• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

I collect medals and militaria, my passion is the Heeresverwaltungs (HV), these were the officials in the German forces in WW2, among  the careers were the Admin Personnel, Instructors at the schools and Barracks personnel, Paymasters, Judicial Officials, a myriad of technical trades, the Feldpost was a part as well.

I am in the process of starting to work my way through a 16 volume set with a 3 book set of amendments of the "Sammlung von Heeresverwaltung Verfügungen".

These contain the complete record of all army administration orders, decrees from the areas of cash, budget, grade, food, clothing, accommodation, construction, health and veterinary services with a detailed subject index of all previously published volumes from 1927 to the first half of 1942

In fraktur to boot :stars: ;D

Loud and Clear : The memoir of an Israeli Fighter Pilot by Iftach Spector

The first volume of Richard Gwynn's biography of Sir John A MacDonald.  It is a fascinating read.

Next up is Niall Ferguson's Civilization.  I love Christmas!

Reading "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.  I have watched the movie Gettysburg several times and have been meaning to read the book it was based on and am now finally getting around to it.

dangerboy said:
Reading "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara.  I have watched the movie Gettysburg several times and have been meaning to read the book it was based on and am now finally getting around to it.

The book is a pretty good read, but the author has been accused of being unfair to Lee. Let's just say that there were other reasons besides his generalship for the Army of Northern Virginia to have lost a battle that could have been won.

Doing pure leisure reading now that my BA is completed. Just finished Theo Fleury's Playing with Fire and I'm now reading James Duthie's The Day I (almost) Killed Two Gretzky's

Fleury's bio was brutally honest and at certain times touching. Those who know of James Duthie's antics will agree that his book is hilarious and offers a few life lessons between all the satires.

"The Civil War" by Shelby Foote (three volumes). Just ordered a Civil War atlas off EBay to complement it and make following the battles a bit easier.

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George RR Martin.  I hope to get season 1 of Game of Thrones when it comes out on DVD.

Picked up a ragged copy of "fusiliers" by the same author of Sharpes, cost me $3 at Sally Ann. Will read it on the trip to SHOT

Colin P said:
Picked up a ragged copy of "fusiliers" by the same author of Sharpes, cost me $3 at Sally Ann. Will read it on the trip to SHOT

If it is the one I am thinking of by Mark Urban, it is a good read. I enjoyed the book.

Have just started "The Sisters Brothers" by Patrick deWitt. 

Colin P said:
Urban wrote "Rifles" Bernard Cornwell wrote "Sharpe's Rifles" Both good authors and very easy to read. I have a copy of Rifles at home and it's very well reseached and written.

Hard book to describe but I found it a real page turner. I'll let the Washington Post do the honours.

The Orphan Master's Son

“A great novel can take implausible fact and turn it into entirely believable fiction. That’s the genius of The Orphan Master’s Son.  Adam Johnson has taken the papier-mâché creation that is North Korea and turned it into a real and riveting place that readers will find unforgettable. This is a novel worth getting excited about, one which more than delivers on its pre-publication buzz… I haven’t liked a new novel this much in years, and I want to share the simple pleasure of reading the book. But I also think it’s an instructive lesson in how to paint a fictional world against a background of fact: The secret is research…It’s this process of re-imagination that makes the fictional locale so real and gives the novel an impact you could never achieve with a thousand newspaper stories. Johnson has painted in indelible colors the nightmare of Kim’s North Korea. When English readers want to understand what it was about — how people lived and died inside a cult of personality that committed unspeakable crimes against its citizens — I hope they will turn to this carefully documented story. The happy surprise is that they will find it such a page turner.” —The Washington Post

http://www.amazon.ca/Orphan-Masters-Son-Novel/dp/0812992792/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329054084&sr=1-1#_

"The Civil War" by Shelby Foote (three volumes). Just ordered a Civil War atlas off EBay to complement it and make following the battles a bit easier. 

An atlas is a great idea, i am also keenly interested in the civil war and events that led up to it.  I have also enjoyed watching the Ken Burns documentaries.  I'll be visiting Gettysburg in May, which atlas did you pick up if you don't mind me asking ? further pre study would be a good idea.

I am currently reading "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall.  it's a book about barefoot running, the history and science to it.  Interesting compliment to my Vibrams FF's

cheers,

PV

mod for spelling error

Picked up the four book set of Game of Thrones from Chapters as a Christmas present.  Only slightly less than $20!!  On book three now A Storm of Swords.  I'm impressed that the first season on HBO stuck to the book very closely.  Season two should be outstanding.

Back