• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wanted: Someone to plan, develop next CF recruiting ad campaign

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Some highlights from the Statement of Work (PDF) from this MERX posting:
.... Moving forward, the focus of advertising messaging will shift with the evolving focus of Canada's military. Ongoing recruitment continues to be the priority and the emphasis will change to accurately reflect the reality of life in the CF. As Fight portrays the CF with a combat focus, and Priority Occupations promotes specific careers, future advertisement campaigns propose to showcase the CF's readiness and proficiency in humanitarian efforts and domestic defence and support.  The readiness message should demonstrate that CF personnel are trained and the right equipment and necessary infrastructure are available when and where it is needed.

(....)

CAMPAIGN MESSAGES

All messages for each advertising campaign must be consistent with the annual Canadian Forces Marketing Approach that is produced by DMA. Some of the existing messages, which the Canadian Forces uses in its communication and public affairs activities and products, are found below.

These messages may be modified during the course of the contract. Key recruiting messages are:
(a) The Canadian Forces is a first-class, professional employer that offers rewarding and challenging careers with competitive pay and benefits;
(b) A career with the Canadian Forces can take many forms: long-term or short-term; full-time or part-time;
(c) A career in the Canadian Forces can span several decades or a few years, it is your choice;
(d) A part-time career allows you to combine the experience and benefits of a military life with academic study or a civilian career;
(e) There are more than 100 different career opportunities in the Canadian Forces; (and)
(f) The Canadian Forces is an inclusive workplace that is working to reflect Canadian society - we welcome men and women from all ethnic and cultural backgrounds.

A.6 AUDIENCES
The target audiences for CF recruitment comprise two distinct groups:

(a) Primary target audience: Canadians 18 to 34 years old

- 18 to 24 years old, predominantly males, with high school or college degree, who are interested in risk and adventure;
- 25 to 34 years old, males and females in post-secondary institutions, and college and university graduates who seek to find some employment that meets their desire to serve their community and/or country;

(b) Secondary target audience: Influencers and Intermediaries

- Influencers: parents, career counsellors, coaches, other individuals who play a role in the career decisions of the target audiences;

- Intermediaries: organizations with whom CF has a partnership for recruitment purposes.

(....)

Key recruiting messages are...
Obviously they weren't drafted by any of the newer/recurring posters to this site's Recruiting threads.

I see no mention of:
a) Not remotely qualified, but hey, you're "entitled";
b) May skip all training and go right to fighter pilot and/or JTF2 if you rock at X-Box;
c) Bonus pay available for successfully completing CFAT;
d) NEthing else u sick dudez want lol kool?

NOTE TO POTENTIAL RECRUITS:
This is mocking -- it is not official CF recruiting policy; do not go to a CFRC and say "but dude, I read on Army.ca that...."

e) grammer and speeling skillz opshunal

That part is true Occam...I wish I could show you an e-mail I got this morning.

"Thanks, we've got the ethnic marketing covered for now" - this from the latest amendment/Q&A (attached):
Question 9:  Will there be an ethnic marketing component considered for the Advertising Creative Services contract that will be awarded?  If not, will there be a separate RFP for the ethnic marketing component if it is being considered?

Answer 9:  DND/CF is currently working on an ethnic campaign under a separate contract until the end of March 2012.  An ethnic campaign will likely continue to be a part of the overall recruitment campaign.

They're going about this backwards (Kind of like the "Fight" commercials which had a great build up, but the payoff was often jarring like the RIB of heavily armed sailors screaming off to...hand out bottled water).

Just ask potential recruits:

"Do you have what it takes? Find out. Enlist with the Canadian Armed Forces"

(I'll be happy with the suggestion award cash bonus; there saved taxpayers a bundle as well)

Why don't we just go back to "Do you like camping ?" and be done with it.........it worked well...........

The first thing that came to mind with this was "We want you, we want you, we want you as a new recruit."

I am impressed by the current crop of commercials, although I think the CF might want to consider youtube ads.

Thucydides said:
They knew how to do it back when.....
But they didn't go far enough.

Do you have what it takes to be a citizen?

starshiptroopers2.jpg

;D

Journeyman said:

;D

So all they needed was Neil Patrick Harris to prevent the Conscription Crisis? ;D

rmc_wannabe said:
So all they needed was Neil Patrick Harris to prevent the Conscription Crisis? ;D
Well, I would have gone for Dina Meyer or Denise Richards....but I'm not judging.  :whistle:

I suggest we need to target distressed occupations or, better yet, a distressed environment.

We can leverage the current advertising trends towards retro look and feel, and merely license this:

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DInBXu-iY7cw&sa=U&ei=4mSMTqvmOeLI0AG1_KjHBA&ved=0CBoQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHr4HFMDd0tVngymjqsKsEpumzWYg

dapaterson said:
I suggest we need to target distressed occupations or, better yet, a distressed environment.

We can leverage the current advertising trends towards retro look and feel, and merely license this:

http://www.google.ca/url?q=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DInBXu-iY7cw&sa=U&ei=4mSMTqvmOeLI0AG1_KjHBA&ved=0CBoQtwIwAA&usg=AFQjCNHr4HFMDd0tVngymjqsKsEpumzWYg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTYEOAX3sjM (this one isn't copyright blocked in Canada)
I kinda like this version better  ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTwq1_9VH68

We should pay video game companies to design our recruiting commercials.

Grimaldus said:
We should pay video game companies to design our recruiting commercials.

Mario = Army

Luigi = Navy

Princess = Air Force

Goomba = Purple trades

FlyingDutchman said:
....So we have to jump on the heads of the Purple Trades people?

Seems like that sometimes at Clothing Stores  ;D

Journeyman said:

Do you have what it takes to be a citizen?

starshiptroopers2.jpg

;D

I just finished that book last night, a small part of me dies every time I'm reminded of the abomination of a movie.

Back