• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

bllusc

Reaction score
A new project is underway to update the Army Service Dress. A new lighter fabric, a new cut, and a new colour. The fabric will be a olive-brown colour reminiscent of pre unification army shade. The new cut will realign the buttons a bit higher (the top button in line with the top of the chest pockets) so NCO sashes and belts will fit properly. The buttons will be slightly larger and the jacket itself will be easier to alter to accommodate various shapes. Gone will be the 1960/70s mint green shirt. The colours will be more in line with muted military colours found in uniforms during the earlier part of the 20th century. Much like CANSOFCOM and the US Army has gone back to a vintage look, the hope is that the Army Service Dress will follow suit. Service caps, are back as an optional head wear item and they will follow suit with the new dress. Interest in Sam Brown belts for CWOs and Officers is also alive. After 50 years of the unification dark green uniform, this will be a welcome change back to the traditional army colouring and cut.

A new project is underway to update the Army Service Dress. A new lighter fabric, a new cut, and a new colour. The fabric will be a olive-brown colour reminiscent of pre unification army shade. The new cut will realign the buttons a bit higher (the top button in line with the top of the chest pockets) so NCO sashes and belts will fit properly. The buttons will be slightly larger and the jacket itself will be easier to alter to accommodate various shapes. Gone will be the 1960/70s mint green shirt. The colours will be more in line with muted military colours found in uniforms during the earlier part of the 20th century. Much like CANSOFCOM and the US Army has gone back to a vintage look, the hope is that the Army Service Dress will follow suit. Service caps, are back as an optional head wear item and they will follow suit with the new dress. Interest in Sam Brown belts for CWOs and Officers is also alive. After 50 years of the unification dark green uniform, this will be a welcome change back to the traditional army colouring and cut.
Going to follow this. Very interesting. Not sure how it going to look with purple dreadlocks and nose rings that members can now wear.

Ah niche dress dinosaurs are getting their wishes... Nothing better than reinventing the wheel and rolling back the clock to please a small cadre of folks who have fond memories

Hopefully putees are on the docket as well

Ah niche dress dinosaurs are getting their wishes... Nothing better than reinventing the wheel and rolling back the clock to please a small cadre of folks who have fond memories

Hopefully putees are on the docket as well

1968 was 55 years ago. An 18 year old issued khakis in 1967 and required to switch to greens in 1968 is now 73 years old. Don't know there are many 73 year olds still serving.

You can blame us boomers for a lot but I suspect this is all Millenial.

1968 was 55 years ago. An 18 year old issued khakis in 1967 and required to switch to greens in 1968 is now 73 years old. Don't know there are many 73 year olds still serving.

You can blame us boomers for a lot but I suspect this is all Millenial.
Sure, you are assuming that they are still serving. Lots of retired dinosaurs either in DND public service or through other means exert their influence in a variety of ways.

The ones I have met in my service were generally all older senior officers who matriculated in the 70/80s on those from that era.

I have met very few people that joined in the mid 90s and on that think they way but they do exist for sizzle. I know a few for sure...

Like the change to pips and crowns, I suspect this is being pushed by folks that harken back to pre 1968 days and think we lost some sort of prestige ignoring the fact that the current entire generation plus have lived and existed under the current uniform without care or recollection of what existed beforehand

Sure, you are assuming that they are still serving. Lots of retired dinosaurs either in DND public service or through other means exert their influence in a variety of ways.

The ones I have met in my service were generally all older senior officers who matriculated in the 70/80s on those from that era.

I have met very few people that joined in the mid 90s and on that think they way but they do exist for sizzle. I know a few for sure...

Like the change to pips and crowns I suspect this is being pushed by folks that harken back to pre 1968 days and think we lost some sort of prestige ignoring the fact that the entire generation plus have lived in existed under the current uniform without care or recollection of what existed beforehand

Well, FWIW, this dinosaur likes the Rifle Green uniform precisely because it is both distinct from the Brits and Yanks but has a distinctly Canadian heritage that both the Brits and Yanks share.

Rangers, Voltigeurs, Lt Bobs and Rifles are all Canadian.

Don't have to be a dinosaur. At the time, I despised the '70s/'80s work dress. I preferred the short-lived tan DEU over the greens.

People who prefer today's uniforms are simply today's dinosaurs in the making.

More important things to do than uniform rewrites, though.

Well, FWIW, this dinosaur likes the Rifle Green uniform precisely because it is both distinct from the Brits and Yanks but has a distinctly Canadian heritage that both the Brits and Yanks share.

Rangers, Voltigeurs, Lt Bobs and Rifles are all Canadian.
Don't get me wrong. I really loved the tan uniform but at the end of the day the green didn't kill us. We didn't wear it that much and if the cut needs to be improved then by all means do so.

Just hate watching us waste energy on things that don't really matter on things that are being pushed by those that aren't affected by the opportunity cost.

I'll watch this and you can expect me to chime in every so often. I agree with Army Rick - it won't go well with the purple hair and nail polish crowd.

I'll watch this and you can expect me to chime in every so often. I agree with Army Rick - it won't go well with the purple hair and nail polish crowd.
Likely true because they aren't dummies attached to some bygone era. They are much smarter in many ways and realize that effort wasted in one area is effort not put into things that actually matter for current serving members.

Likely true because they aren't dummies attached to some bygone era. They are much smarter in many ways and realize that effort wasted in one area is effort not put into things that actually matter for current serving members.
Truth is, this should have been done back when the three elements split back into their 3 DEUs (4 if you include tans). They were in a dress changing mood anyways.

If they get troops to get back to a simple hair cut and rather normal grooming standards (hey most civy jobs won't hire you in jobs if you have outrageous hair/nails/other me, me, me statements) then I will be the first to say, I think this new DEU will look good (possibly better than old dark green DEUs).

Funny story, I was wearing my DEU on rememberance day several moons ago when I was a Forester in civy land. An older gentlemen who had come from Rhodesia when it existed, commented on how our uniform looked like the RLI dress uniform.

Truth is, this should have been done back when the three elements split back into their 3 DEUs (4 if you include tans). They were in a dress changing mood anyways.

If they get troops to get back to a simple hair cut and rather normal grooming standards (hey most civy jobs won't hire you in jobs if you have outrageous hair/nails/other me, me, me statements) then I will be the first to say, I think this new DEU will look good (possibly better than old dark green DEUs).

Funny story, I was wearing my DEU on rememberance day several moons ago when I was a Forester in civy land. An older gentlemen who had come from Rhodesia when it existed, commented on how our uniform looked like the RLI dress uniform.

Amazingly the world got over women wearing pants to work without issue (among many other things were prophesized to cause the collapse of the western world/militaries)

Who cares what they look like if they can do their job? The Infantry guys I work with in 2017 in Latvia were miles smarter than the guys I went to Afghanistan 2008 and no better or worse at their jobs. I have no doubt that has been the case throughout history. Some of the battle group like the Italians & Spanish already had relaxed grooming standards and they seem to be okay soldiers but I guess maybe long hair makes you not disciplined or something. Someone should have told JTF2 though, have you seen those useless twat's beards and hair? Clearly not good soldiers with that kind of grooming.....

I'm sick and tired of catering to niche groups. The word uniform has both a practical meaning and a functional purpose. I have a generally progressive attitude to most social things. Kowtowing every time some Woke person passes gas has gone too far already and needs curbing.

Let the outrage begin.

🍻

That's awesome!

People should have a uniform that looks and feels good to wear. The current DEUs are neither stylish nor comfortable.

Back