• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Occupational Transfer ( VOT )

mmj32 said:
Hello everyone.

I became qualified in my current trade about a year ago. It wasn't my first choice, but I decided to give it a shot regardless - maybe I'd love it. A year later and I'm still not really happy with what I'm doing.

I've been thinking about a VOT to either of my first two choices when I first applied (would NOT require a component or commissioning transfer). I've heard that I am not allowed to even request a transfer within 3 years of completing training. I am really not interested in doing this another 2 years. I really tried to give it a shot and had no interest in failing my training on purpose. I also want to still be beneficial to the CAF. I see my only options as:

1) Wait out the 2 years in a trade I don't want to do anymore.
2) Quit the CAF.

I'm not really interested in doing either and I'm feeling like I got trapped in this job, granted it's my fault for accepting. Again, I didn't want to completely dismiss this trade right off the bat so I wanted to give it a shot. I'm doing what's asked. I enjoy the people I work with. I am positive and don't complain about my position at work.

Really, my question is whether or not I have other options? Is this rule somewhat flexible?

Thank you.

** Admin, please point me in the direction to post this if this topic does not belong here.

Depending on your current TOS option 2 might not be an option for you. You can't just quit the military whenever you want. I know certain forum members here even with variable TOS where their Occupation Manager said they couldn't leave until for 6 months (because technically they were allowed to hold him for 6 months). On a IE-5 you may have to serve the rest of your TOS regardless.

I'm confused on something, how is it possible to apply for Pilot as #1 choice and Infantry Officer as #2? When applying online, Pilot is only given to those choosing RCAF and infantry to those who chose Army. Is this something you let the recruiter know before sending application? Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks

TheHaddadz said:
I'm confused on something, how is it possible to apply for Pilot as #1 choice and Infantry Officer as #2? When applying online, Pilot is only given to those choosing RCAF and infantry to those who chose Army. Is this something you let the recruiter know before sending application? Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks

Because everything is integrated in the Canadian Armed Forces. You can have a mix of Army, Navy and Air Force trades as your choices. However, your trade choices have to be all Officer or all NCM. You can't mix NCM and Officer trade choices on he application.

As well, you could see Army Supply Techs in Air Force units and Navy Cooks in Army field units.

The trifecta would be something like:

1. PLT
2. INF
3. MARS

;D

I'm sure that somewhere in CAF recruiting history, that may have happened. :nod:

Regards
G2G

Good2Golf said:

1. PLT
2. INF
3. MARS

;D

I'm sure that somewhere in CAF recruiting history, that may have happened. :nod:

Regards
G2G

It's usually:

1. Pilot
2. MARS
3. Armoured

There's just something about us "PLT-MARS-ARMD" types that wants to be riding a death bringer into battle and not to actually be the death bringer marching into battle.

Marching sucks.

Good2Golf said:

1. PLT
2. INF
3. MARS

;D

Regards
G2G

Unless you're in the reserves where infantry is where all the glory/gory lies :)

Anybody know if the following trades are open for OT:

Plumbing and heating tech
WFE Tech
Traffic Tech
ED tech
EGS Tech

The AVOTP message came out yesterday, I did not see any of those trades (or any at all) listed as closed for VOT.

Hey all,

I checked and couldn't find any threads that answer my question here.

I am just about to do my interview and Medical to join as a Combat Engineer Reservist, I am going to be doing an EMT course at a civilian school next year, and if I had it my way I would remuster as a reservist med tech, once I finish the EMT program.

Do any of you think that it would be possible to do that? I have also heard about people quitting the reserves to reapply as a civilian to join a new trade, is that feasible either do any of you think?

Thanks! 

Hank V. said:
I have also heard about people quitting the reserves to reapply as a civilian to join a new trade, is that feasible either do any of you think?

See,

Getting Back In/Re-enrolling Mega Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/294.475
37 pages.

mariomike said:
See,

Getting Back In/Re-enrolling Mega Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/294.475
37 pages.

Awesome thank you, do you know muh about remustering as a reservist?

Hank V. said:
Hey all,

I checked and couldn't find any threads that answer my question here.

I am just about to do my interview and Medical to join as a Combat Engineer Reservist, I am going to be doing an EMT course at a civilian school next year, and if I had it my way I would remuster as a reservist med tech, once I finish the EMT program.

Do any of you think that it would be possible to do that?

