• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

Re-reading Parliament of Whores, by P.J O'Rourke.  Next up - Spike Milligan's seven-volume remembrance of the Second World War.

Just finished Contact Charlie by Chris Wattie

http://www.amazon.ca/Contact-Charlie-Canadian-Taliban-Afghanistan/dp/1554700841

I recommend it.

Moe I think we all had to read  that one in Grade 11.  8)

Currently working on At Home by Bill Bryson.

Bryson's a really fun guy to read. He wanders seemingly at random through historical trivia but he's got that "gift of gab" so his books are filled with interesting facts and are downright enjoyable. Kinda like junk food that's actually good for you... 
The first one of his books I read was A Short History of Nearly Everything. Someone asked me to read it (it was a gift to him from his wife) and tell him what I thought of it -and it looked kind of intimidating at first, but Bryson just draws you in right from the start. I can't recommend his books highly enough.

I did however, put At Home down, long enough to rip through World War Z by Max Brooks (author of The Zombie Survival Guide). It's a must-read for zombie fans. (The only reason I set Bryson's book aside was because of requests to borrow WWZ when I was through with it). 

The Gathering Storm - Winston Churchill

First volume of six in his memoir of the events leading up to WW2 and the circumstances that directly caused it. Haven't gotten too far yet...but I'm impressed so far with the  fluidity of his storytelling. Even the dry passages are easy to read.

any criticism/praise?

Picked up "Golden Budda" by Clive Cussler at a garage sale, I was hoping he would try to be somwwhat realistic, but he seems to be on some pretty heavy drugs. I will finish it because it's the only book I brought with me, but I am dearly wanting my 50cents back.

I've given up on Cussler and the others, like Clancy, that put their name on the book, but it's written by someone else. Like they're some sort of writing coach or something. ::)

I buy them for air travel where I want to pass time and shut my brain off, even then this was a fantasy to far.

recceguy said:
I've given up on Cussler and the others, like Clancy, that put their name on the book, but it's written by someone else. Like they're some sort of writing coach or something. ::)
Agree  :mad: - Ludlum does this now, too - and more like "franchise" to make more bucks with less work....

Since Robert Ludlum died in 2001 at least when I see a new book with his name on it I can be fairly sure he did not write it. There are a few writers out that I am not sure who actually writes the book. they are like the Hardy Boy books writen by ”Franklin W Dixon”.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Hard to get into but now it's hard to put down.  I think I'll see the original movie before I see the "Hollywoodized" one.

Game of Thrones by George Martin, haven't seen the series, but picked up the book at the urge of a friend. It's highly addictive!

PMedMoe said:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.  Hard to get into but now it's hard to put down.  I think I'll see the original movie before I see the "Hollywoodized" one.

Just be warned there is a scene in the movie that is quite graphic.

dangerboy said:
Just be warned there is a scene in the movie that is quite graphic.

So I've heard.  If it's anything like the scene in the book, I can only imagine.

A Nightmare's Prayer: A Marine Harrier Pilot's War in Afghanistan, by Michael Franzak

Previous one: Fighter Pilot, by the man, the legend, Robin Olds.

After reading both Contact Charlie and Sunray last week I needed something a little lighter. Started on the Virgin Soldiers trilogy by Leslie Thomas.

Back