• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US vs Canada

Jarnhamar said:
Word on the street is the USA is looking at lessening some of the restrictions on importing various restricted firearm parts and items to Canada.

That seems nationally important.

Could you specify, Jarnhamar? Either you meant to use "exporting" instead of "importing", or to use "from Canada" instead of "to Canada".

Thanks.

You would need to follow Canadian law.

http://www.borderview.com/faq/steps-for-importing-a-firearm-into-canada/

I understand that, T6. I am just trying to figure out Jarnhamar's facts.

For instance, he says "word on the street is the US is looking..." Is the "street" he is talking about the street in the US or in Canada? As drafted, it could be either. Then the inversion in the meaning of "importing' and "to". You can "import from" or "export to", so it's a mixed meaning. So I am just trying to understand what he means to say.

And obviously, if the USA want's to lessen the restrictions on exporting restricted arms to Canada, it would not do much unless Canada relaxes it's own rules regarding imports into Canada of said arms.

I haven't read anything yet that supports his statement.I would think that Canadian law right now unless its for police or CAF use only would be his stumbling block but I am not an expert on Canadian law.

Jarnhamar said:
Word on the street is the USA is looking at lessening some of the restrictions on importing various restricted firearm parts and items to Canada.

ITAR restrictions, because god forbid that a Canadian ISIS member gets hold of grip screws for a Sig (I kid you not, they were on the list at one point) ITAR is the best gift that the US could have given China.

Jarnhamar said:

Whew... thank GAWD we've all done our CTAT certification  ::)

For instance, he says "word on the street is the US is looking..." Is the "street" he is talking about the street in the US or in Canada? As drafted, it could be either. Then the inversion in the meaning of "importing' and "to". You can "import from" or "export to", so it's a mixed meaning. So I am just trying to understand what he means to say.

And obviously, if the USA want's to lessen the restrictions on exporting restricted arms to Canada, it would not do much unless Canada relaxes it's own rules regarding imports into Canada of said arms.

The restrictions are virtually all on the USA side. A Canadian PAL holder can import pretty much any legal firearm or firearm part per Canadian law with no specific import license. It is the USA export restriction which have impeded the flow of goods from USA to Canada since shortly after 9/11.

If the USA relaxes ITAR yet further (there was already a slight ease a few years back) it would go a long way to making things easier on Canadian sport shooters and hunters.

[quote author=Oldgateboatdriver]So I am just trying to understand what he means to say.
[/quote]

It's going to be easier for Canadian gun owners to get their hands on firearm parts from the USA.

https://gov-relations.com/itar/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Traffic_in_Arms_Regulations
https://digitalguardian.com/blog/what-itar-compliance

'Word on the street' means a rumor currently being discussed. It's an expression.
It isn't an actual street in Canada OR the USA  ;)

Oldgateboatdriver said:

It is currently, under US law, illegal to take certain firearms parts and ammo from the States. Let's use AR-15 barrels or even just ammo. Illegal to remove from the States without proper authorization and paperwork.

So, I cannot export barrels and ammo from the States*. However, next door at CBSA, I can import 5000 rounds of non prohibited ammo for personal use without an import permit.

Stay with me a bit longer. Ammo is administered under the Explosives Act, not the firearms act (a little ufi).

Almost any firearm part, with exception of prohibited items (suppressors), auto firearm parts (uzi bolt) or pistol barrels under 10.5 cm, can be imported into Canada without permits. A complete AR-15 minus the lower stripped receiver won't get you a second glance. Duty yes, illegal to import, no.

Getting them out of the States is the problem. Right now, the US is very strict about what leaves the country. You get caught in an exit check by US border enforcement, with that same AR-15 basket case, you are going to jail. You are losing whatever you're carrying and what is carrying you. When you get out, it's likely the last time you'll be in the states.

They started letting stuff through, without permits, if total value is less than, I think, $100 done by mail order from a FFL holder (Wilson Combat, Cabelas). Optics same thing. Canada Customs doesn't care if you import them, but the US certainly does care about you exporting them though.

Clear as mud? ;D

* - most anything can be exported if the paperwork and fees are in order. We're talking about going into Cabelas, in Ohio, buying milspec AR-15 furniture and taking it from the States and bringing it into Canada.

The first is illegal, the second is not.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4276199/americans-justin-trudeau-trade-spat-donald-trump-poll/amp/

Most Canadians and Americans approve of how Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is handling the situation on tariffs, trade and U.S. President Donald Trump.

That’s according to two Ipsos polls, for Global News and Reuters.

The poll shows that Canadians are firmly on Trudeau’s side — with about three-quarters of respondents (72 per cent) saying they approve of how he’s handling the situation. Only 14 per cent of Canadian respondents said the same about Trump.

As for Americans, 57 per cent of respondents approved of how Canada is handling the dispute — while only 37 per cent said they approved of how Trump was doing.
Donald Trump may be the best thing to ever happen to Trudeau.

Altair said:

I was just saying the same thing to a colleague today. I have noticed that several people have changed their perspective and views on Mr. Trudeau recently.

How long that lasts remains to be seen though.

Altair said:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/globalnews.ca/news/4276199/americans-justin-trudeau-trade-spat-donald-trump-poll/amp/

That is what I am afraid of. The Liberal Party will,wrap themselves in the flag and do some really stupid crap, because suddenly, being critical of the government will = supporting Trump.

It is possible to be critical of how this government has handled both foreign policy and trade relations with the US without also being a Trump supporter.

SeaKingTacco said:
That is what I am afraid of. The Liberal Party will,wrap themselves in the flag and do some really stupid crap, because suddenly, being critical of the government will = supporting Trump.

It is possible to be critical of how this government has handled both foreign policy and trade relations with the US without also being a Trump supporter.
Sure,  but one must admit,  Trump is a perfect foil.

His dramatic undiplomatic over reaction and flying off the handle mixed with targeting canada and others as trade cheats is making trudeau into a reasonable captain canada in comparison.

US Ambassador gets death threat and white substance found in package.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-16/canadian-officials-rush-to-support-u-s-envoy-after-death-threat

SeaKingTacco said:

A wicked distraction for the Liberals. They must be pretty happy right now.

Altair said:
Conversely, karma may be rubbing its hands together;  given the track record of those affiliated with Trump, having him as BFF and trusted ally may be the worst thing that happens to Kim. :pop:

But for Canada, what if this stupidity really  escalates..... and they send back Justin Bieber!  :'(

Journeyman said:
Conversely, karma may be rubbing its hands together;  given the track record of those affiliated with Trump, having him as BFF and trusted ally may be the worst thing that happens to Kim. :pop:

But for Canada, what if this stupidity really  escalates..... and they send back Justin Bieber!  :'(

Or nickelback?

Back