It is possible, but there are some things to consider.  Of course, you'd have to meet the entry criteria (education, fitness, CFAT).  Also in the Reserves for an OT, there has to be a spot in the unit and trade you want to OT into;  not all units are going to have Med Techs and not all units that have Med Techs are going to have opening.

So, yes it is possible and there are a handful of regulations that might not make sense to you at this point, but the stuff above I posted is the nuts and bolts of Reserve OTs.  They are possible, but all the ducks have to line up.

I have also heard about people quitting the reserves to reapply as a civilian to join a new trade, is that feasible either do any of you think?

Thanks!

If you are PRes and want to stay PRes but OT, I'd say to stay in and apply that way;  if you want to go Reg Force Med Tech from PRes Engr...that's a different story.  Generally speaking, Component Transfers are SLOW not fast.  Again not something to worry about now though.

I accepted my VOT this year.  COS was July 13, 2017.  PLAR was granted on October 5, 2017.  It is not showing on my MPRR.  Any one have a rough idea when this shows and how long for a posting message?  The BTL is severely undermanned and not able to give details

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello all.

Hoping I can get some general answers here before I follow through, if I follow through. Questions are, I have finished BMQ was granted rank of LS or Cpl (plar) due to previous history along with approved hour for hour education and experience in my field, been in for just over a year now TOS is 4 years, as a marine engineer (Navy, Mar Tech) and thinking of switching to Vehicle tech (Army)... is it possible? approx how long can it take to process?, do you loose rank/pay?

Thank you in advance for any reply's.

RoosterQ said:
Hello all.

Hoping I can get some general answers here before I follow through, if I follow through. Questions are, I have finished BMQ was granted rank of LS or Cpl (plar) due to previous history along with approved hour for hour education and experience in my field, been in for just over a year now TOS is 4 years, as a marine engineer (Navy, Mar Tech) and thinking of switching to Vehicle tech (Army)... is it possible? approx how long can it take to process?, do you loose rank/pay?

Thank you in advance for any reply's.

Try having a read of these, they might already have the info you're looking for.  Short version...if you're already completed your QL3 level training, you are likely going to be bound to the 48 months of service to apply for a VOT out of your current trade, if you aren't complete your QL3 you can request a MOC reassignment and it may/may not be approved.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/21109/post-1495827.html#msg1495827

https://army.ca/forums/threads/23075/post-1512459.html#msg1512459

If you received accelerated Acting LS promotion and pay and a PLAR for V Tech didn't result as favourably, yes you might loose that Acting rank and drop down in pay.  Lots of 'ifs'.

I applied for a VOT to Intelligence Officer. The BPSO mentioned that the selection board in Ottawa would meet in December. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if the selection board has met, and what the timeframe would be for sending out messages regarding whether the application was a success or rejected.

Was there any of that info contained in the OVOTP competition message...if you still have a copy?  It usually gave a timeline "WAG"...

Hey everyone.

This message is in regards to the BPSO interview and the scoring matrix. My interview is coming up and I had a few questions and comments. This response is towards "Eye in the Sky", "Andraste", and "DrSize"'s comments back in 2016.

DrSize had said

"Your overall score is broken down as follows:

CFAT - 60%
Interview (experience, leadership etc) - 25%
Personality Test - 15%"

I was wondering if this is still true today? I know I can probably ask my BPSO, but having the knowledge now will rest my nerves before the interview.

From the chat, it sounds as if Andraste is a BPSO. And I know you cant/wont divulge the interview questions, but I am curious as to the type of questions asked. I feel I know the trade I am trying to enter quite well in terms of possible posting locations, the type of equipment worked on, a bit on the types of deployments, training up to and including OJTP. Also I listed the skills and knowledge that I have that would help towards the new trade.

Anyways, any advice and information would be appreciated. Also, my interview falls on DWAD (Dress with a difference/wear civies day), and although the PSO office receptionist assured me that as long as my clothing meets the standards, I am fine to wear civies, I feel I should wear my uniform anyways. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance to whomever responds.

Hey everyone

Had the BPSO meeting today.  Everything went very smoothly. My aptitude test score was very high from when I did it back during the application to join the military, scored almost 100% on personality test and the BPSO said I did fantastic on the interview. So now I get to join in on the waiting that I have seen on this thread every year haha. Hurrah!

Back