragon-with-the-girl-tattoo-20110314-1btrq.html

1491 by Charles C. Mann, great book, almost like "Guns Germs and Steel"

The Lost Symbol, by Dan Brown.

Only problem is that since I live in the DC area, I keep criticizing his geographical references. He really needs to either visit DC, or do a map recce before setting another book in DC.

But ironically, he dose point out that more Americans (college students in his book) have visited foreign countries than have visited their nation's capital.

The Outcast Dead by Graham McNeil

in the que;
Armageddon Crusade
Deliverance Lost
Iron Hands
Faith and Fire
Hammer and Anvil

few more I'd like to pick up (Promethean Sun, Aurelian  & Catechism of hate) but the publisher I get my books from decided it's cool to start selling limited edition books for $69, in limited quantites. Meaning after the 3000 books sell they start to pop up on Ebay for $150. Not cool.

Just finished this one;
The End: Hitler's Germany, 1944-45 by Ian Kershaw

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/aug/21/the-end-ian-kershaw-review

A bit slow at times but it does leave one with an understanding of the answer to the question posed by the title.

I just finished "the moon is down" by John Stienbeck

Just started "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett after reading the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones, etc) series.  PotE isn't nearly as bloody, but it doesn't have dragons.  So I guess it evens out.

Have two on the go: "Every Patient Tells a Story" and "The Lords of the North".

MM

I bought the third volume of James Ellroy's USA Underworld series "Blood's a Rover" a while back, but it had been so long since I had read the previous volumes, I decided to re-read them. Finished "American Tabloid" about 2 weeks ago, and I'm currently half-way through "The Cold Six Thousand".

Just done "The Patrol" and going to try "Beneath Hill 60", a WWI read.

ME

Jim Seggie said:
"The Great Depression" - No -its not a story about marriage. ;)

I'll bet it's about a big hole in the ground.  :christmas happy:

I'm re-reading Empire of the Summer Moon which is a history of the Comanche nation, especially after they got horses. They dominated the southern plains for decades. The Comanches halted the northern Spanish movement from Mexico and penned the French up in Louisiana as well as driving other Indian tribes off their land. At one stage, they not only stopped American westward expansion, they pushed the line of settlement in Texas back east 100-200 miles. They were bloodthirsty, brutal and ruthless. They also were probably the finest mounted fighters the world has seen. The Comanche threat led to the formation of the Texas Rangers, who had a 50% annual fatal casualty rate against them, and the invention of the .44 six-shooter to fight the mounted warriors. It's a good read.

Currently I've been reading "To lose a battle: France 1940" by Alistair Horne. It is absolutely fantastic. It concentrates almost entirely on the French side of affairs, which is very illuminating - he charts how their culture, politics, economy, doctrine and psychology had changed (for the worse) from Versaille Treaty to the disintegration of their army in May, 1940. Very long but gripping. I highly recommend it.

Just started "Three Day Road" by Joseph Boyden.  A first time novel which has been taking home prizes and rightfully so.  Can't put it down and already 1/3 through.

Back