• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Updated Army Service Dress project

Well, FWIW, this dinosaur likes the Rifle Green uniform precisely because it is both distinct from the Brits and Yanks but has a distinctly Canadian heritage that both the Brits and Yanks share.

Rangers, Voltigeurs, Lt Bobs and Rifles are all Canadian.
Your elders didn't have to force their green shit on us fish heads.........just sayin.

I'm sick and tired of catering to niche groups. The word uniform has both a practical meaning and a functional purpose. I have a generally progressive attitude to most social things. Kowtowing every time some Woke person passes gas has gone too far already and needs curbing.

Let the outrage begin.

🍻
I too am tired about niche groups hanging onto things and pushing changes on others...:p

Is there some metric that highlights that "lowered" dress somehow make a military less efficient? Personally I think people look silly in uniform with weird hair and the like but I can also realize that my opinion doesn't matter nor does their appearance affect their ability to do their role.

Last edited:
As per normal, the usual lower deck lawyers and such will push the edges of the regulations and then settle down to the baseline once the shock factor wears off.

As per normal, the usual lower deck lawyers and such will push the edges of the regulations and then settle down to the baseline once the shock factor wears off.
Once the novelty of looking odd compared to the average person wears off, most I suspect will revert back to a slightly shaggier version of the previous regs.

Back to the topic though, if peaked caps coming back to the army, I think it's a massive step in the right direction.

Well, FWIW, this dinosaur likes the Rifle Green uniform precisely because it is both distinct from the Brits and Yanks but has a distinctly Canadian heritage that both the Brits and Yanks share.

Rangers, Voltigeurs, Lt Bobs and Rifles are all Canadian.

Too bad it's not really 'rifle green' then, eh? ;)

So I actually read the BN this afternoon before commenting here.

The main driving force is that the Rifle Green gabardine wool used in our DEUs is no longer made and is running out of stock. The follow on effects are also cut and fit and comfort: They are hard to do drill in, they're hot as fuck in all seasons, and in some cases, button placement looks right fucked because of body types being different from the cut. Also, our kilted regiments complained that trying to get the current cut tailored into a doublet was a pain in the ass.

This was all was staffed, vetted, and received support from EVERY advisory council. The supply issue itself is justification alone for a redesign.

The colour change, design, heritage throwback thing seems to be a "while we're forced to do this...." opportunity thing.

Do I think this is the most crucial or riveting thing to come out of DLR? Nope. Is it interesting and "oh neat?!" Yes.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming

Oh, dear gods! If you wanted a reason to downsize NDHQ by, say, 60% - a totally arbitrary cut: all those with initials from A through N, including folks named Eyre and Allen, are fired as off tomorrow morning - then this is it.

Sailors, soldiers and Air Force members need easy-care, comfortable working outfits to cover a variety of situations from close combat to boarding other ships to fixing delicate electronic devices and staring at computer screens. Not one of those activities ever requires a tie. After we get rid of most of the admirals and generals, we need to get rid of every high collared tunic, then get rid of every flippin' tunic with any collar at all and then make all the ties and swords and sashes illegal. J_ _ s H f k g C _ _ _T, if this is good enough to guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier then it's good enough to do any job that any CF member might be called up to do anywhere, ever.

Attachments

• 4.-sutherland-read-out-guards-orders.jpg
    4.-sutherland-read-out-guards-orders.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 9
Oh, dear gods! If you wanted a reason to downsize NDHQ by, say, 60% - a totally arbitrary cut: all those with initials from A through N, including folks named Eyre and Allen, are fired as off tomorrow morning - then this is it.

Sailors, soldiers and Air Force members need easy-care, comfortable working outfits to cover a variety of situations from close combat to boarding other ships to fixing delicate electronic devices and staring at computer screens. Not one of those activities ever requires a tie. After we get rid of most of the admirals and generals, we need to get rid of every high collared tunic, then get rid of every flippin' tunic with any collar at all and then make all the ties and swords and sashes illegal. J_ _ s H f k g C _ _ _T, if this is good enough to guard the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier then it's good enough to do any job that any CF member might be called up to do anywhere, ever.
I apologize for the language, but ...

