• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

The RCMP have a technique to polish their high browns and Sam Browne that essentially makes them permanently polished.
So did I - it was called Leather Lustre.

I have heard of the hot spoon technique and others (aren't the Strathcona boots initially pebbled?) I had an old RCMP Same Browne set that seemed pretty decent but I have heard that the leather quality of newer versions are pretty grim.

The OPP went to nylon for its duty belt and attachments but apparently have gone back to leather. Everything will eventually look like crap if you don't take care of it, no matter what it's made from.

I have heard of the hot spoon technique and others (aren't the Strathcona boots initially pebbled?) I had an old RCMP Same Browne set that seemed pretty decent but I have heard that the leather quality of newer versions are pretty grim.

The OPP went to nylon for its duty belt and attachments but apparently have gone back to leather. Everything will eventually look like crap if you don't take care of it, no matter what it's made from.

The issue I have with LL is that the salvagability of the item once its scuffed or worn makes it a lot less fault tolerant than a traditional polish. This instagramer gives a pretty solid tutorial on how to ensure a proper shine when working on leather items.

Like most things, cutting corners doesn't make a circle, just a fucked up looking octagonal shape

The issue I have with LL is that the salvagability of the item once its scuffed or worn makes it a lot less fault tolerant than a traditional polish. This instagramer gives a pretty solid tutorial on how to ensure a proper shine when working on leather items.

Like most things, cutting corners doesn't make a circle, just a fucked up looking octagonal shape
Meh, LL with a bit of weathering will still look better than 90% of current wearers of oxfords.

Meh, LL with a bit of weathering will still look better than 90% of current wearers of oxfords.
That is an institutional leadership issue, not a materiel one.

Having a friendly chat with the Adjt about how many weeks of Regimental Duty you feel is an acceptable penance for a poor personal standard of dress might sort that out.

Not pebbled anymore. They use a heat gun technique and it lasts almost forever

Having a friendly chat with the Adjt about how many weeks of Regimental Duty you feel is an acceptable penance for a poor personal standard of dress might sort that out.
Meh the problem generally doesn't exist at units that have adjts or equivalents. Nor do those units generally wear 3b on a regular basis

Meh the problem generally doesn't exist at units that have adjts or equivalents. Nor do those units generally wear 3b on a regular basis
See my above posted ref The "Good Enough" School of Dress and Deportment. Inbmy world, the one where many befoee me were brought up, there is either the correct standard or being wrong. Somehow, we have allowed shades of grey in our standards, and not just the 4 Ds.

See my above posted ref The "Good Enough" School of Dress and Deportment. Inbmy world, the one where many befoee me were brought up, there is either the correct standard or being wrong. Somehow, we have allowed shades of grey in our standards, and not just the 4 Ds.
Meh, we live and work in all kinds of shades of grey. Not everything needs to be perfect, but when ya fix the CAF let us know :giggle:

*note I am not some sort of dress slacker, I took great pride in looking professional when I was in. I just realize that there are acceptable greys in many places and really focused effort on things that actually mattered.

I was having a temporary senior's moment (it passed), but some interim googling provided a few other military 4 Ds.

In his speech, the Marine Corps top lawyer set out four axioms for leadership which I found to be particularly concise and helpful. Those leadership axioms are what he named The Four D's - Direct, Decide, Delegate, and Disappear.

The term Four Ds refers to the four guiding principles of the allied occupation of Germany after World War II. Resulting from the Potsdam Conference in July to August 1945, they comprise: demilitarisation, denazification, decentralisation, and democratisation. Some historians add decartelisation or deindustrialisation to this list, creating the alternative name Five Ds.

[3] Australian land warfare doctrine describes logistic planning factors known as the ‘four Ds’ – destination, demand, distance and duration. Developing doctrine expands this to ‘five Ds’ with the addition of ‘dependency’.

So, depending on occupation, that adds up to 16 to 18 Ds.

Many years ago, a major in my directorate came in to see the boss wearing shoes that were quite below any acceptable standard. Before he went in, I asked him if he needed a shoe brush and polish . He said "my shoes look like this because I took the garbage out before work." I asked him "did you kick it all the way to the curb, sir?"

Point made and I got my shoeshine kit back later that day.

I was having a temporary senior's moment (it passed), but some interim googling provided a few other military 4 Ds.

So, depending on occupation, that adds up to 16 to 18 Ds
Ack. I feel like I have learned something today lol

Not pebbled anymore. They use a heat gun technique and it lasts almost forever
The only reason it "lasts forever" is because nobody wears high browns on a regular basis unless a member is killed, and nobody gives a shit if they look good or not when they do wear them to said funeral because of the amount of work required to polish them.

Hence they stay "polished" forever because they never get re-polished.

Alternative: Issue patent leather shoes/boots.

Pro: Looks great.

Con: Feet don’t breathe, and if it gets scuffed then you might as well get another pair.

I once saw a USAF Maj's patent shoe literally disintegrate as he smartly marched way during his promotion ceremony to LCol. It was funny as you can literally follow the trail of black material to his cubical, like Hansel and Gretel in the forest.

I once saw a USAF Maj's patent shoe literally disintegrate as he smartly marched way during his promotion ceremony to LCol. It was funny as you can literally follow the trail of black material to his cubical, like Hansel and Gretel in the forest.

A common occurrence.

Back