• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Occupational Transfer ( VOT )

Also, you could contact the PSO desk and mention you are deployed from X to Y.  If you've been dealing with a specific PSO, you could also ask him/her if it is possible for you to receive notification from them via your civie email that your message arrived "so you know".

I'm assuming you're worried that the message will come with a "must accept by date XX" part and you'll *lose* your OT...nothing new, it's not like units have never screwed at OT offer up before. 

Precisely,

Also, when responding to your offer. Is that done via email or does any formal paperwork need to be signed at a psp office? Once the offer is accepted, what is the usual procedure afterwards with regards to clearing out of your unit and into your new trade?

Once I got my VOT Offer message, IIRC the reply was done via an additional VOT Acceptance message that went to a email address.

After that, the next thing you'll get is your VOT Instruction.  It will have all the details on it; rank, pay, eff date, etc.  What you can expect is to be posted to the closest BTL to await training in your new trade.  Whatever the eff date is on your VOT Instruction is the day you are no longer an X, you are now an O.  ;D

If you are changing DEU, you should be able to start that stuff once you have a copy of your VOT Instruction message.

Well, we shall see how it goes. I don't see myself getting new Deus while in a hooch in wainwright lll. We leave April 14th. I'm assuming if an offer is made, it will be from mid April to mid may.

congrats and nice to see people are starting to get offers...what trade did you get if you don't mind us asking?

Eye In The Sky said:
congrats and nice to see people are starting to get offers...what trade did you get if you don't mind us asking?

OP: Sabaton

Mse op in navy uniform
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/125823/post-1489321.html#msg1489321

One of my former MS has applied for AES Op what with the amalgamation of the MSE trades.  Another started his Bos'n QL3 this past week.  I think the only thing really holding the younger guys back is the potential loss of Spec pay if they do leave.  Nobody is happy with this travesty, including me.  I'm thankful to be inland and at the end of my career span.

Hi there,

A little about me: I'm a highschool graduate, with my heart set upon a career with the Canadian Forces. I'm extremely physically fit, bright, ambitious and dedicated. I'm a fast learner, with a good level head on my shoulders and a love for a good physical and mental challenge.

I'm currently applying to the ROTP and hoping to attend at RMC next Fall. I've been pre-selected, written and aced the CFAT, and am now waiting to hear back from the recruiting centre about dates for next steps. After boundless hours of research and deliberation, I'm still having trouble deciding upon my chosen career path, with my final deliberation being between pilot (specifically rotary) and infantry officer. I also have a definite interest/ambition of working towards joining CANSOFCOM (CSOR, JTF2, etc.)

Is there anyone out there who might be able to offer me a little guidance, and shed some additional light on the key distinctions between these two career paths, their inherent lifestyles, pros/cons of each, etc. and help me better make the decision between the two?

Much thanks.

P.S. The other post here on army.ca with the same topic headline of "Pilot vs. Infantry Officer" doesn't quite have the same answers/information that I'm looking for

dakotachristensen said:
Is there anyone out there who might be able to offer me a little guidance, and shed some additional light on the key distinctions between these two career paths, their inherent lifestyles, pros/cons of each, etc. and help me better make the decision between the two?

The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12744.0
55 pages.

Infantry Officer
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mi9RWZCcENGR8QfMn6rYAg&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1498492827469

dakotachristensen said:
I also have a definite interest/ambition of working towards joining CANSOFCOM (CSOR, JTF2, etc.)

CANSOFCOM
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mi9RWZCcENGR8QfMn6rYAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+cansofcom&spf=1498492827472

CSOR
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mi9RWZCcENGR8QfMn6rYAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+csor&spf=1498492827474

JTF2
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+%22infantry+officer%22&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mi9RWZCcENGR8QfMn6rYAg&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+jtf2&spf=1498492827476

One flies a bunch, and sometimes carries the other in the back of his machine.

One walks and runs a bunch, and sometimes rides in the back of the other's machine.

But seriously, please take the time and explore this Site and read the pertinent older threads herein - there's a ton of valuable information available to you already.

There is no need to re-state what has been written before; it only wastes others' valuable time, adds clutter which makes it more challenging for people to search through, and deprives you of the opportunity to learn as you go.