Attachments

• bozo081230.gif
    bozo081230.gif
    81.5 KB · Views: 19

The main driving force is that the Rifle Green gabardine wool used in our DEUs is no longer made and is running out of stock. The follow on effects are also cut and fit and comfort: They are hard to do drill in, they're hot as fuck in all seasons, and in some cases, button placement looks right fucked because of body types being different from the cut. Also, our kilted regiments complained that trying to get the current cut tailored into a doublet was a pain in the ass.

This was all was staffed, vetted, and received support from EVERY advisory council. The supply issue itself is justification alone for a redesign.

The colour change, design, heritage throwback thing seems to be a "while we're forced to do this...." opportunity thing.

Do I think this is the most crucial or riveting thing to come out of DLR? Nope. Is it interesting and "oh neat?!" Yes.

Best comment in this thread bar none. If it makes sense to change it then do it. If it doesn't make sense, don't do it.

I disagree with the heritage aspect of it. Just figure out what is the best cut for the majority of the Canadian Army and carry on. Don't try and recreate 1967 but that is just my opinion based on seeing enough vanity projects getting pushed rather than what we need as a fighting force

@rmc_wannabe Thanks for that!

I too am tired about niche groups hanging onto things and everything those changes on others...:p

Is there some metric that highlights that "lowered" dress somehow make a military less efficient? Personally I think people look silly in uniform with weird hair and the like but I can also realize that my opinion doesn't matter nor does their appearance affect their ability to do their role.
I'm kind of with @Brad Sallows on those hanging on to the greens are today's dinosaurs defending the status quo. Uniforms need a refresh every so often otherwise we'd still be wearing powdered wigs and leather stocks on our necks (what, for all that's holy, is the use is a tie by the way).

I'm the older type of dinosaur who started in tan and went to green and loathed it not because I thought the tan was terrific but because I thought the green was a shapeless bus driver's outfit that made didn't make me stand out in the crowd. At heart there's a little bit of peacock in all of us and I was one of those proud to walk out in my uniform until it became a shapeless sack. As it is we've been continuously tweaking the uniform with numerous little touches here and there that have taken it and made it a bit more attractive then when it first came out in 1969/1970.

Greens have had a half century run. That's enough, thank you very much.

And yes. IMHO dress does have something to do with efficiency. People who can't tow the line on simple things like looking like soldiers and insist on their own personalized tweaks are peacocks as well but for the wrong reasons. Want to stand out? Do something worthwhile to win those little badges you add to the uniform that tell of your life's stories and accomplishments.

But then, my uniform (the green one) was hung up quite some time ago. All we have in this forum are our opinions. It's not like any of us are making the big calls.

Your elders didn't have to force their green shit on us fish heads.........just sayin.

Fair enough - I was thinking of the Army. Rifle green is not an Ordnance, Navy or Air Force colour.

Second thought

The QORCs in the rear, also in the shadows, seem similarly shaded to the hairy one.

Now if the DEU was in a nice melton or a barathea that colour might indeed work better.

If you have a look at the Fabulous Patricia's, with the flowing locks at the dais, DEU with the very nice and historic Rifle Green of the QOR folks, you will no doubt agree that his 'Bus Driver Green' is both different, and inferior ;)

View attachment 76420
And the only person in that picture that looks, from her attire, that she might be even remotely associated with the defence of Canada in the 21st century is the flippin' minister; she at least looks like she might be in charge of something.

And the only person in that picture that looks, from her attire, that she might be even remotely associated with the defence of Canada in the 21st century is the flippin' minister; she at least looks like she might be in charge of something.

1676416055055.jpeg

Short waisted, double breasted tunic
tight breaches
crevate/stock

As you said - looking like they're in charge....

The main driving force is that the Rifle Green gabardine wool used in our DEUs is no longer made and is running out of stock.
So, uh, how about the blue wool? Should I start the RCAF thread on this on spec?

I'm guessing it'll be "RFC vs RAF" style bun-fighting :sneaky:

rfc-service-dress.jpg
deliveryService

^^
Just go RNAS and we're down to two styles of uniforms for the CAF!

9781780965406_img1.jpg

Think About It GIF by Identity

Back