• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Also, the folks doing the staff work aren’t the same ones doing the other procurement you’re talking about. There can be different projects going on at once.
There can be different projects at once, but this still consumes staff from DLR, DSSPM, and DLP (not to mention briefing time from senior GOs). So, something operational is not moving (or is moving slower) so that we can bring back a uniform that is currently hanging in the British Army Museum.

That's a high waist and short trousers. Who designed it, Archie Bunker?
No. It’s a 1930’s design, so someone a little older than Archie is to blame.

There can be different projects at once, but this still consumes staff from DLR, DSSPM, and DLP (not to mention briefing time from senior GOs). So, something operational is not moving (or is moving slower) so that we can bring back a uniform that is currently hanging in the British Army Museum.

No. It’s a 1930’s design, so someone a little older than Archie is to blame.
Someone old enough to remember pre unification. Cause the good Ole days, totally get the manufacturer doesn't make the current material any more, but why change everything

Someone old enough to remember pre unification. Cause the good Ole days, totally get the manufacturer doesn't make the current material any more, but why change everything
Because it is working elsewhere?

The U.S. Army, the USMC, the British Army, etc all have moved/remained in this style of uniform (that is, a military cut uniform, not the polyester lounge suit abortion we call a uniform) and it's an identifiable brand. Heyller's experiment, while yielding some successes in logistics, training, and C2; failed to unify identity or stifle the milennia of tribalism innate with standing militaries.

Is this a throwback? Yes. Was it necessary to change everything? Perhaps, perhaps not. If folks aren't liking the uniform, if it's a reminder of that failed experiment, and it's been 50ish years without a revamp... why not give this a go?

I'm kind of looking forward to it, and I have been wearing the thing for 17 years. I don't remeber Unification, I was born two years before DEU was created, but have seen many different changes to uniforms and branding in my time that this one is just another one in the long list of undoing the sins of the past.

Hell, I'll just be happy not to bake like a meatloaf, wearing a dark polyester blend tunic, on the next Change of Regimental Colonel parade.

The U.S. Army, the USMC, the British Army, etc all have moved/remained in this style of uniform (that is, a military cut uniform, not the polyester lounge suit abortion we call a uniform) and it's an identifiable brand. Heyller's experiment, while yielding some successes in logistics, training, and C2; failed to unify identity or stifle the milennia of tribalism innate with standing militaries
If you’re expanding that to beyond “armies”, I’m not sure that the US is the best example here.

Of its services, the USMC is the only one not to have changed their uniforms several times since WWII. The current USAF service uniform makes the RCAF one look good.

Also, notice the dates. The USAF has no issue with having folks wear different uniforms at the same time.

130408-F-JZ004-244.JPG

If you’re expanding that to beyond “armies”, I’m not sure that the US is the best example here.

Of its services, the USMC is the only one not to have changed their uniforms several times since WWII. The current USAF service uniform makes the RCAF one look good.

Also, notice the dates. The USAF has no issue with having folks wear different uniforms at the same time.

130408-F-JZ004-244.JPG
According to that chart 1948 was anarchy

130408-F-JZ004-244.JPG
So it looks like from 1947 to 1991 they were trying to replicate the RAF. And from 1991 onward they hv e been trying to replicate Delta Airlines.

I would say the USAAF uniform is the best looking one of the bunch 😉

OK ... I assume officers and CWOs will be given a clothing allowance to allow them have service dress uniforms properly tailored - a Sam Browne worn on a poorly fitted/improperly tailored uniform looks sloppy. I also hope that all officers and CWOs will understand that it takes hours and bloody hours to properly polish a Sam Browne and that an unpolished belt looks sh!tty, as does the person wearing it.
Ummm bat men/persons?

Apparently swagger sticks were carried when off duty as part of their walking out uniform by other ranks prior to WWI.
I beleive it was Cpls and up, no historical basis for the Cpls Cane that I've found.

The RCMP have a technique to polish their high browns and Sam Browne that essentially makes them permanently polished.

Back