Apply for both. Undergo the selection processes - you may or may not qualify for both. Should you pass Aircrew Selection and proceed onto flying training, you will experience, among other things, a phenomenal amount of homework. You may as well start to get used to that early.

Along the way, you will stumble across answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

dakotachristensen said:
Hi there,

A little about me: I'm a highschool graduate, with my heart set upon a career with the Canadian Forces. I'm extremely physically fit, bright, ambitious and dedicated. I'm a fast learner, with a good level head on my shoulders and a love for a good physical and mental challenge.

I'm currently applying to the ROTP and hoping to attend at RMC next Fall. I've been pre-selected, written and aced the CFAT, and am now waiting to hear back from the recruiting centre about dates for next steps. After boundless hours of research and deliberation, I'm still having trouble deciding upon my chosen career path, with my final deliberation being between pilot (specifically rotary) and infantry officer. I also have a definite interest/ambition of working towards joining CANSOFCOM (CSOR, JTF2, etc.)

Much thanks.

P.S. The other post here on army.ca with the same topic headline of "Pilot vs. Infantry Officer" doesn't quite have the same answers/information that I'm looking for

You could always just do what lots of others have in the past: try for pilot then, when you fail out, go Infantry and make a real difference (cringing now, waiting for incoming :))

Loachman said:
One flies a bunch, and sometimes carries the other in the back of his machine.

One walks and runs a bunch, and sometimes rides in the back of the other's machine.

But seriously, please take the time and explore this Site and read the pertinent older threads herein - there's a ton of valuable information available to you already.

There is no need to re-state what has been written before; it only wastes others' valuable time, adds clutter which makes it more challenging for people to search through, and deprives you of the opportunity to learn as you go.

Apply for both. Undergo the selection processes - you may or may not qualify for both. Should you pass Aircrew Selection and proceed onto flying training, you will experience, among other things, a phenomenal amount of homework. You may as well start to get used to that early.

Along the way, you will stumble across answers to questions that have not even occurred to you yet.

I'd go with this.

Put Pilot down as #1, Inf O as #2. You'll have to go to the Aircrew Selection during the application process (aptitude and the most in-depth assessment medical you'll ever get), and the pass rate is about 30%, so if you don't make the cut you can go Infantry Officer where after university you'll do your Infantry Officer courses and also face a low pass rate (believe it or not, Infantry Officer is not an easy job and the training is quite demanding both mentally and physically)

We were told, during my early flying training, that one out of every eight hundred applicants receives his (and now her, too) Wings.

That number has not likely changed.

It is more than worth pursuing, and more than worth the effort.

RADOPSIGOPACISSOP said:
I'd go with this.

Put Pilot down as #1, Inf O as #2. You'll have to go to the Aircrew Selection during the application process (aptitude and the most in-depth assessment medical you'll ever get), and the pass rate is about 30%, so if you don't make the cut you can go Infantry Officer where after university you'll do your Infantry Officer courses and also face a low pass rate (believe it or not, Infantry Officer is not an easy job and the training is quite demanding both mentally and physically)

For clarity, the pass rate for DP 1.1 (Commonly known as Phase 3, or Dismounted Platoon Commander Course) usually hovers around a 50% failure rate, though I've been told it has gotten a little better since I attended.  It remains a very demanding course.  Failure rates for the other courses required to become qualified are not as high, but none of the courses are "easy".

Best guess (and I don't have the hard numbers for it) - I'd say about 1:3 to 1:4 make it through all aspects of training to become fully qualified (from Enrollment to qualified that is).

As far as your interest in CANSOFCOM, it entirely depends on what kind of role you want to do with that Organization (IE, Pilot?  Assaulter? other?).  CANSOFCOM encompasses a number of organizations and each of them have their own requirements for manning.  I'd focus more on completing the initial training process and getting qualified for the CAF however. 

Good luck!

Ayrsayle said:
Best guess (and I don't have the hard numbers for it) - I'd say about 1:3 to 1:4 make it through all aspects of training to become fully qualified (from Enrollment to qualified that is).

I've heard 1 out of 13 which I thought was pretty realistic. This brings up a good sidebar though... do our HR people track this stuff? I'd love to see the numbers. You'd think they would have to have a pretty good idea.... or maybe they don't and that's why we always seem to be massively under or massively over PMLs.

Back